Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just to confirm... GSA's COA

All GSA coins have a COA, right? And, if one were to claim it was never opened and, once opened, it did not have the COA, would that be evidence of tampering?

Comments

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Some will have a "card" in them that serves as the COA that have a serial number on them. The first 2 digits of the serial number should match with what year the coin is, like this one does.
    serial number

Some have 2 cards that do not have a serial number on them like this one.
    no serial number

Dont ask me what the difference is or why lol, I dont know. But if it does not have either of these examples and the seller claims that it was "never opened", they're lying.

Hope this helps.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some will have a "card" in them that serves as the COA that have a serial number on them. The first 2 digits of the serial number should match with what year the coin is, like this one does.
    serial number

Some have 2 cards that do not have a serial number on them like this one.
    no serial number

Dont ask me what the difference is or why lol, I dont know. But if it does not have either of these examples and the seller claims that it was "never opened", they're lying.

Hope this helps. >>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ones with the numbers only came in the "higher" quality lots (where the case says Uncirculated Silver Dollar). The ones without numbers were in the holders that say "Silver Dollar."

To the OP, I believe all GSA dollars came with the cards in the box.

• << <i>But if it does not have either of these examples and the seller claims that it was "never opened", they're lying. >>

Doesn't have to be a lie- could be a lack of knowledge. I would imagine there's always the possibility that someone was told as much by the person they bought from in the first place.
  • Yeah, that is the question: If not card in an unopened GSA, then there is some foul play going on, correct?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, that is the question: If not card in an unopened GSA, then there is some foul play going on, correct? >>

They are easy to open and reseal believe it or not. I suspect that is what has happened. May not have been by
    this person but someone along the road pulled the certificate(s) by mistake.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All GSAs came with COA's.
    On the cases themselves it was marked as "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" and "Silver Dollar"
    Those that were marked with "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" had a numbered COA of which the first two digits were the date of the coin. e.g, 8409785 Was a 1884-CC
    Those with the "Silver Dollar" on the case came with a generic unnumbered COA.
    Also all 1880's came with an additional (third) small card.
    Generally coins with toning, or weak strikes (pancake ears) were judged to be circulated and went in the "Silver Dollar" cases. But almost all (it turns out) were in fact uncirculated.
    Some cards alone (like the 1879) are worth hundreds of dollars themselves. One sure way to tell if a GSA is not original is if the COA does not match the coin either by serial number or case. You see it ALL the time.
    And yes, many of the "sealed boxes" turn out to be scams.

Good luck.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    So, those who sell boxes and COAs only on ebay, are these counterfeit? or are they selling the remnants of submitting their GSAs to PCGS for grading? image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

• << <i>Doesn't have to be a lie- could be a lack of knowledge. I would imagine there's always the possibility that someone was told as much by the person they bought from in the first place. >>

This is irrelevant.

If I sell a graded coin and turns out fake, I am responsible, regardless of my knowledge of its authenticity.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If I sell a graded coin and turns out fake, I am responsible, regardless of my knowledge of its authenticity

Excellent point. Ultimately, it is the seller who should take on some accountability of what they are selling. Sure, the buyer must beware and try to be as knowledgable as they can, but selling something and not knowing what you are selling is troublesome to me when I come across it. All jmho.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    There is the possibility that the COA was never put in the set. I purchased a brand new box of 1960 proof sets unopened and a few were missing the ink stamps on the outside of the envelops and a couple were missing the paperwork inside. These were original sets still had the original shipping info on the outer box.

Now I know these were US mint products but still stuff happens.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>This is irrelevant.

If I sell a graded coin and turns out fake, I am responsible, regardless of my knowledge of its authenticity. >>

My point is that making a claim due to lack of knowledge is not the same thing as lying.

• << <i>

<< <i>This is irrelevant.

If I sell a graded coin and turns out fake, I am responsible, regardless of my knowledge of its authenticity. >>

My point is that making a claim due to lack of knowledge is not the same thing as lying. >>

Agreed.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    remember that mint products are not always complete or as described

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file