Home U.S. Coin Forum

NT or AT Three Cent Silver ?

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I vote AT
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not purchase that coin or send it in for certification.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    If the images portray the color accurately, it looks AT (and/or re-toned after a cleaning) to me.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Gotta go with "not market acceptable".

Russ, NCNE
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Looks cleaned and retoned.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin has the look of an ebay seller's work (cwbyup). Won't grade.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT, no doubt about it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I gotta say NT here. Cleaned and retoned in an album. But not gradable. Looks very similar to album rainbow toning on nickels.
    "It is what it is."
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    NT or AT? Who knows....

From the pics it appears to be a cleaned/dipped trime with secondary toning -- and not MA by TPG standards, IMO.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Question AT
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    AT all day, all night and all afternoon.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    AT as a result of cleaning.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • AT
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AT
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the masses AT.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A vote for a numismatic late term abortion.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Alpha Tango.

Golf
    Echo
    November
    Uniform
    Indigo
    November
    Echo

Niner One
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm also curious, if this coin is only guilty of having been dipped, why is it not considered market acceptable?

<< <i>I'm also curious, if this coin is only guilty of having been dipped, why is it not considered market acceptable? >>

Because, regardless of what has been done to it, the color appears to be (too) off.
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm also curious, if this coin is only guilty of having been dipped, why is it not considered market acceptable? >>

Because, regardless of what has been done to it, the color appears to be (too) off. >>

Mark, that type of target toning is very common in Dansco albums. I have some of that myself in my album and I can tell you with 100% certainty that they ain't AT!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because, regardless of what has been done to it, the color appears to be (too) off. >>

Mark, that type of target toning is very common in Dansco albums. I have some of that myself in my album and I can tell you with 100% certainty that they ain't AT! >>

Bruce, we will have to agree to disagree, as to the expected market acceptability of the color seen on that coin. That is, assuming it looks like it does in the images provided.
  • I think those exact same colors on a Morgan dollar dont even get a squint of doubt from anyone. This is what makes understanding all of this so very hard.

<< <i>

<< <i>

But if the act of dipping and then album time can create these colors, regardless of how off they seem(and I am only going off of one person's opinion of what was done to this coin), then isnt that in technical terms NT? I mean I can understand if your answer was "Coin was dipped and then gassed". But "cleaned and retoned in an album" seems natural by the consensus opinion on dipping here. Are you saying that you accept the possibility that this coin's colors came from an album but that since you dont like it its not MA, but dont dispute the idea that an album toned it? >>

Many people consider a coin that has re-toned on it's own, after a dipping, to be NT. However, not all such coins exhibit the same color and appearance. Some of them look like what most label AT, and others, like what most label NT.

Either way, some NT coins look AT, and others, NT. Likewise, some AT coins look NT, while others look AT. Usually, a grader has to make his assessment/decision, based on how the coin looks, not based on what the submitter might know about it's past history.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think those exact same colors on a Morgan dollar dont even get a squint of doubt from anyone. This is what makes understanding all of this so very hard. >>

No. Those exact same colors on a Morgan dollar would have me scream AT just as I did politely in my first post in this thread.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file