Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which 10 rarities would you rather own? KNOWN or YET to be discovered?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
Would you want the 10 greatest KNOWN rarities (1804 Bust dollar, 33 Saint, 13 Nickel etc)?

Or the 10 greatest rarities YET to be discovered? (unknown to the coin community but perhaps sitting in a box somewhere)
Unknown date and MM combos, a rare coin but in a super high grade, unknow die marriage, unknown pattern etc
The coin exists somewhere on earth we just are not aware of it yet

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Among the big name rarities, the one I'd really like to own would be the King of Siam Proof set, which includes an "original" 1804 dollar. Most of the others don't do much for me. There are some other more common coins I would prefer to have like a 1796 No Stars Quarter eagle and Pan-Pac octagonal $50 gold.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty happy owning an HT-265 3 cent Feuchtwanger.

With six known......image

(and its already a done deed and I dont have to dream about it)
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting question.

I'm torn because 1) I don't care for the 1804 Dollar, 33 Saint, or 1913 Liberty Nickel; and 2) I recognize that the 1804 Dollar, 33 Saint, or 1913 Liberty Nickel are established rarities which I could expect to sell for a LOT of money; and 3) the rarities yet to be discovered may not be liquid or lucrative.

Can I pick the 10 rarities yet to be discovered? Maybe another Gloucester Shilling or Myddelton Token in Gold or an undescovered variety of Higley Copper or Fugio Copper.

Either way, I'll choose the 10 greatest rarities yet to be discovered and live with my results. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of those.
    I would rather own a 1793 half cent (in nice, problem-free, condition). Maybe a 1793 large cent as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather own accidental rarities than manufactured ones.

1854-S $5
    1854-S $2.50
    1870-CC $20
    1854-O and 1856-O $20

you get the idea
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I also would prefer a really nice example of the 1790s coinage to the 'rarities' that have 4-20 pieces.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sac/Quarter Mule
  • the not yet discovered gem red full luster chain cent and I find it in a junk box at a swap meet.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I like the 1870-S coinage - I think a complete set of all 1870-S coins would be a phenominal challenge and be one helluva set.

As for an undiscovered coin, the 1873-S seated dollar. However, documentation from June 13, 1873 was found saying all coins struck were to be melted and recoined as the new trade dollar. Perhaps one was spilled onto the floor or the assay coin (badly damaged) still exists?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I would go for the unknown myself. An undiscovered Overton variety, a MS67 DDO 1969-S Lincoln, A long lost mint set of Gem CBH including some Platinum trail pieces.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Top 10 already known would be more than adequate for me.

Any one of them, in fact.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who could afford the great known rarities are probably going to
    pick them. To a large degree it's not nearly so much being a rarity that
    makes a coin rare as being in widespread demand; being known. For me
    it simply must be unknown and not in demand rarities since these are av-
    ailable for a song which is the uppere end of my price range. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind owning the 6th known 1913 Liberty Nickel, but would prefer a 1931 Standing Liberty Quarter.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    like Bill said, King of Siam set, rest I can do without

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • raysrays Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want this AU58 S-1 chain cent.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    1842 Small Date quarter would be very high on my list.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • 1876 s DDO Trade dollar is at the top of my list.
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I want to be the one who "discovers" an uncirculated Strawberry Leaf large cent. It's got to be sitting in a drawer somewhere in New England.
  • at my age, Known.

I'd like to hold 'em in my hand once before I croak.

Besides, that proven track record of appreciation is rather comforting.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    What, nobody has mentioned the uber rare 1964-d Peace Dollar? Oops, David Carr took care of that "rarity".image
    Paul
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin every time: 1792 Silver Disme Specimen-64 or better.

I owned the 2nd best 10 years ago. Parmelee example: VF-20 with scratches pedigreed to its Parmelee appearance. No one I know has seen or heard about the best one for over 50 years.

Could that one be what I'm looking for? Will I know in my lifetime?

Will Sir Galahad search on?

Is the intent of the thread to choose between all of what's currently known and all that's not yet known to exist?

If not yet known to exist, then is it individual examples (like another 1804 S$1) or whole new issues or varieties? 1965 (90% Kennedy 50c)?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to own an 1834 Quarter Eagle.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the current 10 rarities......sell them........buy dimes!!!
  • I would pick the group that has more year/mintmark combination rarity and leave the error/die variety rarity coins for someone else.
    Looking for Northern California National Bank Notes, Chico, Redding, Oroville.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Bidding on and winning unclaimed property in a safety deposit box in the Pennsylvania state auction. It was simply listed as various US denomination coins.

Receiving the contents, there were an assortment of dimes, quarters and half dollars. Sorting out the contents, a 1964 Franklin half dollar was discovered mixed in with the others.

To bad I cannot shout out to the world my discovery.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter. Full head as well image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 1870-S coinage - I think a complete set of all 1870-S coins would be a phenominal challenge and be one helluva set.

As for an undiscovered coin, the 1873-S seated dollar. However, documentation from June 13, 1873 was found saying all coins struck were to be melted and recoined as the new trade dollar. Perhaps one was spilled onto the floor or the assay coin (badly damaged) still exists? >>

Well, I know a board member who could make one for you...it would be a "fantasy piece", since they were all melted, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What, nobody has mentioned the uber rare 1964-d Peace Dollar? Oops, David Carr took care of that "rarity".image >>

No, that was his brother Dan.

I am with Dimeman -- if I owned any of these, the known or unknown rarities, I would sell them and buy some stuff I really liked.
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

You're at coin show. Someone walks up too your table with a roll of frosty Gem MS65 absolutely non-proof 1895-P dollars. What do you offer him? Could happen you know...mintage listed at 12,000 pieces but none ever seen.

Trick question of course since if he had a roll of 20 coins, he might have more.

hrh

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're at coin show. Someone walks up too your table with a roll of frosty Gem MS65 absolutely non-proof 1895-P dollars. What do you offer him? Could happen you know...mintage listed at 12,000 pieces but none ever seen.

Trick question of course since if he had a roll of 20 coins, he might have more.

hrh >>

At current exchange rates, I'm thinking about 250 Yuan would be a good starting offer.
  • There are only three unknowns that I really want:

1. 1898-O Micro O Barber Half (a REAL one this time)
    2. 1892-S Micro S Barber Half
    3. 1873-S No Arrows Seated Half

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file