Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help with unusual Bicentennial medal

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my colleagues has found a very unusual Bicentennial medal in an old box of odds and ends he had. I have never seen it before.

It is an "Official Birth Commemorative" issued by the American Silversmiths Guild, Inc. of Paramus, N.J. It is officially recognized by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration, authorized and licensed. It was struck for Beech-Nut Baby Foods, and contains one ounce of sterling silver.

The design shows a scroll with the ARBA logo at the top, "Declaration of Birth" in olde english script, and a quill pen at the bottom. I suppose you could have a baby's name engraved on the scroll, though the space is rather small. The reverse shows the Great Seal of the United States.

The case is the same format as the ARBA bronze medals issued in the early 1970's, except that the plastic is grey rather than black. It has the ARBA logo on it.

Pictures to follow.

Anybody ever see one of these?

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file