Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated dime variety, picked & flipped, let's see how he does

seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
There were a couple of unattributed 1872 DDR seated dimes on eBay last week, I was watching both but ultimately chose not to bid. I think the better deal of the two was this auction, the coin looked like at least a VF and it closed for under $50.

Well the winner of that auction already has the coin up on eBay again, this time with better photos and properly attributed as a DDR, here's a link to that auction. The coin actually looks like it has details closer to AU, however there is some corrosion on the reverse that affects large portions of the design and even the rims.

This is a pretty short timeframe for a pick & flip, even by eBay standards. I tried a similar gambit last year with the same variety and actually lost money. In my case I bought the coin as an AU and sold it attributed but properly represented as a horribly cleaned XF. Personally I think this seller will profit, but he won't get anywhere near the $1,000 value he's quoting in his description.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    SPAM...kidding cool trial to follow
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the pics, but I think he dipped it.

Also, the reverse's rim looks beaten up.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it's the pics, but I think he dipped it.

Also, the reverse's rim looks beaten up. >>

seems to have done a decent job of dipping it too.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    resuts in?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options

<< <i>resuts in? >>

Not yet, the auction has a few more days to run. If it ended today he'd be on the losing side of things, but we all know the action is in the last 30 seconds.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Not looking good with 12 hours to go, might have been a mistake to end the auction around the same time the Superbowl will be ending.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Good for him and his entrepreneurial spirit. I hope he does well.

Good to know evern eBay seated dimes are being cherrypicked!
  • Options
    The item hammered for just under $80, so after fees I figure our cherrypicking friend turned about a 60% profit in a little over two weeks. Not a bad return if you can get it.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>The item hammered for just under $80, so after fees I figure our cherrypicking friend turned about a 60% profit in a little over two weeks. Not a bad return if you can get it.

Sean Reynolds >>

After fees he made nowhere near a 60% profit. Sale: $78.99. 9% to eBay = $7.10, 3% + .30 to Paypal = $2.67. Fees are $9.77 + approx $2.00 shipping. Fees are now up to $11.77. $67.22 in his pocket. Profit of about $16... approx 31% profit. Not bad at all.... but not 60%.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Ebay fees are certainly a margin killer.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a detector find if I ever saw one. And I've seen several (Seated dimes dug out of the ground, that is, not DDRs).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file