Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smoeone got a bunch of MS68FB 1939-D Dimes (and two with the +)

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Did anyone else see this in the shared pages.
(I took out the cert numbers, as it is not my submission)

I wonder where those will show up for sale?

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
1 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
2 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
3 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
4 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
5 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68+FB
6 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68+FB
Total Items: 6
Date Received: 11/9/2010
Date Shipped: N/A
Order Status: OK

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    WOW

WOW

WOW
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's quite a haul of 39-D's. Big $.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, that should lower the price of those things a bit. I will need to buy one of those at some point. I hope they're pretty! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet, that should lower the price of those things a bit. I will need to buy one of those at some point. I hope they're pretty! image >>

Greg,

Every MS68 PCGS coin I have seen had some amount of Natural Toning.

Here is an image of my 1939 MS 68.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    there you go... that's what a ms68 is suppose to look like!

Nuclear luster, virtually flawless surfaces, great strike... I have seen some ms68s with noticable hits before. Not sure why.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    There is no way those were raw submissions. I'm thinking someone sent in 6 of them for SecurePlus, and two got the +.

Here is a 1939-D PCGS MS68FB I owned a few months back. It had a CAC sticker too.

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only 19 ms68 mercs that are cac stickered and no FB designation
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    39-D's are the easiest Mercury to find nice followed closely by the 43-D.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> There is no way those were raw submissions. I'm thinking someone sent in 6 of them for SecurePlus, and two got the +. >>

Exactly my thoughts
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>there you go... that's what a ms68 is suppose to look like!

Nuclear luster, virtually flawless surfaces, great strike... I have seen some ms68s with noticable hits before. Not sure why. >>

I can't help but think your comments were heavily swayed by the grade you know the coin received. Rather than "nuclear luster", I see subdued luster. And rather than a "great strike", I see noticeable areas of weakness. I also see two ""noticeable" hits on the upper central portion of the reverse.

The coin might look fantastic in hand, but it sure doesn't scream MS68 to me in the images.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    These are undoubtedly from the mini-hoard of 1939-D and 1940-D Mercury dimes that surfaced in Colorado
    a while back. One of them is on the cover of David Lange's book (2nd edition). They were evidently
    stored in those bank books, where you filled the book with dimes and then deposited them into your
    savings account. The toning produced by the cardboard and dry Colorado air was spectacular!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second the idea that these were from the well kown mini-hoard of high grade, wonderfully toned 1939-D Mercs that surfaced in the early 1990s. A fair number of these received the MS68 and MS68FB grade from PCGS and some were regraded later as MS69 or MS69FB coins. The MS69 and MS69FB coins are in the newer blue insert holders while the MS68 and MS68FB coins were initially in the OGH generation holders. I have one graded MS68FB with a CAC sticker on it in the OGH and it is below. By the way, I have seen some of these that were regraded MS69 and MS69FB and my coin was clearly nicer, though I have not had it regraded-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a few MS67FB with dripping luster blast white from an original roll. The best coins were in the center of the roll.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I second the idea that these were from the well kown mini-hoard of high grade, wonderfully toned 1939-D Mercs that surfaced in the early 1990s. A fair number of these received the MS68 and MS68FB grade from PCGS and some were regraded later as MS69 or MS69FB coins. The MS69 and MS69FB coins are in the newer blue insert holders while the MS68 and MS68FB coins were initially in the OGH generation holders. I have one graded MS68FB with a CAC sticker on it in the OGH and it is below. By the way, I have seen some of these that were regraded MS69 and MS69FB and my coin was clearly nicer, though I have not had it regraded-

image >>

Wow, that coin is spectacular Tom!!!!
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [qimage
    image >>

That coin has very pleasing surfaces! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom
    Thanks for posting that merc.It's just spectacular.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed Tom and others were correct.
    This group came from the 1990 hoard.

Legend Numismatics just bought them and resubmitted them.
    towards the bottom
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the coins in the OP were not tarnished. The Mercs are exceptionally beautiful when blast white. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I hope the coins in the OP were not tarnished. The Mercs are exceptionally beautiful when blast white. Cheers, RickO >>

I hope they all look like Tom's! image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best tends to float to the top before they find their way to strong hands....

...never to be seen again.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone else see this in the shared pages.
    (I took out the cert numbers, as it is not my submission)

I wonder where those will show up for sale?

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    1 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
    2 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
    3 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
    4 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68FB
    5 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68+FB
    6 1 5019 1939-D 10C US MS68+FB
    Total Items: 6
    Date Received: 11/9/2010
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK >>

For some folks, "It's a wonderful life!"

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I just bought one! I emailed Laura and she promised to pick one for me. I am so happy. It will go nice with my Morgans. image
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course, I havent seen these coins in hand, but dont these coins in this grade trade for about $1,000 even with the green bean.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought one! I emailed Laura and she promised to pick one for me. I am so happy. It will go nice with my Morgans. image >>

Congrats!

• Options
    coins looking like that do not trade cheap. if it were an MS68 Morgan, it would be $25,000.00 vs $4,000.00. I am not concerned one bit about this purchase!
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Have they posted pictures yet?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I need to go through the rolls I have.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Indeed Tom and others were correct.
    This group came from the 1990 hoard.

Legend Numismatics just bought them and resubmitted them.
    towards the bottom >>

My information is that these are from rolls bought by Dennis Steinmetz (Central PA dealer). Any attribution for your information?

Perhaps noted Colorado Mercury 10c expert Dave Olmstead can help us.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Legend has 2 of them, including this one:

• Options

<< <i>I bought one of the ms68+ coins. Should arrive tomorrow. >>

I imagine it will look quite a bit like mine in terms of depth of color and luster. Therefore, you should be very happy with the coin.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you keep it bring to to the show this weekend! I want to see it. I almost jumped on one of these myself. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

So did I. And there's no comparison between Tom's or Legend's coins vs the lightly toned coin in this thread. Two different worlds of collectors for them.
  • Options

<< <i>

So did I. And there's no comparison between Tom's or Legend's coins vs the lightly toned coin in this thread. Two different worlds of collectors for them. >>

Did you use your employee Black Friday discount? image

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So did I. And there's no comparison between Tom's or Legend's coins vs the lightly toned coin in this thread. Two different worlds of collectors for them. >>

MJ >>

She charges me extra just for sport. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

She charges me extra just for sport. image >>

No doubt

The merc Connecticoin posted from the Legend site is speaking to me. Cool group. MJ
  • Options
    I think I really want one.

What to do?

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still had two mooses last time I checked, WOW!
  • Options
    Could this one be from that same hoard found in 1990?

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    That is some great results from Pcgs, the coins must be monsters!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options

<< <i>And rather than a "great strike", I see noticeable areas of weakness. >>

That is struck weak. And, BTW, what 1939-D 10C doesn't have FBs?

Here's a lousy scan, but, sufficient, at least, to demonstrate where the strike on the subject coin comes up short:

• Options

<< <i>Could this one be from that same hoard found in 1990?

image >>

No, it does not even give a hint as having come from that hoard. Examples from that group have a very distinct appearance.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

No, it does not even give a hint as having come from that hoard. Examples from that group have a very distinct appearance. >>

Mark,

When I compare mine with the one from Legend, I see the same non-toned band in the middle, luster that I can't seem to get in my image, reds and greens, and a mintmark in the same location. I also see the semi-circle which appears on the obverse the Legend images. PCGS graded mine as an MS67FB, which puts it pretty close to the 68s.

<< <i>

image >>

No, it does not even give a hint as having come from that hoard. Examples from that group have a very distinct appearance. >>

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Tony, I can only go by the images you provided. And based on those images, yours/the color looks very different from the examples I have seen from the hoard.
  • Options
    Thanks, Mark, could you share what some of the highlights are that make the coins in the hoard so distinctive? I think I'll work on my image, too.

Tony

• Options
    I own one of the dimes from that hoard and my impression is that they typically have vivid, rather clear splashes of greens and blues near the rims with more red than brown toning in other places.

• Options

<< <i>I own one of the dimes from that hoard and my impression is that they typically have vivid, rather clear splashes of greens and blues near the rims with more red than brown toning in other places. >>

I agree about the colors (and would add that some of them exhibit violet, as well). They remind me of colorful jewels.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoe people strikes again !
  • Options
    Thanks, Mark and Tom.

I think it is more my images than anything. One of the ones Laura offered me had a completely brown color back (it was just dead), so I know they vary quite a bit.

The clear cosistancies with mine and the images I've seen on Legend's site.

1) The same band of white on rougly the same angle.
    2) The same mint mark (meaning literally the same reverse die).
    3) The same range of colors.
    4) The same flashy surface.
    5) The same semi-circle (I think from being in a stack of coins at one time).

The colors on mine are reds, greens, violet, a hint of yellow, very little brown (only mentioned for accuracy -- very little), and some blue on the reverse under "OF AM"

• Options

<< <i>Thanks, Mark and Tom.

I think it is more my images than anything. One of the ones Laura offered me had a completely brown color back (it was just dead), so I know they vary quite a bit.

The clear cosistancies with mine and the images I've seen on Legend's site.

1) The same band of white on rougly the same angle.
    2) The same mint mark (meaning literally the same reverse die).
    3) The same range of colors.
    4) The same flashy surface.
    5) The same semi-circle (I think from being in a stack of coins at one time).

The colors on mine are reds, greens, violet, a hint of yellow, very little brown (only mentioned for accuracy -- very little), and some blue on the reverse under "OF AM" >>

Tony, your updated image and comment make me think you might be correct, after all. Still, I wish I could see it in hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file