Very cool 1964-D FOS Peace $1 production blog from Daniel Carr

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    That's a lot to keep track of.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are more then a few members who wished they all looked like that picture with or without the word copy stamped on itimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If Mr. Carr possessed the ethical values of Ron Landis at the Gallery Mint, there would be no “issues.” However, it appears that is not the case, and whatever he claims is suspect.
  • Options

<< <i>If Mr. Carr possessed the ethical values of Ron Landis at the Gallery Mint, there would be no “issues.” However, it appears that is not the case, and whatever he claims is suspect. >>

I'm sure you haven't consulted with Landis on this issue at all. He likely has entirely different ideas than you on the subject.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the "repunched mint mark" of Die Pair #5 was supposed to be die characteristic that would tell future generations that these were not genuine Denver Mint products.

Did I misunderstand that explanation earlier on?

I see that some of the later reverse dies do not have repunched mint marks. How significant is this?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>If Mr. Carr possessed the ethical values of Ron Landis at the Gallery Mint, there would be no “issues.” However, it appears that is not the case, and whatever he claims is suspect. >>

I choose not to judge someone's ethical value's ; unless they are a convicted criminal
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>I thought that the "repunched mint mark" of Die Pair #1 was supposed to be die characteristic that would tell future generations that these were not genuine Denver Mint products.

I see that some of the later reverse dies do not have repunched mint marks. How significant is this?

TD >>

all Mr. Carr's peace dollars were struck from a single set of dies
  • Options

<< <i>I thought that the "repunched mint mark" of Die Pair #1 was supposed to be die characteristic that would tell future generations that these were not genuine Denver Mint products.

TD >>

The newer die pairs have a die gouge, which is another diagnostic along the same lines that also differentiates the pairings.
  • Options
    I like the 64 obverse with the Denver Mint Centennial Reverse.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 64 obverse with the Denver Mint Centennial Reverse.

John >>

I agree with you, I would like to have that one ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 64 obverse with the Denver Mint Centennial Reverse.

John >>

imageimage
    Pure Copper.....Nice!!!! image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we know that the real 1964D's did not have a die gouge ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

TD >>

all Mr. Carr's peace dollars were struck from a single set of dies >>

Not true. Read the blog.

CarrBlogLink

Four different reverse dies used. One with D repunched north-south, one with D repunched east-west, one with D not repunched and more or less centered under the O of One, and one with D not repunched but a bit to the left of the bottom of the O of One. This one has a faint die gouge to the right of the D.

So, I ask again: Was not the repunched D of the original release supposed to be an identifying characteristic that would identify Carr's strikings as a "so-called fantasy" issue to future generations?

How are people supposed to know that the apparently normal coins without the die characteristic are not genuine Denver Mint coins?

TD

Edited to add:

From Carr's website:

"The pictures accurately show what the coins look like. No photo editing was performed. There may be subtle differences between coins. Since they are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the overstrike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike. A die gouge to the right of the "D" mint mark provides a marker for future identification as to the source. Also note the fourth extra ray below "ONE", as seen on the original 1921 issue and on some of the 1935-S issue. Do not attempt to use these as legal tender. This product is NOT endorsed or approved by the US Mint, US Treasury, or US Government."

(This is Die Pair 6--TD)

Edited later to add:

From a posting by Mr. Carr on P. 18 of that fast thread that got locked:

Wednesday September 15, 2010 2:20 PM

<< So if no 1964 Peace dollars exists - how did you know what die alterations and markers to make to prevent it from looking like the real deal? >>

Here is the marker on mine (multi-punched mint mark). The probablilty that an original surviving 1964-D Peace dollar (if any) would have this marker is nil:"

(Followed by a closeup picture of the D/D east-west die that is now designated in the blog as part of die pairs 4&5--TD)

Edited still later to add:

From a posting by Mr. Carr on P. 44 of that locked thread:

" I don't know how the potential market value of a hypothetical (as far as we know) orignal 1964-D Peace dollar would be affected by this fantasy issue. But, as stated before, I did intentionally put a definite marker on mine (multi-punched mint mark). So there would be a way to differentiate one from the other (in the unlikely event the other exists). "

(This is the reverse used on die pairs 4&5--TD)
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

and the odd thing was that the finish was not cited by him as a diagnostic.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How are people supposed to know that the apparently normal coins without the die characteristic are not genuine Denver Mint coins? >>

The fact that no coins with this date/mintmark exists according to the U.S. Mint may give them a clue.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>The fact that no coins with this date/mintmark exists according to the U.S. Mint may give them a clue. >>

Do you suppose there's a possibility that the U.S. Mint might sometimes be wrong about something? Or are they, in fact, infallible?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact that no coins with this date/mintmark exists according to the U.S. Mint may give them a clue. >>

Do you suppose there's a possibility that the U.S. Mint might sometimes be wrong about something? Or are they, in fact, infallible? >>

Until one surfaces, I have no reason to doubt the mint's word.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Do you suppose there's a possibility that the U.S. Mint might sometimes be wrong about something? Or are they, in fact, infallible? >>

Until one surfaces, I have no reason to doubt the mint's word. >>

Didn't you recently post in one of these threads, something to the effect that you wouldn't be surprised if some were in private hands?

Edited tio add, yes: <<.......It wouldn't surprise me if a few real 1964-D Peace dollars are in private hands....>>
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Didn't you recently post in one of these threads, something to the effect that you wouldn't be surprised if some were in private hands? >>

If they surfaced the mint would confiscate them and destroy them.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Didn't you recently post in one of these threads, something to the effect that you wouldn't be surprised if some were in private hands? >>

If they surfaced the mint would confiscate them and destroy them. >>

That doesn't address the issue of whether the government might be wrong or whether you have reason to doubt their word.. And I'm glad that I was able to answer my own question, since you didn't do so.

<<Didn't you recently post in one of these threads, something to the effect that you wouldn't be surprised if some were in private hands?>>

<<Edited tio add, yes: <<.......It wouldn't surprise me if a few real 1964-D Peace dollars are in private hands....>> >>

• Options
    "Not true. Read the blog."

i have not read the blog and apparently I should .......

The last I was told , all of the potential 2000 coins , starting with 222, would all be struck from the same pair of dies unless there was a die failure .

his blog must say that has changed ........
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That doesn't address the issue of whether the government might be wrong or whether you have reason to doubt their word.. And I'm glad that I was able to answer my own question, since you didn't do so.

<<Didn't you recently post in one of these threads, something to the effect that you wouldn't be surprised if some were in private hands?>>

<<Edited tio add, yes: <<.......It wouldn't surprise me if a few real 1964-D Peace dollars are in private hands....>> >> >>

Is the possible existence of a few stray examples really relevant as long as the official position of the U.S. government is that none exists?

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is the possible existence of a few stray examples really relevant as long as the official position of the U.S. government is that none exists? >>

This makes no sense whatsoever.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<<Edited tio add, yes: <<.......It wouldn't surprise me if a few real 1964-D Peace dollars are in private hands....>> >> >>

Is the possible existence of a few stray examples really relevant as long as the official position of the U.S. government is that none exists? >>

I believe it's relevant. And that, whether they are aware of it or not, the government's official position might very well be incorrect. I'm sure some will agree and others will disagree with that.

Either way, you have posted "I have no reason to doubt the mint's word" but also "It wouldn't surprise me if a few real 1964-D Peace dollars are in private hands".
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Not true. Read the blog.

CarrBlogLink

Four different reverse dies used. One with D repunched north-south, one with D repunched east-west, one with D not repunched and more or less centered under the O of One, and one with D not repunched but a bit to the left of the bottom of the O of One. This one has a faint die gouge to the right of the D.

So, I ask again: Was not the repunched D of the original release supposed to be an identifying characteristic that would identify Carr's strikings as a "so-called fantasy" issue to future generations?

How are people supposed to know that the apparently normal coins without the die characteristic are not genuine Denver Mint coins?

TD

Edited to add:

From Carr's website:

"The pictures accurately show what the coins look like. No photo editing was performed. There may be subtle differences between coins. Since they are over-struck on existing coins, there may be faint evidence of the original coin design showing since the overstrike is usually not perfectly aligned with the original strike. A die gouge to the right of the "D" mint mark provides a marker for future identification as to the source. Also note the fourth extra ray below "ONE", as seen on the original 1921 issue and on some of the 1935-S issue. Do not attempt to use these as legal tender. This product is NOT endorsed or approved by the US Mint, US Treasury, or US Government."

Edited to add:

<< So if no 1964 Peace dollars exists - how did you know what die alterations and markers to make to prevent it from looking like the real deal? >>

Here is the marker on mine (multi-punched mint mark). The probablilty that an original surviving 1964-D Peace dollar (if any) would have this marker is nil:"

(Followed by a closeup picture of the D/D east-west die that is now designated in the blog as part of die pairs 4&5) >>

It seems pretty clear that his new diagnostic is listed there to reflect his current offerings with the new die pairing. His earlier comments likely were issued when he thought he had reached the limit of his die pairings for the overall minting, but since he created a new reverse die, he needed a new die marker, thus the gouge.
  • Options

<< <i>Is the possible existence of a few stray examples really relevant as long as the official position of the U.S. government is that none exists? >>

The official government position a short time after striking the coins (according to Eva Adams, Director of the Mint) was that "all produced coins were accounted for and melted . . . None was preserved!”

But then, there's documented evidence that at least two 1964 dollars survived until 1970. According to Mint records, 28 of the 30 trial strikes were melted immediately -- but the other two were sent to Washington for optical, physical and spectrographic examination and remained there, in a Treasury vault, until the spring of 1970. At that time, the records show, they were melted. Four members of a destruction committee signed affidavits attesting to this.

So- who are you going to believe- the mint or the mint? image

• Options
    great - now I gotta' order one of the new die pair #6 coins .........image
  • Options
    In addition to the mint mark identifiers (RPD / die gouge), Mr Carr also added an additional ray to the reverse design. A small fourth ray underneath "ONE" at the tip of the tailfeathers.
  • Options

<< <i>In addition to the mint mark identifiers (RPD / die gouge), Mr Carr also added an additional ray to the reverse design. A small fourth ray underneath "ONE" at the tip of the tailfeathers.[/q

Cool, I did not notice the 4th ray until you pointed it out. Another marker to insure the uninformed coin collector does not spend 100,000 to buy what he thinks is the only 1964 peace dollar, stolen from the mint in the cover of darkness and hidden away in LBJ's SDB until offered to the lucky soul by LBJ's fifth cousin twice removed. image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    <<

<< I thought that the "repunched mint mark" of Die Pair #1 was supposed to be die characteristic that would tell future generations that these were not genuine Denver Mint products.

TD >>

Not true. Read the blog.

CarrBlogLink

TD

Edited to add:

From Carr's website:

(This is Die Pair 6--TD)

Edited later to add:

(Followed by a closeup picture of the D/D east-west die that is now designated in the blog as part of die pairs 4&5--TD)

" I don't know how the potential market value of a hypothetical (as far as we know) orignal 1964-D Peace dollar would be affected by this fantasy issue. But, as stated before, I did intentionally put a definite marker on mine (multi-punched mint mark). So there would be a way to differentiate one from the other (in the unlikely event the other exists). "

(This is the reverse used on die pairs 4&5--TD)

Just an observation: There seem to be more variations on the counterfeit die story than on the real thing!
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    It would be cool if he stamped them as copies as required by the Hobby Protection Act.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well stamp them after I get mine....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Given today's environment, I just do not think that this would happen. Again, referring back to how the government handled the 1933 Saint's confiscated in the 40's and 50's (destroyed) vs how they handled them in 2006 (displayed). Or, were they really destroyed?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the copper strike with Denver centennial reverse is very cool....
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>Well stamp them after I get mine.... >>

A great example of why they say "The Greatest Generation" will soon be gone forever.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

A great example of why they say "The Greatest Generation" will soon be gone forever. >>

Seems a bit harsh. When I see all those "greatest generation" folks bragging on a tv commercial about how their fancy motorized scooter chairs cost them nothing (I suppose after taxpayer subsidies) then I wonder if that label is a bit overblown.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    When I see all those "greatest generation" folks bragging on a tv commercial about how their fancy motorized scooter chairs cost them nothing (I suppose after taxpayer subsidies) then I wonder if that label is a bit overblown.

That's your argument??? No offense, but the "greatest generation" has earned their title. They don't sell scooter chairs, they are just the target market of this new tool. They do deserve them if they are in need. Seems today's generation deserves everything free!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

A great example of why they say "The Greatest Generation" will soon be gone forever. >>

Seems a bit harsh. When I see all those "greatest generation" folks bragging on a tv commercial about how their fancy motorized scooter chairs cost them nothing (I suppose after taxpayer subsidies) then I wonder if that label is a bit overblown. >>

Be thoughtful now.
    Wouldn't want the younger generation thinking euthanasia of all seniors is the way to balance the budget around that time you get that AARP mailer.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but that generation also taught me to hold the door open for a woman, not to curse when people walk past you, and to put money in that red bucket EVERY time you walk past it if you can.
    They will have my respect till the day I check out.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems a bit harsh. When I see all those "greatest generation" folks bragging on a tv commercial about how their fancy motorized scooter chairs cost them nothing (I suppose after taxpayer subsidies) then I wonder if that label is a bit overblown. >>

Be thoughtful now.
    Wouldn't want the younger generation thinking euthanasia of all seniors is the way to balance the budget around that time you get that AARP mailer.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but that generation also taught me to hold the door open for a woman, not to curse when people walk past you, and to put money in that red bucket EVERY time you walk past it if you can.
    They will have my respect till the day I check out. >>

You may want to consider how respect is earned. Your comment to the other member will garner you none.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    todays youthful generation spends most of their time on the computer , watching television, playing video games , texting on their cell phones, etc.

Most are overweight, borderline diabetic, out of shape,processed food eating , self centered, spoiled , irresponsible , spiritual depraved , new generations ..........

doomed to a future of co-dependent, lowly educated , jobless citizenship
  • Options

<< <i>todays youthful generation spends most of their time on the computer , watching television, playing video games , texting on their cell phones, etc.

Most are overweight, borderline diabetic, out of shape,processed food eating , self centered, spoiled , irresponsible , spiritual depraved , new generations ..........

doomed to a future of co-dependent, lowly educated , jobless citizenship >>

Well said PawPaul!!! image
    Now ecichlid, you seem to have a few screws loose....no respect for you!
    JRocco was dead on......do you even understand how respect is earned??....I seriously doubt it!!!
  • Options
    Sorry I derailed your thread Goldbully.
    I have spent too many years of my life teaching my children not to take what another man owns or has earned....
    or saying something like " make them illegal after I get mine".
    Next time I will try to refrain.
    I owe you one Goldbully for derailing this thread.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!!! Die 6! image

imageimage
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>todays youthful generation spends most of their time on the computer , watching television, playing video games , texting on their cell phones, etc.

doomed to a future of co-dependent, lowly educated , jobless citizenship >>

Well said PawPaul!!! image
    Now ecichlid, you seem to have a few screws loose....no respect for you!
    JRocco was dead on......do you even understand how respect is earned??....I seriously doubt it!!! >>

Blah blah balh balh. Senseless babble from someone who believes what the talking heads tell him. PawPaul and you need to feed the pigeons and discuss the problems of youth.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!!! Die 6! image >>

I can see the die gouge from here.
  • Options

<< <i>

I can see the die gouge from here. >>

Nicks on the slab. Better get a new pair of eyes amigo.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nicks on the slab. Better get a new pair of eyes amigo. >>

I don't know if you are joking, but I can see the gouge to the right of the D.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nicks on the slab. Better get a new pair of eyes amigo. >>

I don't know if you are joking, but I can see the gouge to the right of the D. >>

Come'on, are you drunk? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Not true. Read the blog.

CarrBlogLink

TD

Edited to add:

From Carr's website:

(This is Die Pair 6--TD)

Edited later to add:

(This is the reverse used on die pairs 4&5--TD) >>

Let me ask again, please. How significant is it that Carr said he was using a repunched mint mark on his reverse die to diferentiate his strikes from a hypothetical original Denver Mint 1965 product, and then a few weeks later began selling strikes from a different reverse die without a repunched mint mark?

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file