Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first "Questionable Authenticity" submission - 1909-S Indian

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2023 7:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I have for your consideration a 1909-S Indian that I just received back from our hosts today labeled "Questionable Authenticity". The coin came from my late father's collection and was one of a couple dozen Indians and Lincolns that he had actually purchased during his collecting days (most of which involved circulating coinage). The 2x2 was labeled as "Good" with a price of $63, which IMHO would be a good indication that he had owned it for MANY years prior to his death in 2009.

Before submitting the coin under last quarter's CC special I recognized that it wasn't a coin without issues, the color on the obverse is fairly presented in the photos below and is significantly different from the even milk chocolate color of the reverse. I don't dismiss the opinions of the PCGS experts, but it does seem unlikely to me that my Father's coin from 1970(ish) would have been a counterfeit. In fact it had never even occurred to me before submitting that "questionable authenticity" was a possibility.

So for the sake of education, I'd appreciate some input from the many copper experts here as to what specifically would indicate the "QA" verdict; and perhaps whether there is anything that screams "counterfeit" that I've missed. Are there die markers or other identifying characteristics that collectors should look for in purchasing a key date such as this?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb pix and I bow to the experts here. I have the original ANA Counterfeit Detection Reprint and will look . .but there are many here who have immense knowledge and you'll get bombarded.

But . . . one thing . . . there were MANY who counterfeited in earlier eras. Just because the coin was in a collection for decades is absolutely NO guarantee of any authenticity at all. I feel your pain and sympathize, but watch what the pros here do . . . they will let you know.

Again . . . great pix for all to see.

Drunner

(edited for a typo -- gee, I hate that!)
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Drilled and embossed S?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be a "punch up" mint mark. Just because it has been in your father's collection for a long time doesn't mean it is real. Altered key date Indians and Lincolns have been around for a long, long time.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. Drilled and embossed S? >>

I thought that too, from the pics. But, the rim problem is in the wrong area for that.

bob

edited: it sure does look drilled into under the first T in STATES.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Looks ok to me.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian is not chopped liver when it comes to Indians . . . good to have his opinion.

I have gone thoroughly through the Bay Area Counterfeits in the ANA Vol. II Detection guide and your specimen does not line up with any of the diagnostics there. i.e. it is not a counterfeit according to that definition.

Drunner
  • Options
    Thanks for the opnions guys. Hoping a few other experts will chime in...perhaps Mr. Snow will offer an opinion?
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Tough one!

The drilled and filled rim looks suspicious.

But that S looks right, I don't see how they could push it up and get it that good.
    Ed
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only two reverse dies for the 1909-S and this is not one of them. Both genuine dies have the left edge of the S over the right half of the denticles below. This one has the left edge of the S over the left edge of the denticle.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. Drilled and embossed S? >>

I agree. It doesn't look like it was attached by glue as there is no discoloration that I can see around the MM. More than likely the edge damage came from the drilling and "pushing up" of the S on the surface of the coin.

-Paul
  • Options
    The edge damage shown has nothing to do with the MM. It is at the 3:00 position on the coin (of the obverse), not the base (of the reverse).
  • Options
    Forgetting about microscopic diagnostics for sec, did anyone else get the initial feeling that the coin just didn't look right.? I skimmed the posts then went back up and looked at it again and realized what it was.

Where are all the hits nicks and dings?
  • Options

<< <i>The edge damage shown has nothing to do with the MM. It is at the 3:00 position on the coin (of the obverse), not the base (of the reverse). >>

Oh, I didn't even notice it wasn't in the right spot on the edge. Clearly the MM is in the wrong place, though. Do you think it's an added MM or do you think the whole coin is bogus?

-Paul
  • Options
    Its an added MM, not a whole fake. The coin just looks lightly damaged, but normal. The MM looks fairly normal too, so the position diagnostic is very important to attributing it. It is not a microscopic diagnostic.
  • Options

<< <i>Its an added MM, not a whole fake. The coin just looks lightly damaged, but normal. The MM looks fairly normal too, so the position diagnostic is very important to attributing it. It is not a microscopic diagnostic. >>

Cool, that's what I figured. I guess the counterfeit detection class that I took last summer at the ANA is working! I just need to learn the diagnostics for MM locations and similar die markers for the keys. I know you taught us some of those, Rick, such as the shallow N on the '77, and I'm sure the MM positions on the '09 S as well, I just forgot!

-Paul

Edited to clarify.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Very imformative thread. Amazing (for lack of better terms) that even decades ago the doctors were very good. It does take a expert of Mr Snows caliber to even confirm this. Sorry for ModCrew though.
  • Options
    I got a questionable authenticity on an 1870-CC Dollar. I sent it back in and it graded VF30.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Found this description that talks about how to verify that the mint mark is correct.

<< <i>Lets start looking at the mintmark notice that both the upper and lower serif’s look like trumpets. Thus the name trumpet serifs. Looking at the upper serif, let you eyes move down to the bottom of the serif . You will see that the bottom of the serif almost touches curve of the “S” mintmark. Also notice that both the top and bottom serif are parallel. >>

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good find by the Graders.

dam that must be difficult to detatch an S and reaffix it onto a coin. Im no good at small work at all but Ill be my Father could have done it.
  • Options
    The two photos of the rim damage are at 7 o'clock (left) and 4-5 o'clock (right) on the reverse. I cannot identify any suspicious marks on the rim directly aligned with the MM.

Under 16x there is nothing at all about the MM that leads me to think it may have been added or embossed, the color and edges are very even and the shape is "accurate" by the comparison to the photo above. I do agree, as mentioned in the OP that the coin didn't "look right".

That being said obviously Rick's opinion and analysis carries more than a little weight.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not send the coin to Rick and let him examine it?
  • Options

<< <i>Why not send the coin to Rick and let him examine it? >>

I'd be more than happy to do so, if he's interested, he sounded as though he was pretty sure of his opinion. (Which I recognize he should be.) image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>good find by the Graders.

dam that must be difficult to detatch an S and reaffix it onto a coin. Im no good at small work at all but Ill be my Father could have done it. >>

They usually cast brand new fake mintmarks. Notice the mintmark has sharp edges, not the wear of a G-VG coin.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    I think the mintmark might be added by electro-depositon.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the mintmark might be added by electro-depositon. >>

Huh? imageimage

imageimage

That's my MM on the left, not sure it's any bigger than it was in the original pictures, but just cropped a bit more.
  • Options
    Rick,
    Could you describe how the electro-depositon process would be done on a coin/cent to add a mintmark
    without effecting the rest of the coin.

Thanks

Mark
    (former Rick Snow student at the Summer Seminar)
    Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other item, I have never seen a counterfeit with wood graining. Has anyone else?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    By running a current from a copper source to the cent you can deposit copper on the coin. if you cover the area of the coin with wax except for the mintmark, you can deposit metal in the shape of the MM on the coin. Then the coin is retoned brown. They missed the obverse on the color a bit.

Edited to add: the hole in the side is where the electrode was attached.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick,
    Could you describe how the electro-depositon process would be done on a coin/cent to add a mintmark
    without effecting the rest of the coin.

Thanks

Mark
    (former Rick Snow student at the Summer Seminar) >>

Coat the coin with wax. Remove some wax in the shape of a proper mintmark. Electroplate the coin with copper/bronze. Remove the wax and then recolor the coin. It's actually more difficult to execute than it sounds.

Edited to add that I see Rick beat me to it.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Rick,
    without effecting the rest of the coin. >>

Yeah...that's what I meant with my "Huh?"

<< <i>By running a current from a copper source to the cent you can deposit copper on the coin. if you cover the area of the coin with wax except for the mintmark, you can deposit metal in the shape of the MM on the coin. Then the coin is retoned brown. They missed the obverse on the color a bit.

Edited to add: the hole in the side is where the electrode was attached. >>

Amazing to me...they were good at what they did for sure.

I want to offer a sincere THANK YOU image ...to Rick and others for your input on this coin (and oh yeah to PCGS too image). Now on to the real question, "Who will give me $8 for my 1909 BN Indian Cent (with extra metal) in Good?"

Of course, I jest in that comment, and certainly as a conversation/demonstration piece, it's a very interesting piece to have in my possession. Along with the obvious sentimental value of it having come from my Father's collection.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very deceptive. Makes you wonder how many are out there and how times they have been sold and resold. I also wonder how many dealers would have caught that on a buy.

Rick, do you see many of these?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for a very informative thread. I would have missed this because the mintmark looks right for the date. I assumed the edges were messed with just because this appears to be a very well circulated coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the location sure looks the same as the one TT has in todays auction - serifs on the left side of denticle below

Teletrade auction

I am not sure what that means
  • Options
    There are only two reverse dies known

Snow-1 Notice the die line to the left of the MM.

Snow-2 Notice the lump on the denticle under the MM.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They usually cast brand new fake mintmarks. Notice the mintmark has sharp edges, not the wear of a G-VG coin. >>

That is what I noticed, too. It just wasn't as worn as the rest of the coin.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    so the coin I have linked a couple posts above,

is that a Snow-2 or a No-Snow? or is the lighting such that I can not tell where the denticles are just below the MM ?
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 9:56AM

Bump. Need to read more into this.

Tag: electro-depositon

Edit: Nine year old thread.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    There are only two reverse dies for the 1909-S and this is not one of them. Both genuine dies have the left edge of the S over the right half of the denticles below. This one has the left edge of the S over the left edge of the denticle.

I agree. It looks like a very good job of embossing the Mintmark. A hole is drilled in the edge, then a Mintmark is pressed into the coin. This was done a lot with key date Buffalo Nickels.

Examples could be seen in Lange's book. In this particular alteration, the area where the Mintmark was pushed in was not completely filled back in.

Evidence of tooling will show even if the area is filled in. This is the first 1909-S Indiana I've seen with this alteration.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

BuffaloIronTail, did you read the entire thread??

this thread is further evidence as to why it is better to buy key date coins in PCGS/NGC holder there is just too much for a collector to know.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al. I thought I got the gist of the thread, but me guesses I missed some stuff. UMM.....I DID miss some stuff.

Doesn't matter. What I posted is educational to someone.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Thanks for blowing the dust off Hemi.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a video on how to drill and press a mint mark? I am confused as to what is happening. :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file