Home Precious Metals

shipping gold/silver, Registered vs. Priority

Do you folks always use registered mail for the safety? or do you use the priority boxes for the weight advantage?

If shipping registered can use a Priority box and just cover it with the brown tape?

curious!

p.s. can you get the tape at Staples??

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priority flat rate box can be used for registered mail. Two types of registered: first class (under 13 oz) and priority (over 13 oz.). A registered package weighing over 13 oz. will be charged at the priority rate even if it is not in a priority box. Mailing registered priority does not speed up the delivery but it does enable you to take advantage of priority flat rate boxes for heavier shipments of high value. Of course there's added fees for the registered. All box seams have to be covered with PAPER tape. I use the tape with glued back (just wet) from staples. For medium flat rate priority box with $2500 insurance expect to spend $25-30. For registered first class with $2500 insurance expect to spend $20-25. My one oz gold coins (first class registered) usually run about $20 insured. Don't purchase priority (or use priority box) registered for anything that is eligible for first class registered. The extra priority fee does not speed up delivery. When shipping registered don't bother with signature confirmation - purchase electronic return receipt while at the postal counter. Electronic return receipt gives you the same online tracking, is accepted by paypal, is about half the price of sig confirmation and requires no additional forms to be filled out.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to consider..EXPRESS MAIL Flat Rate Envelope..for $17.40 ( online label ... signature of recipient required) 1-2 day delivery guaranteed or your money back.

I don't believe you can get the brown paper tape at Staples. I had to purchase mine online, but I can't remember where.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>I don't believe you can get the brown paper tape at Staples. I had to purchase mine online, but I can't remember where. >>

I get mine at Staples, may be regional perhaps?
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy mine at staples as well
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I have separate insurance to cover express mail. Even sent 2 express mails overseas totalling over 100K in the last couple of weeks.