Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this neg-able?

Bought this coin on eBay on Sunday.

I bought the coin above Sunday night. I had to make a deposit on Monday, and paid for it Monday afternoon. Earlier this afternoon, I get an email from PayPal saying my payment has been refunded, and I get this email from the seller:

<< <i>We had this coin for sale concurrently in our store. The coin was sold in store & not taken off ebay in time. This is our mistake are sorry for any problems this may have caused.
We thank you for your business
World coin >>

I think the guy is giving me a load of BS, so I call his shop and pretend to be a collector trying to fill some holes in his collection. I ask about some various other coins, and then ask if he has a 55 DDO in stock. He kind of chuckles, and says they in fact do have an NGC AU53 in stock, and he can sell it to me for $2150.

So, clearly the seller was not happy with the selling price, and decides to back out of the transaction. So, should I neg him?

-Paul
Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    i would neg him and report him for not completing the transaction
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    I know I am new to all this but why not ask him about that over the phone and see what he does.

I would try to work out a deal before starting a conflict.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    if you look at only his neg feedback seems he pulls this alot on people id vote for a neg
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    YES. That's a dirtbag move if you ask me. If the guy had actually sold it in the store before removing it from eBay I wouldn't have given a neg, but the fact that he just didn't like the selling price is a real DB move. I'd leave a nasty neg.

Ugh....check him out on Toolhaus
    On 9/15/10 he received this neutral feedback: "i won,then paid.then seller tells me he cant sell for that price."

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice investigative work.

go ahead. it'll be hard to tell that story in the feedback though.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. To me it is.
    I am sure some dealers will come on here and defend this type of practice, but to me, it is dishonest.
    Looking at the coin, I wouldn't have even bid on it, but that doesn't change facts.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    You should call him back and offer him exactly what your final ebay price was, when you rightfully won it.

Call people on this BS!
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, added to prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn, and the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's some pretty horrible neg feedback others have left for this seller and there's a lot of it.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When one bids on a auction, it is legally considered an offer.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Negative feedback required.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. But I agree it would be smart to try and work this out.

If you neg him it will stick but his rebuttal will be plausible if he stays with his original story.

If you can't work it out at least he knows you know he is a dirtbag and you will have the upper hand and a "gotcha" rebuttal to any justification he might post.
    Lance.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    call back and get pix too. would be interesting if there is a second avail, in the same grade...
    then leave a negative for him!!!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Clearly the guy is a Dirt-Bag, like doh said. I would not have bid on his auction. He clearly has a low feedback rating, which would keep me from bidding. If anyone has lower than a 99% feedback I don't even bother, especially considering how many transactions the guy has done. That means he has seriously shafted quite a number of people. We aren't talking about a couple deals that went south, but repetitive faulty business practices, this guy is no good in my book.

• Options
    Yes.

If it really had been sold, no.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Definitely a neg, but that seems too easy on him. It would be nice to hear from some dealers here about this. Personally, I think he's a fool because he is so vulnerable by phone.

Sorry you didn't get the coin you wanted and obviously deserved.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Seller refuses to ship coin but offers me same coin over the phone for $465 more than my winning bid."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neg away
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Seller refuses to ship coin but offers me same coin over the phone for $465 more than my winning bid." >>

PERFECT image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Seller refuses to ship coin but offers me same coin over the phone for $465 more than my winning bid." >>

PERFECT image >>

BINGO! Definitely neg him.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    In this guys defense (not saying he is right, there are two sides to a coin.)

he is doing true auctions and not using shills, so that good right?
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In this guys defense (not saying he is right, there are two sides to a coin.)

he is doing true auctions and not using shills, so that good right? >>

Wrong is wrong, no matter how it's justified. If he really needed a set amount, he should include a reserve. He is just hoping that a no reserve auction will hype-up interest in his coin, it didn't.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In this guys defense (not saying he is right, there are two sides to a coin.)

Wrong is wrong, no matter how it's justified. If he really needed a set amount, he should include a reserve. He is just hoping that a no reserve auction will hype-up interest in his coin, it didn't. >>

Yes I know it was sarcastic. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't follow through at the end, no, it isn't good nor is it right. The seller has NO defense, imho.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd definitely leave a neg here, but I might have some more fun, first. You might be able to string him along for a while if you want to waste some of his time for your own enjoyment. Or, you can just call him out on it right now. I'd probably make it really clear to him before leaving the feedback, if for no other reason than to catch him off-guard live, rather than just his seeing another crappy feedback post.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I would neg this seller twice if I could.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>

If you don't follow through at the end, no, it isn't good nor is it right. The seller has NO defense, imho. >>

i agree its actually not a true auction because hes not selling to the highest bidder he is either just a bad business man (based on his feedback's where it seems he does this alot) or is going about finding realized prices in all the wrong ways
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Sure.

Neg him if you think it'll make you feel better!

Of course, you neg will have "zero" impact on his overall feedback.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think you should give him a break. I'm sure all those other negs for non-delivery are just coincidence and he's an honest, upstanding guy.

(For the sarcasm impaired: Neg him so hard he lands in the next universe).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

If he has a minimum acceptable price he should start his acution at it or set a reserve price. His reputation (and ebay seller discounts) should suffer with this type of behavior. Ebay has made it easier to start auctions at higher prices with their "100 per month" free auction style listings.

• Options

<< <i>Maybe. But I agree it would be smart to try and work this out.

If you neg him it will stick but his rebuttal will be plausible if he stays with his original story.

If you can't work it out at least he knows you know he is a dirtbag and you will have the upper hand and a "gotcha" rebuttal to any justification he might post.
    Lance. >>

Can't the buyer counter his rebuttal feedback?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that's some pretty horrible neg feedback others have left for this seller and there's a lot of it. >>

My favorite one is the war nickel "advertised as silver when in fact it's only 30%" as if the buyer is telling us something here lol great stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Can't the buyer counter his rebuttal feedback? >>

Yes, but it doesn't remove what the buyer stated.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Looks like this guy has a history of running "true auctions" that he won't honor if he doesn't like the price. Neg city.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

Can't the buyer counter his rebuttal feedback? >>

Yes, but it doesn't remove what the buyer stated. >>

So whats wrong with:

Neg: Seller reneged on auction because the "right" price was not achieved.
    Seller: Coin was sold on another venue. Sorry.
    Neg: Coin is still for sale in his Coin Shop. Call World Coin & Jewelry Exchange in Florida.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    NEG but you might of had a lucky escape.

There appears to possibly be some crud (possible verdigris?) on the obverse, right of 9 in date, bottom centre of Lincoln's bust, above right of G and D in God and E of WE?

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NEG THE BUM!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Yes I would give him a negative.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. It's a binding contract according to the Ebay bylaws that everyone agrees to when they become an Ebayer. He broke the rules and lied; plain and simple. Nuke him!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what did you say after he offered it to you for $2150?

Isn't there a small possibility that he had ANOTHER example that he was selling for $2150 and that he actually did already sell the ebay coin prior to the auction ending? (I know, unlikely, but not impossible...)

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

The above statement seems pretty accurate based on what the OP states to be the facts. So, is it a stretch to say the OP could file a complaint with ebay for fee avoidance. Same coin he won, now being offered outside of ebay to the same buyer. Generally people get the boot from ebay for this stuff, don't they?

Not an ebay expert, but sure sounds like leverage to me.

Good luck. I vote for the neg.

Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't there a small possibility that he had ANOTHER example that he was selling for $2150 and that he actually did already sell the ebay coin prior to the auction ending? (I know, unlikely, but not impossible...) >>

It would be great if someone had a local friend who went to the shop and checked the cert number. If it matched the eBay coin, there's your smoking gun.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd definitely leave a neg here, but I might have some more fun, first. You might be able to string him along for a while if you want to waste some of his time for your own enjoyment. Or, you can just call him out on it right now. I'd probably make it really clear to him before leaving the feedback, if for no other reason than to catch him off-guard live, rather than just his seeing another crappy feedback post. >>

image Call him back and ask him if he can send you the coin on approval. Confirm the NGC cert number, and send him a check for the winning bid, along with copies of the listing and his correspondence. After this transaction, NEG HIM!
    Paul
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what did you say after he offered it to you for $2150?

Isn't there a small possibility that he had ANOTHER example that he was selling for $2150 and that he actually did already sell the ebay coin prior to the auction ending? (I know, unlikely, but not impossible...) >>

You could ask for the cert number for the one he has over the phone. If it is the same, neg.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    What amazes me is that folks still bid on auctions of a seller with 128 negs & 127 neutrals ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i would neg him and report him for not completing the transaction >>

Agree. He lied to you and deserves a neg. This is an obvious no brainer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neg away. He earned it.
    Edit to remove my wrong words.
    Larry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure.

Neg him if you think it'll make you feel better!

Of course, you neg will have "zero" impact on his overall feedback. >>

What is wrong with giving a well deserved neg? If nothing else, it will help warn future bidders that this guy don't play by the rules and is a liar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, that's some pretty horrible neg feedback others have left for this seller and there's a lot of it. >>

My favorite one is the war nickel "advertised as silver when in fact it's only 30%" as if the buyer is telling us something here lol great stuff. >>

classic!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    No brainer. Neg.
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Call him back and ask him if he can send you the coin on approval. Confirm the NGC cert number, and send him a check for the winning bid, along with copies of the listing and his correspondence. After this transaction, NEG HIM! >>

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file