Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where are the complains about overgraded coins from the "grading services?"

Lots of posts about "under graded" coins and ones that "are a lock on MS-200" or other such claims. Probability theory says that over- and under graded coins should occur in equal proportion...

Your dedicated thoughts, please.

Comments

• No one wants to admit their own coins are over-graded. You won't see a coin dealer advertising a coin as barely making the grade or "MS65, but could easily degrade a 64." Usually if someone gets a grade better than expected, they sell the coin for a perceived profit and take it as a blessing.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The undergraded coins have been quickly sucked out of the marketplace by individuals looking for a windfall.
    How many owners of overgraded coins are willing to sell them at more realistic grades? The overgraded coins have to sit, waiting
    for unsophisticated buyers to show up. This skews the distribution of coins in the marketplace, and things will get more complicated
    as 'A' coins are pulled in hopes of getting '+' designations (rather than full-point upgrades, as before).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe in the probability therory as it applies to grading the first time through ... a close to equal % will be undergraded and overgraded

However, probability also would suggst that when factoring in regrades, eventually you will find more maxed out grades in the marketplace than undergraded pieces.I believe this to be true because most participants with enough knowledge to play the crack and resubmit game are not entirely stupid about what is undergraded and what isn't (or else they aren't going to be doing it very long!). Thus, coins that may be truely PQ will have more chances to go up one, and coins that are already maxed out will probably not be tried again.

my 2c

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

<< <i>No one wants to admit their own coins are over-graded. You won't see a coin dealer advertising a coin as barely making the grade or "MS65, but could easily degrade a 64." Usually if someone gets a grade better than expected, they sell the coin for a perceived profit and take it as a blessing. >>

That actually happens once in a blue moon. In 2009, I bought a Capped Bust dime from CRO--it was in an NGC 62 slab, and sold as a 58. I crossed it to PCGS as a 55 (and am OK with this grade).

• << <i>No one wants to admit their own coins are over-graded.

I got a couple.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see many just made it and a number of overgraded coins on the bourse when I go to a show. I don't complain about them; I just don't buy them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overgraded coins are called "coffin coins" for a reason.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No one wants to admit their own coins are over-graded.

I got a couple. >>

Me too!

Anyone have any luck sending them in for down grade and cash or do people hang on and hope for the best when they try to sell?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a few and I've seen a lot more lately. I don't know if the ones I've seen are recent or older grades or if I just don't know how much TPGs will tolerate re: problems. I'm wondering if some of the bad ones would be Gennies now if regraded, but were given grades by graders feeling sorry for the coins or the submitters.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmmm…....I thought there’d be a line of folks ready to post their horror stories of trying multiple times to get their overgraded MS-65 down to 64. If there are “standards” should not collectors be incensed at deviation both under and over? image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing them just no complaints as I'm not buying them... I just chuckle silently to myself! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>Hmmmm…....I thought there’d be a line of folks ready to post their horror stories of trying multiple times to get their overgraded MS-65 down to 64. If there are “standards” should not collectors be incensed at deviation both under and over? image >>

No. This is just like any analog measurement.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of posts about "under graded" coins and ones that "are a lock on MS-200" or other such claims. Probability theory says that over- and under graded coins should occur in equal proportion...

Your dedicated thoughts, please. >>

No, it doesn't.
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Roger,

TDN and I have bought overgraded coins for years, but they don't stay there long. They will be crossed at 1 to 3 points lower, become pq for grade, and hopefully will bring great money when sold( many years later,
    TahoeDale
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Ask any EAC'r. They will say almost every early copper coin is overgraded due to their strict standards.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

<< <i>...Probability theory says that over- and under graded coins should occur in equal proportion... >>

No. Grading is not a blind game of chance. Suppose a grader is looking at a liner 64/65 coin, which in MS65 is valued at 15x what the typical MS64 example would bring. The coin would likely be graded 64. Now play the same game, but the MS65 value is only 1.3x the MS64 value. Now there is much greater likelihood that the coin would be graded 65. Why the difference? Financial liability.

• I remember back in the mid-80's when I first heard about TPGs and these newfangled things called "slabs". Supposedly, you could buy and sell coins sight-unseen because the grade was the official opinion by those who are supposed to know. I don't recall hearing much about incorrectly graded coins. It wasn't supposed to happen anymore.

I'm really glad I never got sucked into that mentality. Today, I still buy raw coins and pay what I think it's worth based on the coin itself, without being swayed by what a label says. Subsequently, not one single coin in my collection is either undergraded or overgraded.

...and collecting is still a LOT of fun. No complaints here! image
  • Several years ago I owned a 1924 Peace dollar graded MS65. It developed those toning spots that happens when coins aren't rinsed or neutralized properly after a dip. At a central states show, I did complain about the coin to PCGS. They conserved the coin and it was once again an MS65. I didn't trust the coin after that and sold it. This was took place probably six years ago...maybe today they would reholder it as genuine or buy it outright.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back in the mid-80's when I first heard about TPGs and these newfangled things called "slabs". Supposedly, you could buy and sell coins sight-unseen because the grade was the official opinion by those who are supposed to know. I don't recall hearing much about incorrectly graded coins. It wasn't supposed to happen anymore.

And had the methodology stayed the same from inception in 1986-1987, then we wouldn't be dealing with an issue this size today. Note that back then the TPG's would use the services of top flight active coin dealers on a rotating basis. Such is not the case today where moderns, bulk submissions, and PF/MS 69-70's generate a lot of the current revenue. Back then it was mostly higher dollar coins.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...Probability theory says that over- and under graded coins should occur in equal proportion... >>

No. Grading is not a blind game of chance. Suppose a grader is looking at a liner 64/65 coin, which in MS65 is valued at 15x what the typical MS64 example would bring. The coin would likely be graded 64. Now play the same game, but the MS65 value is only 1.3x the MS64 value. Now there is much greater likelihood that the coin would be graded 65. Why the difference? Financial liability. >>

Bingo. The TPG's have processes in place to suppress overgrading due to liability concerns. It's not a random game of chance [although it may seem that way sometimes!]
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that "probability" has nothing to do with it.

Never forget that a coin's "grade" is a matter of the opinions of human beings (and you know how humans are!)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file