Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questions on the 1964-1967 SMS Sets. Are there any off metal errors for these coins that exist?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the 1964 SMS coins, were the dime and quarter intended to be made of 90% silver or were they intended to be made of the sandwich clad metal that replaced the 90% silver? Which ever metal was intended, were any of the dimes, quarters and/or halves made of the other metal in error?

For 1965, 1966 and 1967 SMS coins, are there any dimes or quarters erroneously made of 90% silver or 40% silver instead of clad? For the half dollars, were any of them erroneously made of 90% silver instead of 40% silver?

Thanks in advance for any information you have.

Comments

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I guess if anyone knows, they ain't sayin'! image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the 1964 SMS coins, were the dime and quarter intended to be made of 90% silver or were they intended to be made of the sandwich clad metal that replaced the 90% silver? Which ever metal was intended, were any of the dimes, quarters and/or halves made of the other metal in error?

For 1965, 1966 and 1967 SMS coins, are there any dimes or quarters erroneously made of 90% silver or 40% silver instead of clad? For the half dollars, were any of them erroneously made of 90% silver instead of 40% silver?

Thanks in advance for any information you have. >>

There are no known off metal errors for any of the SMS's. It's not impossible there's
    an off planchet error but I've not heard of such.

There were probably no 40% silver quarter and half dollar planchets made until the
    bicentennial issues of 1975/ 6 but there were so many different alloys and composi-
    tions tried for quarters in 1964/ 5 that it's likely a very similar composition was tried.
    They did experiment with silver alloys clad on cores but these cores were all solid
    copper if memory serves.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Well, they were striking 1964-dated silver coins into 1966.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, they were striking 1964-dated silver coins into 1966. >>

Yes. 90% dimes were struck up till February, 1966.

There were mixups with both dies and planchets so there are numerous odd balls
    from this era. However, numismatic coins were made to a different standard and at
    a different mint. They used the proof presses in San Francisco to strike the SMS's.
    It was entirely possible that they could have inadvertantly made off metal coins but
    there's no evidence it actually happened and most probably did not. This is based
    on the fact none are reported and that more care was taken with the SMS than with
    "everyday" coins. The planchets were often specially processed but they were at
    least distinct from those used for the other presses. The chances of mix-ups in the
    numismatic area were just much lower.

I wouldn't be surprised if no silver coins were struck in San Francisco. They didn't be-
    gin coinage operations again until mid-'65.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file