Home U.S. Coin Forum

R. Tomaska's new Franklin Book

I don't know what the heck is holding up publication of this long awaited book that was slated for release in Spring of 2010 ........

but I can make a prediction that the 1955-P in MS66 will be pegged as one of the most under rated coins in the series .

Comments

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's purty Les! image
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's a nice 'un!" image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty half.
  • Great image!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • I believe you're right about the '55 being an underrated date, especially in 66/66FBL. It's definitely a difficult one to find with nice color.

Here are a couple 65FBLs I shot for bushmaster about a year ago. I wish I had bought one when I had the chance.

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Patience.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Patience. >>

I dated a girl named Patience once, she had none.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Patience. >>

I dated a girl named Patience once, she had none. >>

Did she live on Gordon Street? And was that a long time ago when you were young? image
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Even blast white MS66 1955's are underrated! Lots of minor contact marks centered on Benji's cheek keep most of these frosty pieces from
    the hallowed grade.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Patience. >>

Did she live on Gordon Street? And was that a long time ago when you were young? image >>

When I was young there were no streets, I did have a pet trilobite though. image
    Here's mine, PCGS MS66FBL:

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    super '55's ............get 'um b4 their all gone
    how about a 65FBL

LCoopie = Les
    Hey !

whats that on Ben's upper lip ??

<< <i>how about a 65FBL

image >>

man ....how many coins do you have that used to be mine ? image
    LCoopie = Les
    Some sweet coins, guys!
  • I'm glad you posted this one Paw:

<< <i>image >>

The toning on this 1955 is uncannily similar to the plethora of "mint set toned" Franklins (as well as many other series) that have flooded the toner market the last couple years (although they first began appearing in the early 90's).

This type of toning has become widely accepted by most (including HRH and the TPG graders).

It is widely believed and generally accepted by saavy Franklin collectors and mint set afficionadoes that, for smoe reason, no Bugsy's got into the mint sets.

Of course there exists the possibility that a white 55 Bugs was placed into a 1956 - 1958 mint set slot and left to tone naturally. Yeah, right.

Just another of the hundreds of tiny grains of circumstantial evidence in the sandbox of toned coins.

I realize I am sounding like a broken record, but I am quite sure that this is a product of the "mint set Doc".
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got regraded for a customer a totally blast white 1955 Franklin that graded PCGS-MS65+FBL (and he was more excited about this than a pop 2/0 Franklin he also received back in the batch!) He was quite convinced that PCGS has never graded a blast white coin higher than his (and I had never seen a blast white MS66FBL either). Anyone know of a blast white 1955 Franklin that graded MS66FBL at PCGS?
    Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Only white 1955 MS66 to my knowledge is my Bugsbunny and it is not designated as FBL. It really is FBL, IMHO, but PCGS thus far hasn't agreed.

I have a box of 20 white MS65FBL 1955's. But to tell you the truth, I have become afraid to do regrades any longer on white coins or delicate proofs. I have had too dang many get abused by PCGS in the process.

Over the years I would estimate I have sent maybe 100 white coins for regrade. Probably close to half of them have developed spots after getting reholdered. It is inexcusable that so many coins have been impaired in this way, but facts are facts.

I have sent some of these "newly spotted" coins back for spot review, but the inevitable dipping they get affects the luster. I once wrote on the spot review invoice:
    "Please try solvent only for removing these spots-NO DIP!"
    but the coin was dipped despite my plea.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • I pulled this pair out of a set....one came back MS66FBL and the other MS65FBL so I made out quite well on that set as all of the dimes came back MS67

and here is probably the most colorful 1955 I pulled...I am pretty sure this went 66 but I know it didn't go FBL and it's twin also got a MS66 so it would seem they come in pairs lol?

one more colorful pair......no clue what these originally graded image

• << <i>

<< <i>Patience. >>

Not true.

Wiseman once say: "Patience is a virgin" image

<< <i>I'm glad you posted this one Paw:

<< <i>image >>

The toning on this 1955 is uncannily similar to the plethora of "mint set toned" Franklins (as well as many other series) that have flooded the toner market the last couple years (although they first began appearing in the early 90's).

This type of toning has become widely accepted by most (including HRH and the TPG graders).

It is widely believed and generally accepted by saavy Franklin collectors and mint set afficionadoes that, for smoe reason, no Bugsy's got into the mint sets.

Of course there exists the possibility that a white 55 Bugs was placed into a 1956 - 1958 mint set slot and left to tone naturally. Yeah, right.

Just another of the hundreds of tiny grains of circumstantial evidence in the sandbox of toned coins.

I realize I am sounding like a broken record, but I am quite sure that this is a product of the "mint set Doc". >>

Could be Bushy , could be ........I bought this coin from John Schuch ( who by the way apparently has a son who is a grader for NGC ! ) about ten

years ago - and to tell you the truth , never noticed it was a B.Bunny till I posted this pix !

As for the mint set Bugs - Leber would give you a strong argument that the Bugs were indeed found in orig. mint sets , as he hoarded them .

Maybe R.Tomaska will comment here or address the issue in his new book .

and your comments about spotting and such triggered a real bad memory I have ;

Had a superb ICG '54 in 66 FBL that I crossed to PCGS ......the thing was a dream coin - no spots , no smudges , no finger prints

was a toned masterpiece and rare as such as most Mint Set coins from the 48-58 era develop such things at some tome in their life ........

so a couple years go by , and like an ice pick thru the heart , I had it at home from the SDB for imaging by Messydesk ,

and under my halogen I see it ; two faint thumb prints on both sides of the obverse - exactly where the fellers thumbs press the coin into

the O-ring on the PCGS video of the " Grading Process "...........

Whats done is done - I can't go back in time and change it ; all I can say is I never touched the coin, and the thumb prints weren't there when it was in the ICG holder .

.it doesn't wreck the coin - but I agree there is absolutely no excuse , none whatsoever , no way , no how

as to have this happen on my pristine , print free coin .........it saddens me to deATH, beyond what mere words can convey
    kryptonite ,

you talkin' PCGS or NGC grades on them '55's ?
    ......this coin should stir up some excitement , not a '55

but a '53 .........in PCGS MS 67 !

Heritage Auction PCGS MS67 Franklin

<< <i>......this coin should stir up some excitement , not a '55

but a '53 .........in PCGS MS 67 !

Heritage Auction PCGS MS67 Franklin >>

I like that there is no picture. Wanna' buy some land in Florida that you haven't seen???
    patience my friend image
  • I don't know what the heck is holding up publication of this long awaited book that was slated for release in Spring of 2010 ........

and your comments about spotting and such triggered a real bad memory I have ;

Had a superb ICG '54 in 66 FBL that I crossed to PCGS ......the thing was a dream coin - no spots , no smudges , no finger prints

was a toned masterpiece and rare as such as most Mint Set coins from the 48-58 era develop such things at some tome in their life ........

so a couple years go by , and like an ice pick thru the heart , I had it at home from the SDB for imaging by Messydesk ,

and under my halogen I see it ; two faint thumb prints on both sides of the obverse - exactly where the fellers thumbs press the coin into

the O-ring on the PCGS video of the " Grading Process "...........

Whats done is done - I can't go back in time and change it ; all I can say is I never touched the coin, and the thumb prints weren't there when it was in the ICG holder .

.it doesn't wreck the coin - but I agree there is absolutely no excuse , none whatsoever , no way , no how

as to have this happen on my pristine , print free coin .........it saddens me to deATH, beyond what mere words can convey
    i pre-ordered via amazon
    and they expect it in dec towards the end
    LCoopie = Les
    The books were hijacked by Somali numismatic pyrites who thought the toning was gold, but were fooled. At last check, the embedded tracking chips showed them being carried across the Sahara by camel and aardvark caravan (as opposed to “minivan”).
  • As Scoopie Lcoopie Doo says, Whitman sent out an email stating they expect to be shipping around Dec 20.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he should spend less time on Jimmy Gerstel treasure hunter showimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Publishing a book isn't an easy operation so I can't and won't fault Rick for any delays. These things don't happen overnight and even the best of plans for a release date often get whacked around by any number of different circumstances for whatever reasons which are totally out of his control.

Just ask ModernDollar Nut or RWB. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>As Scoopie Lcoopie Doo says, Whitman sent out an email stating they expect to be shipping around Dec 20. >>

His newsletter said that they expect to see them by late November.----I can't stand the wait!image
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
  • I been waiting since Spring - what's a few more months
  • I got an email from R&I Coin this morning that says that the new book has just been shipped from the publisher!imageAny day now!!!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, something to put on my Christmas want list.

Glad the book has finally been completed and introduced into the market.

So, should those of us with holdings of Cameo proof Franklins expect a surge in demand for these coins and an increase in their value because of this book?

• yes , I believe the surge will be like a great tsunami and countless billions of dollars will pour into the series .

God bless the Mighty , Mighty Franklin ............
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    what's up with the toner on the cover? 1948d maybe? and to people not familiar with toners, when they see that coin they would probably think its ugly and worthless...
    "It is what it is."
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PawPaul:

Oh Goodie.

I am so happy about the coming tsunami and billions of dollars poured into Franklins.

After I sell all of my Franklins for truckloans full of money I can finally prove to my wife that I am not "crazy to collect coins in general and these coins in particular"image

<< <i>what's up with the toner on the cover? 1948d maybe? and to people not familiar with toners, when they see that coin they would probably think its ugly and worthless... >>

It's to scare away the uninitiated.

• I think that toner on the cover is the 1948 FBL NGC MS-67 * example that sold for close to 20 grand
    What was book #14 ?

<< <i>What was book #14 ? >>

No. 14 was the
    Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States Coins, by Frank Colletti.

• << <i>yes , I believe the surge will be like a great tsunami and countless billions of dollars will pour into the series .

God bless the Mighty , Mighty Franklin ............ >>

Booyah Bro! image

• << <i>image >>

I will be curious to see what the author has to say about the Kennedy series, hopefully not just as an after thought but I'm not holding my breath image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file