Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can someone give a book review of National Commemorative Medals by Swoger??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
National Commemorative Medals of the United States of America since 1873 by William Swoger seems like a book that I should own. I met the author a few years ago at the Thanksgiving weekend show put on by the Michigan State Numismatic Society every year when he first started to peddle the book, even had a chance to glance through a copy. I stopped short of buying it because, well, I tend to be "frugal" and the $225 price tag was a bit much. My hunch that it'd be cheaper with the passage of time hasn't come to fruition and I keep thinking I need to have a copy. Has anyone here purchased the book that could give an evaluation of the content??? I have a few basic questions;
1. Is there information in the book which isn't readily available elsewhere, such as from Mint archives(RBW's answer doesn't count)?
2. The picture quality seemed good. Are pictures included for all/most issues discussed?
3. What is the flow of the text like, easily readable and sensible?
4. Are there plenty of footnotes and references given?

Thanks to anyone who volunteers to give a quickkie review for me and the forum.

Al H.

Comments

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question Al. I am also very interested to see the answer to this question. I've been trying to locate the book myself.

JH
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I've heard good things about it, but haven't been willing to put out that kind of cash either.
  • OnTheHuntOnTheHunt Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    I've bought it and use it quite frequently, I'm sure it's paid for itself. I have found one error in it regarding the silver content of a medal, and don't agree with some of the editorial comment, but otherwise have found it quite useful. Regarding your specific questions:

<< <i>1. Is there information in the book which isn't readily available elsewhere, such as from Mint archives(RBW's answer doesn't count)? >>

Haven't been to the Mint archives, but there is info I've never been able to find elsewhere.

<< <i>2. The picture quality seemed good. Are pictures included for all/most issues discussed? >>

Yes

<< <i>3. What is the flow of the text like, easily readable and sensible? >>

Yes

<< <i>4. Are there plenty of footnotes and references given? >>

No, although all authorizing legislation is quoted.

Steve
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the book.

I understand that even at the $225 price the author may be losing money. Hard to believe, but if you employ a book designer, graphic artist, copy editor, and put out a high quality book with nice paper and binding, that's what a low print run can cost per copy.

HOWEVER.

If you are going to charge so much for a book that it is cheaper to fly to the ANA or ANS and use their photocopier......then it is going to be hard to sell copies........
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Info below from Rich Hartzog's site.

"NATIONAL COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA,
    Swoger. Covering all medals since 1873, with the authority by
    which they were struck, the stories behind their issuance, the
    saga of the events for which they were issued and the history
    they represent. Includes about 135 So-Called Dollars, including
    many previously unlisted varieties and metals. Includes all
    Congress and US Mint authorized medals struck at the US Mint.

"Includes the original legislation wording, history of the event
    and the medal, detailed description of each variety, and pictures
    the original documentation sent with the medals. Each description
    includes obverse and reverse full-color photos of each size issued,
    with the original issue price, mintages, sizes, weights and
    metals. Hundreds of listed varieties, with over 800 color photos
    and color cover. An impressive and comprehensive work detailing
    national medals.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The E-Sylum: Volume 11, Number 42, October 19, 2008, Article 3

Check this issue of E-sylum on coinbooks.org...Dick Johnson reviews the book and compares it to another.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loaded with info available nowhere else. Unfortunately, also loaded with errors -- some obvious, some not. Fabulous pictures, including many pictures of pieces that I've never seen anywhere else. Atrocious design/layout, rendering some sections nearly unreadable.

Dick Johnson's review in E-Sylum is pretty accurate also, as mentioned already.

jonathan
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect? No.
    Useful? Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's compare the two books. Swoger covers 71 medals in 300 pages. Dean covers 69 medals in 90 pages.

thanks for the link to the review.

i find it interesting that they detail about the same number of medals, John Dean obviously turns his fucus on those from the so-called Modern era and lists medals not in Swoger's book. it seems that a comprehensive library of US Medallic tribute also needs a third book to predate Swoger but i can't think of the name of it. help me out, Jonathan.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file