Home U.S. Coin Forum

High Grade 1830 & 1861 Halves that make you want to ...

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cry ....image

High Grade yet scratched and holed ..image

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should also add "improperly cleaned" the list of problems. Those surfaces are not natural, and that "look" is not what beginning collectors should be prepared to accept. If those coins did not have the hole and scratches, they would still only get into a "genuine" holder.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should also add "improperly cleaned" the list of problems. Those surfaces are not natural, and that "look" is not what beginning collectors should be prepared to accept. If those coins did not have the hole and scratches, they would still only get into a "genuine" holder. >>

Not true, based off the pic maybe but the bust half looks great in hand, the seated half is cleaned.
    either way I still want to cry.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the picture matches the look of the 1831 half dollar in person, it's been improperly cleaned. That dull, pasty white look is not natural for a coin that is 180 years old.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first glance I wondered if they are real.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - very sad! image
    My first thought was that they both look cleaned also.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file