Home U.S. Coin Forum

Software to manage your collection?

Please post how you manage your collection. Excel spreadsheet, MS Access or another database, special software or do you just "remember"? I used to just do a spreadsheet, but when I bought my first tube of Morgans... well, I pretty much stopped keeping track and went to the best as I can remember version. I have thought about making a nice Access database to track it all.
"When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
--- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang search functions are so hard to use.....can't be that this was asked before, a few times, eh? image
    Can't be discussed in this thread....?

Nor any discussion here

Not here either...

Not like it doesn't come up every few months image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excel works great.

The person who is supposed to enter all the data doesn't work as well image

Collecting is fun. Keeping records isn't.
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    PM sent.
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭

<< <i>Collecting is fun. Keeping records isn't. >>

Keeping records isn't fun, but for me it's an integral part of the process. Having accurate data lets me know where I stand, what I need, etc. etc. I'd feel lost without the data!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Records may not be fun but they sure save paying a lot of taxes.
  • howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Excel spreadsheet.

1) It came with the computer - no additional cost.
    2) I can add whatever fields I want to track - not locked into someone else's idea of how to track my collection.
    3) Many programs can read the data file, so I'm not locked into a proprietary format where the program that reads it might go away.
    4) Easy to use - quick to update.

Only con: doesn't have automatic value updating like some programs do, but that's irrelevant to me because what I collect is thinly traded and hard to value.
  • Excel.. so nice to be able to copy information and hyper links from other websites directly into the work book - like linking invoices, images, website. even profile names - then columns for buy$ sell$ Value$ ship$ custom create formulas for total, add pages for denominations, rolls, supplies, certified, raw. mint sets, - you can protect columns from changing. I am working on linking values from websites so they automatically update.... mine has grown to 3mb! etc etc etc

Howard - I have found that websites that use data sheet that can be exported often have cells that you link to. I just haven't found away to do it easily. so I only do keydates.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Excel does work good.

The only snag is most cheaper new PCs don't come with it.
    There are some free spreadsheets that will work about the same.
    Ed
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file