Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You have got to be kidding me!! Make your own AT!! Makes me want to vomit!

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    HRH might want to get some of this for the old sniffer!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    My God...
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw this posted somewhere else a few days ago.

Frankly, I wanted to buy it. For edification not nefarious purposes.

It is a bit worrying.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    WOW!
    It will be interesting to read the FBs of the buyers to see when they start selling their instant toners.
    Ed
  • Options
    The coin docs strike back. image
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Not exactly news stuff like that has been around for a long time.
    Same stuff different name I would guess?
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin docs strike back. image >>

Kinda makes you wonder.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy went away for years, and I see he's back. In the summer of 2005 he lifted a picture of mine and used it in his auction. Some back-and-forth letters drafted by a lawyer friend and a few days later I had $50 in my pocket image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>That guy went away for years, and I see he's back. In the summer of 2005 he lifted a picture of mine and used it in his auction. Some back-and-forth letters drafted by a lawyer friend and a few days later I had $50 in my pocket image >>

Good for you Jeremy!! This guy is a crook of the worst kind....enabling others to be crooks.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    So, what is this stuff? Would the EPA be interested? Would the USPS be interested?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>So, what is this stuff? Would the EPA be interested? Would the USPS be interested? >>

I'm sure PCGS would be interested to see what this crap is. Probably a liquid sulfer solution.

• Options
    All of a sudden, the value of nicely toned coins becomes equal to the value of non-toned/blast white coins. As it should be.

Ironic.
  • Options
    It need not be much more than clorox in a little bottle. Chlorine will tone a silver coin blue, just need a little vapor.

BTW - Have you seen the quotes of "feedback" in the auction... whoa
  • Options
    Anyone can tone a coin.. to tone one that has the NT color progression artificially is tough. None of those coins in the pictures would get slabbed in a PCGS holder if you ask me. If it was so good, I would be charging $100,000 for the secret. I wouldn't take it seriously unless he posts results with NT looking coins. The buyers are just amateaurs who have no idea what a NT coin should look like. It's probably some sulfur solution.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Come on, the three coins the guy has listed are gross. So me thinks the OP is pulling our leg.

I think in one minute flat I could teach a brand new collector to weed these coins out of pile of NT coins. Surely collectors on this site look at enough coins to make the same differentiation.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    It looks like liver of sulfur to me...it has a yellow tint; My sister uses it on jewelry. Very cheap stuff, you could make gallons of it for 20 bucks.
  • Options
    A little bottle of "juice" on Ebay is not gonna effect the toning market. The toning market is here to stay against the wishes of some collectors.
  • Options

<< <i>All of a sudden, the value of nicely toned coins becomes equal to the value of non-toned/blast white coins. As it should be.

Ironic. >>

Not quite image Lets not forget about some of the other things that you can buy on Ebay such as ->> http://cgi.ebay.com/12-E-Zest-Coin-Jewelry-Cleaner-5oz-Gold-Silver-E-Z-Est-/300521355368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f877f868#ht_1895wt_798
  • Options
    100% Natural Coin Toner Solution

I got a kick out of their use of the word "Natural".
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    people sometimes forget, this is still america, where things that arent illegal to own can still openly be bought and sold, im sure a few of you will buy some just to leave the guy negative feedback, even if the stuff works just like he says it will.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    If those coins were simply put up on a new thread how many people would come back saying NT??? I think quite a few
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of his glowing endorsements were written by the same under-educated shill.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I am not pulling anyone's leg. I believe that empowering the uneducated with the tools to deceive is wrong. Overnight coin doctors is something this hobby needs less of.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Customer Feedback
    WOW!!THIS STUFF IS UNBELIEVEABLE!! well i took your advise,i started with some circulated silver rosevelt dimes.1st one was blacker than the ace of spades,by the time i did about 4 dimes i was starting to make some decent dimes.then i moved up to my au kennedy silver .50 cent pieces,man those turned out very nice.this stuff works pretty dog-gone fast,it needs to come of in a jiffy.i'm glad i took your advise doing a trial test with my cheapies,i tried it on a 1975 dime,it didn't appear to even phase it.but this stuff reacts super fast with pure silver.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello I bought some of your toner, it is the great, I would like to purchase some more alot more, is this possable? I noticed you have only two available on auction i wan more and more, I did some coins they are so awesome, I tried it on the new quarters beautiful, morgans beautiful, peace dollars beautiful, I have trying to figure out for along time how to do this, you have the process you should market this. does not damage the coin or anything, I would like to buy alot of it.I love your product keep up the good work.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi, i resently won some of ur coin toner.it works great thanks...won 2 more last night...i want to know if u can sell me this product in larger amounts...and if so how much do u have and for how much...please let me know asap... thank you..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello again,i'm surprised at the results of this stuff.i plan to order again after you have this stuff with the screw-off lids.i have already left positive feedback for you,i would appreciate the same.thanks again
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I could use a gallon, I totally love your product man you should see the coins I did they are awesome. No seriously make me an offer and put together some volume, I am not going to resale it in no way, my friends are going to freak when they see this, do you know how long I have been trying to make something to do this about 3 years no such luck. I know how to tone a penny and they look natural and great,you will be amazed at all the colors they are really nice, I made about 100. The problem I had is taking a picture and the colors showing on a copper coin. You started something I will be one of your big customer on this. I might let my friends no about you maybe. Anyway, put together a package deal and let me know I want this right away, I will even pay for fast shipping. >>

Is it just me or does this sound like five customer reviews from the same 'customer'?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LETS GET EM!! image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Use w/Morgan Peace Silver Franklin Dollar >>

But what if I don't have any Morgan Peace Silver Franklin Dollars?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Come on, the three coins the guy has listed are gross. So me thinks the OP is pulling our leg.

I think in one minute flat I could teach a brand new collector to weed these coins out of pile of NT coins. Surely collectors on this site look at enough coins to make the same differentiation. >>

What are some of the tell tell signs of an artificially toned coin vs a naturally toned one?
    "When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So, what is this stuff? Would the EPA be interested? Would the USPS be interested? >>

I'm sure PCGS would be interested to see what this crap is. Probably a liquid sulfer solution. >>

Liver of sulfur?

Cheers

You would think he would sell a cleaning dip to go with it.
  • Options
    image I thought the same thing
  • Options
    Hopefully PCGS takes notice of this new chemical that turns normal folks into Dr.Coin Jekyll's (nice one LordM) and put it to the list of chems the sniffer will be testing for.

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i tried to search tone a coin / tone-a-coin, may want to include that in the title.

<< <i>100% Natural Coin Toner Solution

I got a kick out of their use of the word "Natural". >>

this is my favorite: My method and formula will not damage or destroy your coin because the actual solution will never come in contact with your coin.
    dont forget your respirator!

this must be who is buying it... http://shop.ebay.com/lejeuene/m.html
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or does this sound like five customer reviews from the same 'customer'? >>

Yea, he only had a few FBs.

Ed
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a special discount if you are a member of that group that allows coin doctors? P something or other?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not pulling anyone's leg. I believe that empowering the uneducated with the tools to deceive is wrong. Overnight coin doctors is something this hobby needs less of. >>

Oh I agree and don't get me started. Education is key, but I fear board members don't bother to take the time to look at enough toned coins to really begin to see that there is tremendous nuance, there are patterns by date/mm, there are known and unknown colors for date/mm of each series. It's like they look at a kid's painting and say it's a Picasso, or a Picasso and say it's a kid's painting.

Learning the nuances is the key to unlocking the AT/NT debate. Sticking to one series, and even a date range and looking at all the coins you can possibly get a hold is what it takes. This will save you 90% of the time in my estimation, in my opinion, maybe more. The rest honestly, we often leave up to PCGS, but even then it helps to be suspicious and to watch for new evolving patterns or new AT techniques. One emerged about six months or a year ago and astute collectors caught on, PCGS did too but not right away.

Let me restate:

Is there anybody posting on this board, who has collected coins for more than a couple weeks who is really fooled by the completely amateur toning depicted on the Ebay site in the OP?

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a bummer, more stuff the docs can work on now image
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy or use that in a million years but as much as I hate to say it like someone else said, it's America. People are free to do this whether we like it or not.
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am not pulling anyone's leg. I believe that empowering the uneducated with the tools to deceive is wrong. Overnight coin doctors is something this hobby needs less of. >>

Oh I agree and don't get me started. Education is key, but I fear board members don't bother to take the time to look at enough toned coins to really begin to see that there is tremendous nuance, there are patterns by date/mm, there are known and unknown colors for date/mm of each series. It's like they look at a kid's painting and say it's a Picasso, or a Picasso and say it's a kid's painting.

Learning the nuances is the key to unlocking the AT/NT debate. Sticking to one series, and even a date range and looking at all the coins you can possibly get a hold is what it takes. This will save you 90% of the time in my estimation, in my opinion, maybe more. The rest honestly, we often leave up to PCGS, but even then it helps to be suspicious and to watch for new evolving patterns or new AT techniques. One emerged about six months or a year ago and astute collectors caught on, PCGS did too but not right away.

Let me restate:

Is there anybody posting on this board, who has collected coins for more than a couple weeks who is really fooled by the completely amateur toning depicted on the Ebay site in the OP? >>

No that wasn't the intent of the Orignal Post. It was to show people what the toning craze has become. Yes there are individuals out there who would be fooled. Most likely newbies to the coin game.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anybody posting on this board, who has collected coins for more than a couple weeks who is really fooled by the completely amateur toning depicted on the Ebay site in the OP?

Well, uuuhhmmmm, if you put it that way........well, gosh.......of course not. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>100% Natural Coin Toner Solution

I got a kick out of their use of the word "Natural". >>

Yeah, at least he didn't say 'Organic'.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    The auctions for this stuff are all over ebay... musta seen a dozen auctions already... disgusting image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file