Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stupid question, what kind of toning (exposed to what ) causes the electric blue, pink, green, etc t

I find it very interesting, do these usually bag due to AT or normally grade out? What is the coin exposed to get that kind of toning (Morgans and other silver) I think the answer is MS-70 for some copper (Indians). I am not bashing these coins, I think they look great, but coins like Aurora Borealis (sp) collection are normally toned that way due to what?

P.S. Nice collection AB, just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Wow, these boards are moving fast tonight, bumping to see if anyone know! Happy New Year and be safe!
  • Options
    ..I think I missed the link to what your referring to ........
  • Options
    Mint bags, coins at the end of rolls, albums, folders, envelopes, Mint set packaging from 48-58 (more so from 57 and 58), and many other ways coins are stored can cause those colors. Remember though just cause a coin is stored that way doesnt mean the end result is going to be a colorful monster. Many factors come into play along with luck.
  • Options
    I don't see the pic as to what you are referring too
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    'Thin film interference' is one explanation I read about. Sortof like colors on a soap bubble film.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file