Home U.S. Coin Forum

1875 S "Vampire Teeth" S?

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ive been a long time lurker and just decided to register & post. I mainly collect ancient coins now but I have been building a U.S. type set for awhile.

Anyways, I have a raw 1875 s 20c that I would say is about AU50. While looking at the coin through my triplet loupe, I noticed the S has what looks like 2 vampire teeth shaped points on the top & bottom part of the S "ends" if that makes since.

I cant take a pic because I just have a crummy iphone for a digital camera.

I read there is 6 varieties of the S and a dollar $ is the most rare.

The rest of the S looks like its kinda doubled at about the 4 & 5 o clock area of the lower right part of the S.

Can anyone provide some photos of the varies S's used by chance? Google wasnt much help.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forums!

First, enable your private messages. Then, send one to Astrorat, he is the resident expert on 20c pieces.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, done. Thanks alot!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a fairly common 1875-S/S. Shows doubled serifs at the top and bottom.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
    Here is a pic, had to use a loupe while holding the iphone steady.

<< <i>That is a fairly common 1875-S/S. Shows doubled serifs at the top and bottom. >>

So its nothing to get excited about? Im not a error collector.

Thanks for the welcomes.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at the obverse of your 20c piece w/ the S/S or $ mintmark... you should be able to see the top of an extra digit in the denticles directly under the 7 of 1875. I think it's the top of an extra 7 and I think you may be able to see the top of another digit there as well.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The variety you have is known as the "$" mintmark and is the easiest repunched mintmark to recognize for 1875-S twenty-cent pieces. While not as common as the "filled" mintmark varieties, it is certainly not rare. Walter Breen characterized this coin as scarce so some dealers charge a premium. However, the coin is fairly easy to find without having to pay a premium.

As an aside, based on the wear on the talons, I bet your coin has a little more wear on it than an AU-50. If you have images of the obverse and reverse, perhaps we could offer a better opinion as to the grade.

And ... welcome to the Board!

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

<< <i>Take a look at the obverse of your 20c piece w/ the S/S or $ mintmark... you should be able to see the top of an extra digit in the denticles directly under the 7 of 1875. I think it's the top of an extra 7 and I think you may be able to see the top of another digit there as well. >>

yeah there is a line under the 7 in a denticle.

Best image I could do with my phone....

The lines in the shield are all there. Of course the coin looks better in hand.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a look at the obverse of your 20c piece w/ the S/S or $ mintmark... you should be able to see the top of an extra digit in the denticles directly under the 7 of 1875. I think it's the top of an extra 7 and I think you may be able to see the top of another digit there as well. >>

Yep...that is the ONLY obverse I have found married to the "$" reverse. Another thing to look for with this die marriage is that it is one of the few in the series known to have a rotated reverse on some coins.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    The reverse isnt rotated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file