Home U.S. Coin Forum

Connecticut Genuine ? anyway to attribute ? Some more Pics **** New VERY LARGE Pics 1/31 and Weigh

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fresh new Pics next to another Connecticut and a Britianina ??
Both weight 6.5 Grams 7.9 on the Brit

edit to add I think the edge has been played with

v

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with not genuine.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • I'm going with real, and a good possibility that it is the expensive 1788 Vermont RR39, also known as Connecticut M 1-I. If I'm right, it's probably worth in the range of $3,000 or more.
    Good luck,
    Dan
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RR39, also known as Connecticut M 1-I. >>

Looks that way to me too.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it is a rare variety and the edge looks fishy, I'd say its an electrotype.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the grey showing through on the high points.
    I vote fake.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to go against CCU on this one, especially because I don't know the variety. And I never like to go against the Captain, because he's almost always right. But I'm going to vote "real", mainly because of the planchet flaw and the environmental damage.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I will admit the obv edge looks questionable, but based on the look of the edge on the rev thought it might have been gently hammered.

Can we get a closeup of the grey spots by the ear, and on the shoulder?
    How about an edge shot?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will admit the obv edge looks questionable, but based on the look of the edge on the rev thought it might have been gently hammered. >>

I love the term "gently hammered". The first thing that came to mind was oxymoron. Then I thought about spending a long, relaxing evening at a bar....image
    image Respectfully, Mark
    Thanks for the extra pictures. I still say no good.
    TD
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get thee to a nunnery! ...err I mean expert in person. It's definitely worth finding out.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will admit the obv edge looks questionable, but based on the look of the edge on the rev thought it might have been gently hammered. >>

The "hammered" look on RR39 is not abnormal. Take a look at the F. Taylor coin. I vote real on Smitty's coin.
    What is the weight and diameter?
    Might as well do a specific gravity while you're at it.

<< <i>Might as well do a specific gravity while you're at it. >>

Perhaps a background check too?

<< <i>

<< <i>Might as well do a specific gravity while you're at it. >>

Perhaps a background check too? >>

You didn't like your "credit check" bon mot???

How about a friendly wager? $20, to be paid by check made payable to either the Salvation Army or the Red Cross, payer's choice.

If the coin is fake, you pay. If the coin is real, I pay.

Ten bets available.

TD
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Tom, I vote fake as well!! You can count me in on the 20$ bet as well.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>How about a friendly wager? $20, to be paid by check made payable to either the Salvation Army or the Red Cross, payer's choice.

Ten bets available.

TD >>

I will take the wager...after the OP provides the weight and diameter. So who is to determine if the coin is genuine? PCGS (lol).
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monday morning I'll give weight and diameter
    As for where it came from, was a little old ladys foreign box of coins
    Lots of older stuff in it.
    It looks real to me but I'm bias
    And if it turns out to be real, I have her name to send her a bonus check.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote "real". Count me in for $20 on the bet.

<< <i>

<< <i>How about a friendly wager? $20, to be paid by check made payable to either the Salvation Army or the Red Cross, payer's choice.

Ten bets available.

TD >>

I will take the wager...after the OP provides the weight and diameter. So who is to determine if the coin is genuine? PCGS (lol). >>

Fair question. How shall we decide this? Suggestions?

Numisma, you are down for one wager.
    CRO is the second.
    TDEC.....I am betting that it is fake, so you can't bet against me if you agree with me.
    TD
    Betting is closed.
    How shall we determine a winner?
    TD
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Betting is closed.
    TD >>

I'm guessing since I have three people including one dealer who want to buy the coin for decent money.
    My guess is still real.

But how do we determine the winner .... Good question

<< <i>

<< <i>Betting is closed.
    TD >>

I'm guessing since I have three people including one dealer who want to buy the coin for decent money.
    My guess is still real.

But how do we determine the winner .... Good question >>

The safest way is probably the slowest way: Consign it to auction and see what it brings. The logic being that numerous colonial experts (and the auction house) will review the piece and, if real, it will bring a nice price.

You could sell it to the dealer willing to pay real money but, in all fairness, that does not mean that it is genuine. Maybe we can run it through the "coin sniffer." image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file