Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you do with this 1885-CC**New photos ** updated(x2)** updated(x3)**

I sent this in expecting an AU-XX it came back UNC- Details improperly cleaned

My plan : crack / dip / resubmit
Hope for a clean grade and take the risk of it coming back AU
Because the price difference of MS vs AU for this coin is not much
I am thinking the Details improperly cleaned hurts it more than the AU would.
--- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't dip the coin. If the coin has been cleaned, you most likely won't like what you see under that toning. Also, AU dipped silver looks terrible in my opinion.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin is not ugly based on your pictures. It is still the same coin you owned before sending it in for grading, so why would you dislike it now? I definitely would not dip it. As the other poster said, a dipped AU is just ugly and if trying to sell it would net you less money than the coin in its current condition. Your coin is a good album coin. That is what I would do with it.

• Options
    I certainly wouldn't dip the coin. If the coin has been cleaned, you most likely won't like what you see under that toning. Also, AU dipped silver looks terrible in my opinion.

I get that most coins that have been cleaned have large amounts of issues but in this case I do not think I have much to lose.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd leave it as is.

Tom

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd stick it in an album. Looks like a perfect candidate for that type of service.
  • Options

<< <i>The coin is not ugly based on your pictures. It is still the same coin you owned before sending it in for grading, so why would you dislike it now? I definitely would not dip it. As the other poster said, a dipped AU is just ugly and if trying to sell it would net you less money than the coin in its current condition. Your coin is a good album coin. That is what I would do with it. >>

In this case its not about liking or dislike of the coin it is more about getting the most possible from this coin to buy one I do like.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse has not been cleaned. The reverse is the cleaned side. I agree that it's an AU
    and not an MS coin. Put it in the album and nobody will even pay attention to the reverse.

Nice coin!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it has been chemically cleaned and not rinsed well, and since retoned. A quick 1 second dip might improve it a little without any harm but wouldn't remove much tarnish. Any longer, especially long enough to remove all the crud, will leave it dull gray.
    Don't mess with it unless you want to ruin it.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The coin is not ugly based on your pictures. It is still the same coin you owned before sending it in for grading, so why would you dislike it now? I definitely would not dip it. As the other poster said, a dipped AU is just ugly and if trying to sell it would net you less money than the coin in its current condition. Your coin is a good album coin. That is what I would do with it. >>

In this case its not about liking or dislike of the coin it is more about getting the most possible from this coin to buy one I do like. >>

As you mentioned and as I have mentioned, the price difference between an AU and an MS is minimal. Even between and XF and MS the price is minimal. If you want to sell the coin, sell it as is instead of tampering (doctoring) with it. I would hope you are not nitpicking over a twenty to thirty dollars difference. Plus, you already mentioned resubmitting. What happens when you resubmit, and the coin comes back AU details, cleaned? Then you will be even more upset and you would have wasted another thirty dollars. If you want to buy one that you like (even though you said it was not about liek or dislike, and then turned around and said like), then sell this one and use the proceeds to buy one already slabbed. So what if you are out a few dollars? You will be out allot more if you keep trying to get this thing to grade.

• Options
    The cleaning on this coin is very evident on the reverse, the dulled out foggy flattened out features are the give away signs image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think dipping it would accentuate some otherwise non-obvious marks...therefore I don't think your objective of maxing your return would be helped.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'm certain the coin has been cleaned/ dipped in the past and since then has retoned. The obverse shows evidence of that. Leave the coin as it is. Dipping it will only make the evidence of cleaning more obvious.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe you would be happy with the results if you dipped this coin. If you do not want it then sell it as-is and buy something else.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Put it on ebay and don't look back.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell 'as is'... there is a market for CC's, and many collectors would like to have that coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no economic advange to fooling around with this coin because the 1885-CC dollar has no spread between the circulated and Mint State grades. I think that the piece was cleaned with baking soda many years ago and has re-toned. The reverse reflects that problem. It does have Unc. sharpness, but this is a date that comes nice so that does not mean very much. The slab pretty much says it all. A coin doctor could make it white again and a less than honest dealer could sell it as an Unc. at a "bargain" price, but that's not what thread should be about.

I'd say leave it alone.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave as is, sell, and move on is what I'd do.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd stick it in an album. Looks like a perfect candidate for that type of service. >>

ill second that motion
  • Options
    Now Dipped

This was an experiment, how do you feel it worked out?

• Options
    I liked the original better. The coin looks lackluster now in my opinion. Good luck trying to get it graded. If you are sending it to PCGS or NGC, just don't be surprised when the coin comes back as altered surfaces.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see ms63, sorry
    I see wear on all the high points.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see ms63, sorry
    I see wear on all the high points. >>

And yet I've seen more than a few CC dollars in MS-61 though 63 holders with wear on those points. BUT in today's more strict environment I don't see that happening for this coin. I'd have to see the reverse in person to be sure, but one take on it is that "altered surfaces" are in its future.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    This coin was part of my order that was in the grading room for close to 60 working days.....

Coin came back MS62!

So in the end it worked out.
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>This coin was part of my order that was in the grading room for close to 60 working days.....

Coin came back MS62!

So in the end it worked out. >>

Always take others' opinions with a grain of salt here. image Congratulations! I Actually thought it looked much better after you dipped it. And I am sure the luster is much better than your photos show as with all of your other photos.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

If it had come back anything other than mint state, you would have had a really scarce '85-CC. Bummer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This coin was part of my order that was in the grading room for close to 60 working days.....

Coin came back MS62!

So in the end it worked out. >>

Always take others' opinions with a grain of salt here. image Congratulations! I Actually thought it looked much better after you dipped it. And I am sure the luster is much better than your photos show as with all of your other photos. >>

I have been working on a fix for my lack“luster” photos, and once the coin gets back in my hands I will take new photos and update this again.

I took these photos over half a year ago and now with over 5k more photos taken, the new photos should be much better.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    I find the coin much more attractive now.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

Last update with new photos.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the original images, I would have not dipped it and just sold it holdered as a problem coin. Looks like I was wrong. The coin looks much better now, but monitor it for retoning. There are some dark spots that may continue their chemical reaction.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done James.... I like the look of that coin now..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file