Home U.S. Coin Forum

1939 Jefferson Rev38 and Rev40 Populations

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
It's time for an update since this posted back on September 2010.

1939 MS67FS
R38s are now at 12 with 1+
R40s are at 31 with a recent addition od an MS68FS (I saw this one and NOT!)

1939 MS66FS
R38s are at 103
R40s are at 532 with 6+

I think we have only verified 1 MS67FS R38 coin that is shown on CoinFacts. I'm even more convinced that the owners of the remaining 10 or more R38 coins now are trying to find any available REAL R38 coin before they correct the error they have in their sets! My offer still stands...I'll buy any R38 coins you have at PCGS Prices: MS65FS - $140, MS66FS - $300, MS67FS - $800 (Oh yes on this one, the prices are dropping! I'll pay $850!)

Hey whoever you are, you may as well bite the bullet now before the prices of the R40s keep dropping!
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Let me provide a little history around the 1939 Rev38s.

Let me take you back to the early days of grading Jefferson Nickels. I’ve been able to build a timeline of numerous PCGS Population Reports back to July 1998, right about the time the ‘full step’ designation began. Let's just focus on MS67FS pops. From July 1998 through July 2002, PCGS graded 16 1939’s (#84003) as MS67FS. Then between July 2002 and July 2003, PCGS began attributing coins as having Rev38 steps. All of the 16 previously graded coins remained with the PCGS #84003, which became the Rev38 attributed coins. This is where everything went wrong! Given the fact that PCGS would not grade 1938's with their wavy steps tells me all of these previously FS graded coins were Rev40's.

With this information and the fact that I have never seen a true MS67FS Rev38 coin properly designated, I'm 100% certain all these 14 remaining MS67FS coins are truly Rev40’s. The collectors who own these coins should turn them back in for re-attribution, but we know they have not. We did see a couple of collectors "do the right thing". We started with 16 back in July 2002 and as of June 2007 (which is a heck of a long time!) are down to the current population of 14. I can list three Top Jefferson Sets that have an incorrect 1939 Rev38 (#84003) coin in their respective sets. Think about it, NO new 1939 MS67FS Rev38 coins since 2002!

PCGS needs to help push those collectors to get the Pops correct! I would wager there are no MS67FS Rev38's out there, which supports Naggengast's estimates the 1939 MS FS Rev38 coins are truely a rarity.

On the MS66FS Populations, there were 94 MS66FS back in July 2002 that made the same move into the Rev38 designation and now there are only 107. The MS66FS Rev40 Population went from 35 in July 2003 to 223 as of February 2010. Interesting eh!

Prove me wrong and post a picture of an MS67FS Rev38 coin!

Just my thoughts

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great research.....do you have pics or can you steer me to where I can see the differences? My old editions of CherryPickers' only talks about the Proof rev.....and all it says it the the 1939's with the Rev of '38 can be identified by the 'wavy, ill-defined steps'.....if that is one of the attributes of the die (if they used the same one they struck Proofs with), wouldn't that by necessity be difficult to have examples of this variety with the FS designation?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh, a fishin' post.

But seriously, I agree with your summary of the rev. of 38 situation. PCGS could have helped themselves by dealing with this issue early on. There are at least two
    Lincoln varieties that are being misattributed at this time, and my concerns have fallen on deaf ears. Shag
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great research.....do you have pics or can you steer me to where I can see the differences? My old editions of CherryPickers' only talks about the Proof rev.....and all it says it the the 1939's with the Rev of '38 can be identified by the 'wavy, ill-defined steps'.....if that is one of the attributes of the die (if they used the same one they struck Proofs with), wouldn't that by necessity be difficult to have examples of this variety with the FS designation? >>

And here's an excellent definition of the "Reverse of 1938" steps.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submitted an attractive 39 rev of 38 to PCGS about two years ago- came back 65 FS- these are rare and I doubt more than a hand full exist

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Walkerguy21D,

I don't think the business strike wavy steps were a function of the Mint using Proof dies, it was just a design modification that occurred during 1939. The new Rev40 dies were introduced during the production runs that year, thus producing both Rev38 and Rev40 coins. The Cherry Pickers proof 1939 and 1940 pictures give you good examples of the two step designs. Leo provided some nice pictures as well.

Dowgie
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when these were first published in Coin World back in the 70's. An easy way to tell the Rev. of '38 from the Rev. of '40 is that on the Rev. of '38, the ends of the steps just merge into the solid railings on either sides of the steps. On the Rev. of '40, there is a clear vertical depressed line separating the ends of the steps from the railings.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Ok, if no one has an MS67FS Rev40 in the wrong holder, post a MS66FS Rev40 in one. There must be about 94 of these!!
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Just sent a 39 rev. of 38 with full steps in to Ncs today. Its got an ugly spot on it, so hopefully it can be saved.
    What's so interesting about these mislabeled or misguided coins, there are a number of collectors who know who has them. And a great deal of time has lapsed since these discoveries were made and a few of those collectors who have them have done little to correct the status of their collections. Why anyone can think they can keep these coins as they are and use them to pad their grade point averages and their standings in the registry is beyond me. Where's the integrity and fair play in these people? This is no different than someone who AT coins and sells them. If the coin does not have the "Reverse of 1938" steps but the label says it does, what more is there to it? The coin needs regraded and properly designated. It's that simple!
    But wait.........there is more to it and I think everyone needs to open up here and give their explanations as to why they haven't corrected these coins.
    The very first thing that I would be worried about is whether I'll get compensated fully if the coin downgrades or receives the correct label. The amount I paid for the coin when it was labeled one way, what will it sell for when the label changes to the lesser valued "Reverse of 1940" steps. Does the price guide show a $3000 difference in value between the two types.
    What other problems are there with correcting this label? Anyone?

Leo

• I think you are mistaken on the label being wrong

but probably are correct on the populations being off due to being grandfathered in

the price guide could be off - but they go from sales - if they don't come up, the lower scored will increase in value
    causing people to look for more and when they can't find any, the price will go up even more

the biggest difference I use to pick up 38 or 40 reverse is on the sides of the steps
    the 40 rev has perpendicular lines (at the right end and left end of the steps) from the top of the steps to the ground
    while the 38 rev, the step ends blend into the solid part

of course you need to have some steps to determine if this line is there or not - but usually there is

Leos good pics show this on the sides - the 38 rev on top and the 40 rev on bottom
    And what's a thread without pictures. Not exactly what's being discussed but I bought this coin raw years ago for $425 and ANACS, the only TGS in the game at that time, certified it MS66 5 Steps. This coin has not toned in anyway.

Leo

Leo,

Nice nickel and don't let that one go!

It's pretty obvious to me that collectors should be turning in the incorrectly attributed MS67 (and all other grades) Rev38's . You are probably righ on speculating that those collectors are holding them in that Rev38 slot until some miracle happens and they obtain and equally graded or better real Rev38.

The current MS67FS pops and price guide for Rev38 (14 @ $2,000) and Rev40 (18 @ 1,900). It's all about dollars and not doing the right thing! For the MS67FS coins that get turned in early enough get a even exchange (no dollars from PCGS) and leave this hole in their collections and would have to go out a buy a real one, if available and at rising prices. If collectors started to turn them in, the longer you waited, the price of the Rev40's start to drop and PCGS should start paying some price differences. But they still would have to replace the Rev38 coin somehow.

The numbers for MS66FS Rev38 (107 @ $450) and Rev40 (482 @ $115). A similar situation here as well, except PCGS should be paying differences. But again, the slot needs to be filled.

If PCGS would step in and fix the ones we know are wrong, this might get the ball rolling? Let me ask you this: would you have a 1953-D MS65FS incorrectly labled as a 1953-S MS65FS in your collection?

Leo, hold on to that awesome correctly attributed beauty. There are very few of these out there. Someday, it will garnish the right respect!
    Mike,

By any stretch, it's definitely hard for those folks to be humble.

But anyway, here's another hard fact. Here are the steps to my coin. The two areas circled under the 1st and 3rd pillars are the most problematic when locating a FS example for 1938PDS and the "Reverse of 1938" dates 1939PDS. Separation in those areas has long been one of the most intensive searches by FS Jefferson nickel collectors throughout the years. Maybe not so under the 1st pillar but the 3rd, that's the stopper. And it also helps to have a strong quarter 6th step. A complete strike includes a good definition of the "Reverse of 1938" steps. By definition, the most steps these coins can have that include the riser and tread is 4+. The first picture appears to show 5 or close to 5, depends how one looks at the steps, but the 2nd picture certainly paints another....picture.

Leo

The current MS67FS pops and price guide for Rev38 (14 @ $2,000) and Rev40 (18 @ 1,900).

Looks like if anyone has an incorrectly labeled "Reverse of 1940" nickel in a "Reverse of 1938" labeled PCGS holder, they could make upto $100 dollars!

Leo

It can't get anymore simplier than that.

Not one of the 1939 PCGS MS67FS coins, but here is a non-FS MS67 example! Cleaning this up should be easy folks!

Teletrade Link

<< <i>Not one of the 1939 PCGS MS67FS coins, but here is a non-FS MS67 example! Cleaning this up should be easy folks!

Teletrade Link >>

You would have thought whoever owned that coin should have known better. Now he has a slab out there with his name on it and the coin is all wrong image

Leo image

Hey Mike

Have you seen this thread?

Leo

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Thats the new scoop step. image

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>image Thats the new scoop step. image >>

image Yes and it's full of it!

Leo

<< <i>Not one of the 1939 PCGS MS67FS coins, but here is a non-FS MS67 example! Cleaning this up should be easy folks!

Teletrade Link >>

The "Reverse of 1940" coin with a Reverse of 1938" label is up to $140. I'll laugh if there are any snipers! image

Leo

To add, I should of said; The Compradore "Reverse of...........

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    why would you laugh?

the Rev 40 has lower pops in 67 and is worth even more than a 38image
    If pictures of the incorrectly labeled slab/coin can be posted here why not make the changes in the pops and number lookup system and forcibly pull those coins from the registry sets if they have them. This will at least force the registry set owners to make that call to headquarters when they see their GPA's drop and an empty spot in their registry sets.

Just a thought.

Leo

<< <i>why would you laugh?

the Rev 40 has lower pops in 67 and is worth even more than a 38image >>

At least someone would be using their pumpkin heads effectively. image

Leo

<< <i>why would you laugh?

the Rev 40 has lower pops in 67 and is worth even more than a 38image >>

The coin realized $170............on Sunday, August 17, 2008, the same coin realized $380. It's likely, someone decided to unload the coin after learning it was mislabeled.

Leo

I'm really enjoying this one-sided thread but here's another thought..........does it really matter what the coin is labeled if there are only 1 or 2 steps or next to none at all?

Leo

For many series it is recommended when starting out, to collect the keys first. Well, with that mindset, no-one would ever get off the ground collecting the Jefferson nickel series with full steps, it can't be done. There are roughly 30 to 40 dates from 1938 to 1970, depending on the quality of coin you decide upon, that are impossible to find.

Leo

some people do not worry about the FS designation

and I thought there were less than 5 issues w/o the FS having been given by PCGS
    = although some of those given may not have been deserving

I wonder what they would do with that coin resubmitted under the regrade option

if they would get it correct or exactly the same with a new cert number?
    Well, for the last hour or so I've been scouring TT and have looked at close to 150 coins so far that were graded with the Reverse of 1938 or 1940 designation and I'm really impressed with the number of coins with the correct labels versus those with an improper label. To be exact, besides the one shown in this thread, I could only find 3 others out of 146 coins. That is 97% accuracy! I've looked at only the MS66 coins through July 2007 and the 16 MS67 coins back to 2003 in the TT archives. Only one MS67 was mislabeled, the one shown here.

Leo

Edited for an update; only 4 out of 187 were mislabeled, a 98% accuracy.

Leo,

I put in a few bids on that coin Sunday night. I wanted to send it back and get it retired and adjust the Pops.

On to your new topic, grading accuracy from prior sales. I don't think most people (well, at least I wouldn't) would send my incorrectly labeled coins to sell on TT or in an aution. Anyway, it is irrelevant checking previous coin sales for this statistic. The PCGS Pops tell the story. The history laid out above is clear.

Oh well, the owners of these coins know what they need to do. I hope there are not that many Jefferson collectors out there that are ignorant to the difference in Rev38 and Rev40 steps and rely on labels!
    NGC is just as bad as PCGS on these designations!

ebay NGC MS66 Wrong Reverse Designation

<< <i>NGC is just as bad as PCGS on these designations!

ebay NGC MS66 Wrong Reverse Designation >>

Yeah, well.........there's no choir over there! Everybody's in the fish tank there.

Good luck with that!

Leo

I was curious to see what is going on with the 1939-Ds. I went out to Herritage and did a search. Just as expected, 2 1939-D PCGS MS66FS (#84005 - Reverse 38) coins in the old "not designated" holders were actually Reverse 40s.

I rest my case!

I have a MS67 Rev38 non-FS. Still waiting for that MS67FS Rev38!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few points germaine to the OP........................

1. the Regsitry has the power to sway the judgement of otherwise upstanding collectors. this probably helps prevent them from getting their coins attributed correctly.
    2. if any Registry Set owners have pictures of improperly attributed coins listed with their Sets PCGS should act based on them to get it correct.
    3. i have personally seen PCGS coins holdered between 2003-2008 which were improperly attributed.
    4. based solely on the coins i have seen from the series, the best hope of finding a R. 38 1939 coin would probably be from Denver.
  • I'm still looking for 39P & S reverse of 38 in MS67FS. I have never seen either in MS67FS. Here is a 39D MS67FS rev of 38.

(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
    Frank,

Awesome coin! This one is a true Jefferson rarity!

Let's clean-up all incorrectly attributed 1939's out there.

I recently acquired one of the incorrectly attributed 1939 Rev38 PCGS MS67FS coins! Getting ready to retire it when I get down to the FUN Show. Well not retire, but shift the coin from the Rev38 to Rev40 Pops. Not sure what PCGS will do compensation wise, however, not my primary concern. I want to get the records straight; MS67 Rev38 1939's are extremely rare and may not exist in P or S! Thanks to Frank, we know there is at least one D.

I like it! Rarely does this date come fully struck, virtually markfree. And the steps? They appear as close as they can get to 5.

Leo

I was going to link the picture in coinfacts of a 1939 MS67FS rev of 38, but it looks like a rev of 40 to meimage

but the poulation is slowly dropping, now only 13 in report
    sinin1,

Yes, you are correct on the incorrect picture in CoinFacts. This is another example of an incorrectly attributed MS67FS 1939 Rev38 coin. This continues to support my thought that NO MS67FS Rev38 coins exist. Now let's ask PCGS why they don't get a hold of the owner and fix this one!

With the Population for the Rev38's going down, it looks like a collector finally did the right thing!
    Update on original post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file