Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about a guess the grade etc for a Saturday night, comments welcomed!Bigger pics added both of ob

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh that's a nice dime!

On so many seated coins, her nose is huge, her face goofy, her hair funny

I like everything about this piece, the shape of the numerals in the date, the way the hat hangs on the pole, the detail in the wreath, just a tiny bit of weakness in the central reverse.

No wear, nice surfaces, I'm diggin this at MS64

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin MS63+
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    65+
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    65 seems good
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure I like the mark on the breast, but the coin's a dime and I probably couldn't even see it in-hand, and if it doesn't have that hit it's probably 2x the price.

The only reason I would hesitate is the legs. There appears to be either uneven toning or a bit of high-point rub. Too hard to tell from photos which it is, but it was the one thing that my eyes were drawn to and which raised some questions in my mind as to what the grade was.

All that said, I like the look of the coin.

Have I seen pics of it before, Alan?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 hits that stand out on the obverse, so I will go with 63.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade that one not a Nasty Bitsh! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64 looks about right to my old tired eyes!

Nice and purty.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn nice! 65 at least I hopeimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    it looks 65 to me. is there any luster? it looks like my photos where a coin has luster but it does not show up in the photos.!!??
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice coin but its the more common T1 reverse Al.image MS65
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ms 64
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    MS62 and very nice.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 and I likee..................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 64
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I grade that one not a Nasty Bitsh! image >>

I looked for that thread this morning. I guess it was poofed!!image
    I would grade the dime MS65. Shag
  • Options
    I don't understand any grade guesses below MS64, and I will feel the same way, regardless of what it turns out the coin graded.

We are viewing large images, and there are very few marks to be seen. To the poster who graded it MS63, due to three obverse "hits" that "stand out" to him - those are not nearly significant enough to punish the grade so severely, and the mark in the right obverse field even looks to be mint-made.

Strike should not be an issue, and while the luster doesn't appear to be bright, it doesn't appear subdued enough to penalize the coin much, at all. The coin also has nice color and eye-appeal. For purposes of discussion, what are you below-MS64 guys seeing and thinking?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many interesting responses, and most here were pretty close and right on, can't fool the majority one iotta!
    It resides in a PCGS ogh (not the rattler thought) as an MS65!

Interesting little tale of how i got this one. You know how ebay sellers oft say, "from an ole time collection blah blah bla". Well I am standing in my local B&M schmoozing with the dealer/owner and my good friend (yes I have dealers that are good friends:Funnyimage and an older gent comes in with a box full o coins. He expalins to the dealer that he is visiting family from N California and has discovered that unfortunately his family has no interest in his coin collection, that he finally wants to then sell it while he is still young enough to enjoy the proceeds....basically screw the youngins if they don't get it. He is standing right next to me at the counter all2 inches from me and opens the pandora's box, in it are approx 20 classic coins in pcgs oghs, as you can imagine I am straining my eyes to see what is going on. My buddy the dealer whips out the blue sheet and writes him a check in less than 10 seconds for the whole kit and kaboodle, ole gent walks out. Next minute I ask my buddy to slide the box over to me and with trembling hands I pull out half of them and my buddy pulls out the grey sheet and $14k later I am driving home with gorgeous original beautifully naturally toned coins to add to my collection, and this here is one of them. Nothing exceedingly rare just nice wholesome pieces. Thanks for the game played.! >>

nice!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>Many interesting responses, and most here were pretty close and right on, can't fool the majority one iotta!

Interesting little tale of how i got this one. You know how ebay sellers oft say, "from an ole time collection blah blah bla". Well I am standing in my local B&M schmoozing with the dealer/owner and my good friend (yes I have dealers that are good friends:Funnyimage and an older gent comes in with a box full o coins. He expalins to the dealer that he is visiting family from N California and has discovered that unfortunately his family has no interest in his coin collection, that he finally wants to then sell it while he is still young enough to enjoy the proceeds....basically screw the youngins if they don't get it. He is standing right next to me at the counter all2 inches from me and opens the pandora's box, in it are approx 20 classic coins in pcgs oghs, as you can imagine I am straining my eyes to see what is going on. My buddy the dealer whips out the blue sheet and writes him a check in less than 10 seconds for the whole kit and kaboodle, ole gent walks out. Next minute I ask my buddy to slide the box over to me and with trembling hands I pull out half of them and my buddy pulls out the grey sheet and $14k later I am driving home with gorgeous original beautifully naturally toned coins to add to my collection, and this here is one of them. Nothing exceedingly rare just nice wholesome pieces. Thanks for the game played.! >>

Alan, did your dealer friend pay only Bluesheet for the coins?
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A really nice looking dime, love the subtle toning on the obverse. Mark, I am trying to learn here: what makes you think the mark in the right obverse filed is mint-made, and would the same apply to the mark on the breast?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Alan, did your dealer friend pay only Bluesheet for the coins? >>

Wow, I was thinking the same thing! Bluesheet?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>A really nice looking dime, love the subtle toning on the obverse. Mark, I am trying to learn here: what makes you think the mark in the right obverse filed is mint-made, and would the same apply to the mark on the breast? >>

I can't tell for certain from the image, but, partly due to its shape, the one in the right obverse field has the look of a a shallow mint-made depression - I see such flaws on occasion. Due to its placement, I doubt that the one on the breast falls into that category. Perhaps Realone can let us know what he thinks?image
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Great story! What else was in there?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file