Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to guess when the first "rainbow toned" Carr fantasy 1964D Peace Dollar will s

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
Be the first one to own a beautifully toned, fully original fantasy 1964D Peace Dollarimage

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    perfectly acceptable (so long as it's stamped 'ARTIFICIALLY TONED')

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What setting do I need for the oven?

NOT!!!!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Can the coin not naturally tone and still be rainbow toned? Let's say the first one appears on ebay in the year 2128 A.D. and it was stored in an album containing sulfur?
    Tom

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id give it another week or so, maybe
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a $20 trade dollar from 2007 wrapped in the taco bell napkin and mellow straw tints have begun to appear.
  • Options
    don't know ......but I have not gotten mine yet , was ordered on the 15th
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>don't know ......but I have not gotten mine yet , was ordered on the 15th >>

Got Mine yesterday. I have to image it. It's a $110 coin. And it's damn near MS-70, which makes it the best value for the buck in the series. image

Fact is, I've bought alot of MS-60-ish plus Morgan and Peace dollar coins. A hundred dollar coin regardless of original or fantasy in this series, I would'nt screw with. Gimme an $18-dollar "bullion" version like a '22 I might experiment with. Given that, Peace $1s do not lend themselves to toning experiments as few are known to be NT.

Now that's my "serious" response to a tongue-in-cheek "Diss" of the '64-D DCarr piece.

Wait until your's arrives?image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    I am surprised this thread has not been locked or deleted yet as the title has Carr and 1964 in it. I was following a Carr thread yesterday that did not have any posts fighting about the legality of the coin or if it should be marked copy. A moderator had even posted in the thread that the thread could continue as long as it did not become tiresome or suck up to much space/bandwidth. Anyway, I posted a question to D Carr about the second run of the coins, checked back an hour later to see if he replied and the entire thread was deleted. Not locked but gone. Too bad at least one thread about the 1964 Carr is not allowed to exist as I think that the coin is one of the most interesting and discussion provoking coins that have been struck in the past few years.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    +1
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    +2 timber -- maybe it's a personal thing?
  • Options
    I think different mod's have different views , and there probably about fed up with the plethora of 1964-D threads
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised this thread has not been locked or deleted yet as the title has Carr and 1964 in it. I was following a Carr thread yesterday that did not have any posts fighting about the legality of the coin or if it should be marked copy. A moderator had even posted in the thread that the thread could continue as long as it did not become tiresome or suck up to much space/bandwidth. Anyway, I posted a question to D Carr about the second run of the coins, checked back an hour later to see if he replied and the entire thread was deleted. Not locked but gone. Too bad at least one thread about the 1964 Carr is not allowed to exist as I think that the coin is one of the most interesting and discussion provoking coins that have been struck in the past few years. >>

I posted on that thread as well only to find it was gone....i thought this was the US Coin forum, Daniel's coin was minted in the US wasn't it?image
    figglehorn
  • Options

<< <i>I am surprised this thread has not been locked or deleted yet as the title has Carr and 1964 in it. I was following a Carr thread yesterday that did not have any posts fighting about the legality of the coin or if it should be marked copy. A moderator had even posted in the thread that the thread could continue as long as it did not become tiresome or suck up to much space/bandwidth. Anyway, I posted a question to D Carr about the second run of the coins, checked back an hour later to see if he replied and the entire thread was deleted. Not locked but gone. Too bad at least one thread about the 1964 Carr is not allowed to exist as I think that the coin is one of the most interesting and discussion provoking coins that have been struck in the past few years. >>

image Yeah, what's up with that? Evidently we can discuss just about anything else, but these seem to really touch a nerve somewhere.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this means PCGS won't be slabbing these coins.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Doesn't look like these guys will be slabing them either:

"Sorry,

We are not grading Mr. Carr's coin at this time.

Paul A. DeFelice
    Vice President, Client Services and Marketing
    ANACS
    303-339-3400"
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it used to say on the sign outside a fried chicken joint in the 1950s.

COOKN' NOW image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a $20 trade dollar from 2007 wrapped in the taco bell napkin and mellow straw tints have begun to appear. >>

It's probably taco sauce
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough one to answer. I do know one thing, it doesn't take very long! This is a 2009 eagle my wife bought me just as soon as it was released. She put this coin in some tissue paper because she didn't want it to get damaged, and then forgot to give it to me and it sat in this tissue paper for about nine months. So as you can see this piece has really taken on some color. If your interested in what kind of tissue paper was used, I'll tell ya, it the tissue that Macy's uses for wrapping shirts, stuff like that, it's the light brown thin tissue paper. At any rate, it sure doesn't take very long....

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    groovee baybee!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

Are you going to be selling any toned ones?
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>image >>

HEY! I didn't see THAT in the online catalog. WHAT UPPPP????
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Daniel, is that your creation, or did a 'shake 'n baker' do this already?????
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    >>> HEY! I didn't see THAT in the online catalog. WHAT UPPPP????

>>> Daniel, is that your creation, or did a 'shake 'n baker' do this already?????

I did it (blowtorch), for fun. I do not intend to sell them this way. Most of the time,
    they would come out bad. And no two would be alike, so I'd have to take a picture
    of each one (not practical).
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>>>> HEY! I didn't see THAT in the online catalog. WHAT UPPPP????

>>> Daniel, is that your creation, or did a 'shake 'n baker' do this already?????

I did it (blowtorch), for fun. I do not intend to sell them this way. Most of the time,
    they would come out bad. And no two would be alike, so I'd have to take a picture
    of each one (not practical). >>

Can I have that one??? image
  • Options
    the D.Carr Peace Dollar controversy will seemingly never end ........... lets get them all to the top until everyone has has their fill and are plumb sick of the issue
  • Options
    Here it is, how it was done?

ebay link

Sorry, repeat post, just found the other link, my bad , my search with Carr + tone did not show the threads
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda obvious then that restriking activates the surface and thus promotes toning. What is so hard to unnerstan bout dat?
  • Options

<< <i>It's kinda obvious then that restriking activates the surface and thus promotes toning. What is so hard to unnerstan bout dat? >>

Actually, the way I process the coins, they are much less likely to tone on their own than regular Peace dollars.
    The coin in question received some assistance in toning (no, I didn't do it).

• Options
    Technically it's not altered surfaces if the mint itself does it, otherwise the sandblasted proof gold of the 1900s would all be AT. So, that's an original Specimen or Pattern!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file