Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anybody know if 1990 PCGS holdered coins were conservatively graded in general that year?

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curiousimage

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 2010 pcgs slab coin that _ _ _ gold stickered. I also had a rattler that didnt sticker.

What do you think of the coin?

I think the answer you are looking for is yes. Pcgs tended to be a little less strict in 1990. However- Even back in 1990 they overgraded coins as well.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pcgs tended to be a little less strict in 1990. However- Even back in 1990 they overgraded coins as well. >>

Doesn't that mean the same thing?
    Lance.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    In any year, for every series, you are going to find some slight variation. Knowing what year a coin was slabbed wouldn't make me pay extra for it. Look at the coin and try to make an educated decision.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realone:

This PCGS 4 slab began production in January 1990 through early 1995. In the first half of 1990, PCGS was incredibly tight as prices were very, very high, particularly in Morgans, walkers, mercs in mint state grades. When prices crashed in 1990, the grading gradually loosened but on a very minor scale. In my opinion, the latter period of this slab (1994-1995) was the era of the birth of the evolution of grading from technical grading to market grading. A huge number of these earlier 1990-1993 slabs have already been upgraded so what is left are mostly strong for the grade slabs.

Relatively few overgraded PCGS slabs in this era.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has an idea what to expect for a MS65 grade, at least after viewing a few hundred coins, they learn what they don't want in a coin. Take each coin one at a time. Most coins only need a quick glance, usually the strike and any damage pretty much sums it up for most series.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file