Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

John Lennon Silver Proof Crown

Fresh in form the The Royal Mint

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice photo, EDB. And great coin. Still waiting for mine.

Welcome aboard! image 5 posts a year, huh?
    Lance.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Nice photo!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    EDBEDB Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks Lance ... w.r.t. posts, typically I don't have too much to say but much to learn ... image
  • Options
    Good for you. Still waters run deep.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like pop culture mixed with coins. I think I dislike this coin even more than the Princess Diana crown from 1999.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't like pop culture mixed with coins. I think I dislike this coin even more than the Princess Diana crown from 1999. >>

I'm sure you're not alone. Perhaps this is better said in another thread?
    Lance.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin very much. John Lennon was to music, cultural change, and philosophy that Edison was to practical inventions. Like him personally or not he definately deserves this honor that this commemorative

represents. I only hope the rest of the fab four are so honored in the future....that would be an awsome set to own, imho

image Peace!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't like pop culture mixed with coins. I think I dislike this coin even more than the Princess Diana crown from 1999. >>

..........................this coin is liked , oh Lordy yes , it is loved
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened mine up and after my first look fell in absolute love with it.

John is still giving us his love after all these years.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    mine are dang near perfect .....who will be the first to have PCGS grade them ?
  • Options

<< <i>I opened mine up and after my first look fell in absolute love with it.

John is still giving us his love after all these years. >>

Well said (for a Cheesehead)! image
  • Options
    I love the coin! I wish I had gotten two now, since both of my teenagers want it. Pop culture? Maybe? But it's my history, and a big chunk of my life. To those on this forum that made me aware of its sale date...a big THANKS! It's kind of amazing when you think about it, my guess is most of us are not youngsters anymore and yet John Lennon still strikes an emotional chord. I agree with all the Britons that voted him on the coin, it is a deserved honor. Maybe I'll order two of the nickel clad ones for my kids for Christmas--but the silver one is mine.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    They both look so dour.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now if this was Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd I would be all over this. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know if I ever see that coin being used for a coin flip, heads or tails, I'm calling "Heads"
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I think it's cool, does it really weigh 5 Pounds, I thought they had the metric system?image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite John Lennon quote,

"This is a sing-along. Those of you in the cheap seats - clap your hands. You in the expensive seats up front - just rattle your jewelry."
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like it. Not even a good likeness... more like a caricature. Would not buy one anyway. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were four Beatles.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I will buy all I can get my hands on at the right price
  • Options
    Very sweet coin. Mine finally arrived. It's a keeper.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    these are sellin @ eBay now between 225 - 275 $
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I had to check which forum I was on...
    another Thread for a Dark Side coin
    ...on the US Coin Forum.

Nice coin - but it doesn't belong here.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this thread is at the top for the moment, I finally received my order. Transit time - about 2 weeks.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    "Nice coin - but it doesn't belong here."

if that is how you feel , and publicly state as such ; then you are compelled to contact a moderator to have this thread removed

...........otherwise , your comment is useless and frivolous : as it is here - now isn't it
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I like the coin's concept and overall design but, like Ricko, am disappointed with the portrait. Very peculiar looking and not worthy of good 'ole John.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    This will be a great coin for flipping...Heads on both sides. John Lennon and the Queen. Now if Sir Elton John is every honored the outcome of any flip would be Queens...

I just received my four yesterday. Many thanks to whoever posted the release. I ordered on Sunday, November 7th and was quite surprised that I got them considering that there were reports of them selling out in 7 days. I'm sure if they were numbered they'd be #'s 4997,98,99 and 5000...

Watch for them in about 20 years when my son puts them on Ebay...

Thanks again for the post!!

KP
  • Options

<< <i>I like the coin's concept and overall design but, like Ricko, am disappointed with the portrait. Very peculiar looking and not worthy of good 'ole John. >>

Thats what put me off it too , although a family member has bought me one i wont be flipping it as so many others seem to have set out to do which is a shame for those who really wanted one.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will the single gold proof bring at auction??
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree and disagree. I agree with that statement on principle (I wouldn't want to see Hello Kitty half dollars or Seinfeld quarters), but I would also argue that John Lennon definitely belongs on a coin for his contributions to music and culture. It doesn't hurt that he's dead, either- "martyred", in some people's minds. I for one liked the also-dead George Harrison better, but John was definitely the creative powerhouse.

The Beatles have gotten far enough in the past to have transcended mere pop culture and have become part of the "classical music" of the future, in a way. Even if you don't like 'em, you have to admit their impact was enormous. And I for one would say that even after you wash all the schlock of pop culture away, they've still got an eminently respectable artistic legacy.

What's the difference between this and the USA putting Duke Ellington on a quarter?

Once upon a time, Shakespeare, Bach, Beethoven, and Edgar Allen Poe were "pop culture".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They both look so dour. >>

One has to wonder what John and the Queen think about sharing the same coin with one another, as if they were shoved into the back seat of a taxi. I can imagine him gently poking fun at her while she scowls.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.