Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

FS: Book set: Estudio de los Reales de a Ocho by Tomas Dasi & other Spanish/Mexican Numismatic

For sale:

5 volume set by Tomas Dasi, Valencia 1951. "Estudio de los Reales de a Ocho."
This is a scarce and important work on Spanish colonial coins (not only crowns
but also has information on smaller coins).

This set #287 of 500 printed. Volume 1 has inscription and signature, but I cannot
tell if it is by the author or someone else.

I believe this set has been rebound with its original front and rear boards. Spine
reinforced with blue plastic/cloth material. Corners banged on all 5 volumes.
Contents smell a bit of smoke (fireplace, not tobacco). Overall VG condition.

$600 plus shipping, or make a reasonable offer.

Edited to add: This work is not a catalog. There are no prices listed. But it does have all the laws and decrees pertaining to the coinage.

SOLD

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also have the 2 volume set of "Compendio de las Piezas de Ocho Reales" by Gabriel Calbeto de Grau, 1970. $500 OBO plus shipping.
    Also have a copy of the OIN reprint (1970) of the Latin American part of the Fonrobert sale. This is an indispensable reference of coins and medals of Latin America in the form of an auction catalog of a German firm in 1878. Originals are quite rare and extremely fragile, due to the materials used (I know firsthand as I own one). But the book is still referenced today, especially for proclamation medals that are not well cataloged elsewhere.

Here is the title page: "Die Jules Fonrobert'sche Sammlung überseeischer Münzen und Medaillen. Ein Beitrag zur Münzgeschichte aussereuropäischer Länder. Bearbeitet von Adolph Weyl. Amerika. II. Abtheilung: Central-Amerika. a) Mexiko. Mit vielen in den Text gedruckten Abbildungen. Berlin 1878...."

Brown hard cover, no DJ as issued, 1164pp, German text (but easy to understand), line drawings throughout, Fine condition. $70 or make a reasonable offer.
    Also have a complete set of 4 volumes of the Spanish 1970s reprint of the important collection of Manuel Vidal Quadras y Ramon. Still a very useful work today, more than 110 years after it was published. Fine condition softcover (rustica) except the front cover of the first volume has a few holes from a hole puncher (why?). Contents completely undamaged and pristine. $300.
    Also available, some coffee table books:

"The Mexican Banknote" (scarce English version), hardbound w/DJ, 1999-2000, fine cond., $100.
    "Casa de Moneda de Mexico, Presencia en el Mundo, 1535-1990," hardbound w/DJ, 1990, fine cond., $120.
    Books anyone?
  • hello stephen im interested in your calbeto and dasi books, do you collect mexican 8 reales? or pruebas
    I have many other duplicates of books on Mexican numismatics, too many to list here.

Please send me your want list. If I don't have it, I will try to obtain it for you.
  • hey stephen , como estas? this is Juan Pablo from mexico
    im interested in the books ,i recently found a coin im not sure if its a pattern its a copper 50 pesos of 1996 it dosent say N$ only 50 pesos its al copper , have you seen one like this? im looking for this books:

Tokens of Mexico
    Frank W. Grove
    Frank W. Grove, 1989 - 280 páginas

Título Mexican Balance Scale - Silver Coinage, 1869-1895: An Annotated Checklist with Pricing Information
    Autor Russell H. Goodyear
    Fotografías de Robert R. White
    Edición ilustrada
    Editor Latin American Press, 1990
    ISBN 0934693072, 9780934693073
    N.º de páginas 48 páginas

Numismática Mexicana – Una Guía de su Literatura
    (Mexican Numismatics – A Guidebook of its Literature)
    Author: Christopher Martin Bolton Morgan
    First Edition, Mexico, D.F. 2008
    Language: Spanish

History of the Mexican Mint from Its Founding, 1535-1935
    Ernst Ludwig Maximilian Emil Wittich
    - 72 páginas