Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's FUN Show Report with Photos!! Final UPDATE on Monday....

2»

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I will leave the Irish Car Bombs to you... however, the red wine is another story..... image Cheers, RickO
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy, your reports are always so lively and entertaining...I try to read every one! Thanks! >>

Yup! Charmy threads are definitely a must read!!!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Had a great time at FUN...glad you did too and always nice seeing you image
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm afraid I will leave the Irish Car Bombs to you... however, the red wine is another story..... image Cheers, RickO >>

And I thought that Ricko would be a "White" wine guy.image

Great report Charmy! Looks like a lot of FUN. -pun intented-image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    The Irish Car Bombs sound like a terrorist attack on a perfectly good shot of whiskey.

Fun read, though! image

• << <i>Irish Car Bombs are to "to die for"! >>

They are awesome and taste like chocolate milk!

Thanks for the pics and updates Charmy. I will be looking forward to seeing some of your new purchases.
    Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought some more pretty toned proofs and lots more collector grade Indian .... >>

OKAY, ya got my attention image
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Charmy, you really need to lossen up and start partying a little more! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy, you really need to lossen up and start partying a little more! image >>

LOL, Ya think?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    << I bought some more pretty toned proofs and lots more collector grade Indian .... >>

You DO have my want list.image
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy, you really need to lossen up and start partying a little more! >>

LOL - If I hung out with dealers like Charmy instead of my present group, my wife would want to start coming to the shows with me!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • It's funny seeing PennyLady gettin' off on Waffle House. I used to groove on the place when I'd be working up toward the dixie states, catching boat rides, working marine fisheries stuff. I've never noticed many of the places, way down south here.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love The Waffle House and Irish Car bombs. Usually not in the same meal. We actually slammed down a few car bombs last night at an Irish Pub in Guangzhou China.( Paddy Fields).........Sounds like FUN and Charmy lived up to their reputations. I'm bumming I missed it. Thanks for the great thread................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here it is Sunday afternoon, the show is over, I'm sitting at the airport waiting for my flight, having my custom pre-flight beverage(s), watching Baltimore crush Kansas City, so I thought I'd give one last update on the FUN show.

Of course, Sunday was slow as expected. However, there were more dealers who stayed than I've seen at other large shows, and there was a decent amount of traffic. However, today seemed the day for people to bring in the change that their grandparents threw in a can to see if they had inherited any treasures. I must have evaluated at least 4-5 handfuls and baggies of later date wheaties only to let their owners know what they had was worth a few cents over face. Most non-coin people also believe their crusty old steel cents are especially priceless. I feel bad having to tell them the truth! Usually what I advise them is to get a Red Book so they can learn a little about grading, mintage, and value of the coins they inherited in order to educate themselves on which coins might be of value. It is gratifying to see that most seem very interested in learning, rather than just unloading their inherited "treasures."

Any way, on our last night here in Tampa, a group of us went to Bern's steakhouse - wow, what a wonderful, high quality restaurant. They have a HUGE wine selection and offer a tour of their various rooms. They even have a separate dessert room, though we were too stuffed to partake! Everything was delicious, and I especially enjoyed their lobster bisque (though it didn't seem to like me as much this morning!). I took some photos of the lobby and one of the many dining areas since the entire restaurant was extremely elegant and grand looking with beautiful paintings and murals and a huge gorgeous lobby mirror and winding staircase. And they had these neat throne-looking chairs to sit in while waiting to be seated in the restaurant. I highly recommend Bern's but also highly recommend making reservations well in advance!

On a concerning note, one of the dealers (Harry Miller) was followed out of the show last evening to a restaurant about 20 miles away and broke into his car. He didn't leave much valuable numismatics in the care, though they did take some notes as well as his laptop! What a shame! Any way, he passed out a flyer at the show today to remind everyone to be more diligent, and also offered a reward for return of his laptop. I'm sure more information will be posted about this in another thread.

Any way, today I had a lot of my new purchases photographed by Todd today, so I will be posting them as soon as I can. I spoke to many dealers who all agreed that this was a really great show, well attended, and most were very pleased with their sales - me included! Though I did enjoy getting to see a little of Tampa, I look forward to being back in Orlando next year!

Thanks again to all of you who stopped by to say hi, it's always a pleasure meeting forum members and putting faces with avatars/user names - I really appreciate your support and look forward to seeing some of you again in Long Beach!!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What photographs? i thought you werent talking to me?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>What photographs? i thought you werent talking to me? >>

it was vice versa, dear! I thought your feelings were hurt because I left you (at this show) for another boothmate and because more forum members visited me than you (he he he)! image

<< <i>

<< <i>What photographs? i thought you werent talking to me? >>

it was vice versa, dear! I thought your feelings were hurt because I left you (at this show) for another boothmate and because more forum members visited me than you (he he he)! image >>

You were just mad for being booted.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    With all that nightly boozing and dive bar hopping I'm surprised Charmy makes it over to the show before 3pm.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    to clear up any confusion from the first night, tonight when walking to dinner guess what we saw:

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I never saw the elephants. That's what happens when for the first time in a long time I didn't stay at a hotel that was immediately next to the FUN show.

On Wednesday morning when I was in Sarasota I did see a woman with facial hair. I guess that works as a suitable circus element subsitute.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Hey Todd, the next time you come down, can you show me how to photo shop elephants into my pictures?
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    OMG! Those were elephants. That was close. Wooda been worse if they was pink.

Last time I go on a bender at a coin show. image

• << <i>OMG! Those were elephants. That was close. Wooda been worse if they was pink.

Last time I go on a bender at a coin show. image >>

seems they were wearing pink hats though imageimage

and yes Todd... great photoshop job imageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
    And now I see my typo, whoops.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>OMG! Those were elephants. That was close. Wooda been worse if they was pink.

Last time I go on a bender at a coin show. image >>

seems they were wearing pink hats though imageimage

and yes Todd... great photoshop job imageimage >>

That's kewl. I'm swearing it off until next time, anyways.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>On Wednesday morning when I was in Sarasota I did see a woman with facial hair. >>

I'll bet she was a Drag to be around! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>Hey Todd, the next time you come down, can you show me how to photo shop elephants into my pictures? >>

That's what I'm thinking .... he is quite handy with that tool! image

And Wei, FYI, though I may not have been bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I was at the show before 9am EVERY DAY (except Sunday cause there was no reason)! image
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    The infamous elephants from the 23rd floor of the Marriott:

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all that nightly boozing and dive bar hopping I'm surprised Charmy makes it over to the show before 3pm. >>

I plied her with wine on Thursday night and she spent much time the next day regaling me with stories of how quickly one must drink Irish Car Bombs. I sobered up in time for lunch. Pure contact high.

imageimageimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    ColonelJessup, the Two Hands Syrah (South Africa) wine was fabulous - thank you again!

Thanks everyone for all your comments - and ok, even though I saw no sign of any lil ol elephants - pink, white, purple or otherwise - I will concede that since we saw quite a few "interesting" looking characters and Tampa sure can have a circus-like atmosphere on the weekends, that the appearance of elephants walking down the street wouldn't surprise me! imageimage

I'm kind of vegging today (after going to Seattle's Best for my fav caramel latte, then the post office and bank)! But let me just add a quick addendum to my final FUN show report - yesterday (Sunday) I was either waiting in line at airport security (which took 1/2 hour), waiting in the bar for my flight time (4+ hours - the plane was late), waiting on the tarmac for the "weights and balances" to be worked out (45 min), flying (5 1/2 hours), waiting to deplane (1/2 hour), or waiting for my luggage in baggage claim (another 1/2 hour) - all totaling more than 12 hours!!! My poor hubby kept circling around LAX over and over again until I finally got to the curb (they don't have a cell phone waiting parking lot like some airports do). He has a huge amount of patience - much more than I do!

• I like elephants image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file