Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hokey Pokey Puck Question?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why was the SHQ Washington obverse stretched and used on these 5 ounce coins along with the Quarter Dollar denomination image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Rep. Castle said so.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>Why was the SHQ Washington obverse stretched and used on these 5 ounce coins along with the Quarter Dollar denomination image >>

Seems silly to me. There's 3'' of space back there. Why not put something nice? At the very least, hopefully they add some details back there.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems silly to me. There's 3'' of space back there. Why not put something nice? At the very least, hopefully they add some details back there. >>

I just started paying attention to these yesterday and my first thought was it's a botched up design.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • That reminds me. We may see a change in the future. From the coin modernization act, recently passed:

"Change America the Beautiful Silver Coins, including an adjustment of their diameter from 3 inches to between 2.5-3.0 inches, a removal of the requirement to place the coin’s fineness and weight on each edge, and modification to the portion of the law which states they must be "exact duplicates" of the America the Beautiful Quarters."

They no longer have to be exact duplicates so they can modify the Washington design. Will they?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That reminds me. We may see a change in the future. From the coin modernization act, recently passed:

"Change America the Beautiful Silver Coins, including an adjustment of their diameter from 3 inches to between 2.5-3.0 inches, a removal of the requirement to place the coin’s fineness and weight on each edge, and modification to the portion of the law which states they must be "exact duplicates" of the America the Beautiful Quarters."

They no longer have to be exact duplicates so they can modify the Washington design. Will they? >>

Recent issue of CW states they are staying with the 3 inch design, would cost to much to try and switch it now. image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file