Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

QDB prefers PCGS and...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
In this weeks CW's QDB column, Mr. Bowers instructs his minion at FUN to purchase a complete set of PCGS dollars in PCGS/CAC MS-64.

Longacre, when you get your print copy in 6 weeks, you can read about it and the lesson learned.

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...it was a good read. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

That echoes like a scream in the Grand Canyon....
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In this weeks CW's QDB column, Mr. Bowers instructs his minion at FUN to purchase a complete set of PCGS dollars in PCGS/CAC MS-64. >>

Even a monkey could do that.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It's nice to have servants.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In this weeks CW's QDB column, Mr. Bowers instructs his minion at FUN to purchase a complete set of PCGS dollars in PCGS/CAC MS-64. >>

Even a monkey could do that. >>

Most Monkeys do...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QDB was recommending MS63's two decades ago....how did they work out? Since a MS63 back then is now a 64.....pretty much the same recommendation.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>QDB was recommending MS63's two decades ago....how did they work out? Since a MS63 back then is now a 64.....pretty much the same recommendation.

roadrunner >>

He was not making a recommendation. QDB was buying for himself. I thought that it was interesting that he was not interested in NGC/CAC coins or plain jane PCGS coins.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>QDB was recommending MS63's two decades ago....how did they work out? Since a MS63 back then is now a 64.....pretty much the same recommendation.

roadrunner >>

Ain't that the truth. And those 63's now come in 64 slabs with that little football to boot.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that it was interesting that he was not interested in NGC/CAC coins or plain jane PCGS coins.

If I were building such a set I'd do the same thing. Better liquidity, better price support, limited product available, sight-unseen buys available, etc.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Longacre, when you get your print copy in 6 weeks, you can read about it and the lesson learned. >>

How do you know my beloved QDB doesn't send me a draft of his article each week? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    My eyes always glaze over when I hear about someone putting together a set of coins in one specific grade let alone a specific grade with a CAC sticker. That is just collecting plastic and labels. How about actually looking at the coins inside? Surprised Bowers has given in to the slab/label craze.
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I was amazed by this article..good advice.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QDB recently sold some of his collections at auction and took a bath on a lot of them.Would you follow his lead on dollars ?
  • Options
    I would expect that most very knowledgeable dealers building a collection would buy nice coins however they found them, raw or slabbed by whoever, and then crack or cross and then sticker them to their hearts content.

• Options

<< <i>My eyes always glaze over when I hear about someone putting together a set of coins in one specific grade let alone a specific grade with a CAC sticker. That is just collecting plastic and labels. How about actually looking at the coins inside? Surprised Bowers has given in to the slab/label craze. >>

Really? Do you have any evidence leading to the conclusion that he is buying the coins on a sight-unseen basis, as opposed to "actually looking at the coins inside"? I thought not.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My eyes always glaze over when I hear about someone putting together a set of coins in one specific grade let alone a specific grade with a CAC sticker. That is just collecting plastic and labels. How about actually looking at the coins inside? Surprised Bowers has given in to the slab/label craze. >>

Really? Do you have any evidence leading to the conclusion that he is buying the coins on a sight-unseen basis, as opposed to "actually looking at the coins inside"? I thought not.image >>

Yea, but to be frank about, a lot of coin buyers don't have expertise to look beyond the grade, the CAC sticker and some price guide that might be right or wrong. The sad fact is a lot of people who buy coins don't know how to grade them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>

Really? Do you have any evidence leading to the conclusion that he is buying the coins on a sight-unseen basis, as opposed to "actually looking at the coins inside"? I thought not.image >>

I have not read the article since early Monday, but, IIRC, the coins were brought to him on a velvet-lined sliver platter image by the minion, on approval, and he did carefully inspect each coin prior to making a purchase. He found all but one of the coins to be acceptable. The minion was allowed to live another day.

(I have exaggerated some of the details image )
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Do you have any evidence leading to the conclusion that he is buying the coins on a sight-unseen basis, as opposed to "actually looking at the coins inside"?

Mark, it would seem the larger argument is whether collectors should focus on purchasing pre-packaged coins as opposed to buying coins as they find them, working them into the holder/sticker combination if they so desire. Does the skill of the collector factor into his advice? Is QDB's advice equally appropriate for all collectors?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yea, but to be frank about, a lot of coin buyers don't have expertise to look beyond the grade, the CAC sticker and some price guide that might be right or wrong. The sad fact is a lot of people who buy coins don't know how to grade them. >>

That's true, but probably has nothing to do with how Mr. Bowers goes about buying coins for sets. That is the specific subject I was responding to.
  • Options
    It seems that the advice he intended to give was to not follow the trend without thinking for ones self. At the end of the article he bemoaned the very high prices he had to pay for the labels. There didn't seem to be value received for readily available coins with special labels despite the fact that almost all were very nice coins.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems that the advice he intended to give was to not follow the trend without thinking for ones self. At the end of the article he bemoaned the very high prices he had to pay for the labels. There didn't seem to be value received for readily available coins with special labels despite the fact that almost all were very nice coins. >>

I think he left us hanging. He said that there were cheaper coins in NGC and third world holders, but he did not say whether they were of like, greater, or lesser quality. I assume that he is going to follow up on this point in the next article.
  • Options
    I would have been open to looking at any slabs within reason. To simply select one company is fairly short sighted in my view. What is to gain by removing choices? What if some nice example just had no football/bean? I NEED a bean - can't trust myself? Is this how something like Kool Aid is squeezed or served? Is he a trendsetter? image

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>I would have been open to looking at any slabs within reason. To simply select one company is fairly short sighted in my view. What is to gain by removing choices? What if some nice example just had no football/bean? I NEED a bean - can't trust myself? Is this how something like Kool Aid is squeezed or served? Is he a trendsetter? image

Eric >>

True, but if you were going to have someone else, who does not know coins well, try to pick out high quality coins for you, would you not do the same?
  • Options
    Hi RYK,

Sure, but I did not think QDB's minion might not very experienced. I would hope the opposite? But then QDB liked all but one? Was he lucky or something, or is there another message?

Best wishes,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file