Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Old Soldier just "fades away". Frank Buckles passes on, age 110. Post an 1901 co

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
As time passes, so do all things. Our last World War One veteran, Frank Buckles of West Virginia, passed away at age 110.

Comments

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    This is on the way. Can you guess from where? image

Mike
  • I was just reading up on and learning about him last week via the web site dedicated to him! image

Edited for spelling.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad.. an end to a significant chapter of American human history. Cheers, RickO
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Wow, what he saw over the years.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hero from a by gone era. Rest in peace!

I would've bought him a beer with this in 1918.

imageimage

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How sad. Godspeed, Mr. Buckles.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In honer for his service to our country.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, Mr. Buckles. Had the last Civil War widow been alive today, she'd only be 104.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RIP, Mr. Buckles. Had the last Civil War widow been alive today, she'd only be 104. >>

How is that?
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>RIP, Mr. Buckles. Had the last Civil War widow been alive today, she'd only be 104. >>

How is that? >>

There were some very young women who married Civil War vets very close to their deaths. In some cases, these young women were caregivers, and the marriages were entered into so as to provide these women with the meager widows benefits provided.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
    I find it interesting that Cpl. Buckles recalled hearing British veterans describe their experiences from the 1850s in the Crimean War. I wonder who the last person was who heard first-hand accounts of the Revolutionary War?
  • God bless him.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that in 2009 he went before Congress to show his support for a monument to WW1 soldiers but I dont know the current status of that project.
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How is that? >>

There were some very young women who married Civil War vets very close to their deaths. In some cases, these young women were caregivers, and the marriages were entered into so as to provide these women with the meager widows benefits provided. >>

Great history info, may I add another? Our tenth President, John Tyler (1841-1845), has two living grandsons; yes, that's right, GRANDSONs.

Harrison Tyler is alive and well, playing tennis age 83. Our family had the privilege of meeting him about a year ago for a personal tour of Fort Pocahontas with some home-educating friends.

This is how YOUNG a country we are.

edited to add coin, not mine, but a perennial favorite image

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that in 2009 he went before Congress to show his support for a monument to WW1 soldiers but I dont know the current status of that project. >>

I happen to know the answer to this... There is apparently a WW1 Memorial in Washington D.C. (who knew) but it is in bad shape. A project is under construction to renovate it and re-dedicate the Memorial. My brother owns some farm land in up-state NY and on that land is a quarry. In a competitive bid, his quarry won the contract to supply the stone for the renovation contract for the WW1 Memorial. He is very proud of that fact as there were many many proposals for the supply and he recently visited the project. He did comment that the reason he won the bid was not because of the quality of he quarry stone, but rather because his stone most closely matched the appearance and color of the existing well-worn stone at the Memorial.

Tom

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<<<<My Icon 1901-O Half dollar salutes him.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only is his service and his adventurous life impressive, but he also worked for the White Star Line, which to an ocean liner memorabilia collector like me is very cool.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • The reunion in the sky is at long last complete. RIP Mr. Bucklesl.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

• << <i>I find it interesting that Cpl. Buckles recalled hearing British veterans describe their experiences from the 1850s in the Crimean War. I wonder who the last person was who heard first-hand accounts of the Revolutionary War? >>

Wow! That's a lot of ground to cover by word of mouth. My Great Great Great Great Grandfather was in the charge! Into the valley of Death Rode the six hundred!

RIP Frank Buckles. You've made your country proud!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been reading about Frank Buckles and other supercentenarians for the last year or so. They fascinate me.

What a life he had.

Here he is at age 17 during the war (when he was only 16- lied about his age to join up).

And here he is at 106, in 2007.

A piece of living American history has gone into... well... history. Hats off- we salute, you, Mr. Buckles.

Now, the coins. As it happens, I collect 1901 British Empire Queen Victoria portrait coins for my daughter, Victoria, so I have a LOT of 1901 coins. But not so many US ones, so I will have to post a Barber half which was part of my raw VG set until recently.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh- speaking of World War One- does anybody have a clue on this weird old token? It's not from 1901 when Buckles was born, but more like from the era when he served in the war, I reckon. I bought it for the car on the front- it was one of those cheapo eBay impulse bids, for a dollar or two.

It has an early automobile on one side and St. Christopher(?) on the other?

I think it looks like the car Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife were assassinated in at Sarajevo in 1914, thereby kicking off WW1. Look- see 'em there in the backseat, with their plumed hats? 23.5 mm, copper or bronze.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like yesterday the last Spanish-American war veterans, Nathan Cook and Jones Morgan, died in 1992 and 1993.

RIP, veterans, we'll try to do right by the country you won for us :flag;

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Mr. Buckles

Was reading this story and then did some web searching and thought it was pretty amazing that as of 2009 there were still 2 dependent children collecting Civil War pension benefits!

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

<< <i>I think it looks like the car Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife were assassinated in at Sarajevo in 1914, thereby kicking off WW1.

image >>

Moments before the assassination:

<< <i>Not only is his service and his adventurous life impressive, but he also worked for the White Star Line, which to an ocean liner memorabilia collector like me is very cool. >>

And he shipped out to Europe aboard the Carpathia... which you'll remember as a Cunard liner with a very important historical tie to the White Star Line (and which itself was sunk in July 1918 by a U-Boot).

• << <i>Not only is his service and his adventurous life impressive, but he also worked for the White Star Line, which to an ocean liner memorabilia collector like me is very cool. >>

Hello,

I believe Mr. Buckles was aboard the Carpathia shortly before she was sunk in 1917. I too have a strong interest in the old liners. One thing I have in my collections is a small section of the wreck of the Lusitania from the 1982 O.I. expedition. My real interest is in her sister, Mauretania. Which liners fascinate you?

Best wishes,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file