Home U.S. Coin Forum

America the Beautiful 2011 Five Ounce "Coins" - Anticipation Thread......Updated, took the

How are you feeling about the minting, release, and/or purchasing of the next group of 5 ounce pucks?

Like'm?

Hate'm?

Could care less?

What do you think the interest will be--heightened or lessened with regard to the first group?

bumanchu

Just took the plunge on the first two from A-Mark. Their website states they will be PCGS graded or NGC graded. When I went through checkout the statement was that I would receive PCGS graded coins. We shall see.
And I ain't lying this time.

Comments

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of the series. ATB?
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Come on you guys its all right here. If there are different threads made I will probably miss them because the mega ATB thread is about all I am reading these days image.

Edit: I like them and am kind of excited for them. Concerned though about cherry picking this year though unless you buy a whole roll. Whereas last years we got to buy them from the source which is a rare opportunity for most AP's since we only could buy one set.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Come on you guys its all right here. If there are different threads made I will probably miss them because the mega ATB thread is about all I am reading these days image.

>>

He is asking about the 2011's, not the 2010's.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Are you referring to the 2010 collector's editions or 2011s?

I like them, though they aren't perfect. There is a lot of canvas there....I'm not sure if they are using it as wisely as they could. Especially on the Washington side. I have to admit that some aspects of these are a little "cartoony." A move to 2.5" might help that, if they don't change things up a bit.

The 2011 designs--IMO--are superior to this year's.

Should be an interesting 10+ year run. Especially with the antics so far. Collecting this series is my personal priority. It combines two of my loves, so it's a no-brainer for me.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    Since it appears people still don't know what these are/how to order a set (of the 2010's) I am pretty sure FideliTrade still has some at least up until a couple of days ago. They had a lot of people cancel on them due to their packaging and people ordering multiples for the same address. Anyway, fill out this form and mail it in. They are $929.20. I can't guarantee anything but I know somebody who just mailed one in and got a confirmation email already.
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you referring to the 2010 collector's editions or 2011s? >>

I think the cherry picking could be awfully tempting and lucrative at least initially if the one per household policy is still enforced. Full rolls would probably be dicey as well because I don't think they would be mint sealed.

Time will tell.
    I am guessing the mint will try really hard to not have to make the one per household limit be enforced again by making a whole bunch before releasing them to the AP's. Also now that the AP's see what a hassle it is some probably wont sign on this year to sell them if there is a limit enforced.
  • I'm wondering how I'm going to get PL bullion coins at a reasonable price, even if they make many more than in 2010. These are going to be cherrypicked to death.

I also don't know if I'm going to collect the bullion series or the collectible series. For some reason, I think I am going to hate the finish on the collectible version.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    I just thought of it but what if the person in charge of sandblasting the 27,000 numismatic coins for 2010 messes up, could there be substantially less than 27,000 for sale? I kind of think I like the bullion variety if they can eventually make them all PL or at least lessen the die polish lines. The bullion varieties are probably the only way I could possibly afford making a set, I have a feeling the numismatic ones will be priced too high.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...because I don't think they would be mint sealed. >>

Well, even the ASE rolls are not truly sealed.

The cap pops on and off easily.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

<< <i>...because I don't think they would be mint sealed. >>

Well, even the ASE rolls are not truly sealed.

The cap pops on and off easily. >>

My point exactly, then compare mintages to the ASE's and you see the recipe for a handsome profit for taking a peek. Not that anyone would do that!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "How are you feeling about the minting, release, and/or purchasing of the next group of 5 ounce pucks?"

I'm still waiting for the first group of 5-ounce pucks; where are those "collector" versions?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wake me up when these are at spot+$10/per, like they're supposed to be, then I'll buy.

• << <i>Wake me up when these are at spot+$10/per, like they're supposed to be, then I'll buy. >>

Well I guess you slept too long 'cuz that comes to $902.50/set and they have already sold for less or near that price....the most I've paid for any of my 5 sets was $920
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wake me up when these are at spot+$10/per, like they're supposed to be, then I'll buy. >>

Well I guess you slept too long 'cuz that comes to $902.50/set and they have already sold for less or near that price....the most I've paid for any of my 5 sets was $920 >>

I'm still sleeping then as I wasn't about to jump through all the hoops to get any of the first batch ones. Glad for anybody that got theirs cheap though. Wonder what the pricing will be from the mint.

Amark selling first two until midnight Pacific tonight

• << <i>Amark selling first two until midnight Pacific tonight >>

What happens at midnight? Do they turn into pumpkins?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

Ask them. Maybe they will have sold all of their DMPL's if I'm lucky.image

May have to wait up to 60 days to receive coins.

Does this mean they haven't been sent to graders yet??

What say you?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file