Home U.S. Coin Forum

Have any of your coins developed attractive toning while in storage?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since I got back into the hobby as an adult in the late 1990's, I have acquired many proof, SMS and circulation strike coins. I also have coins I collected as a YN back in the 1960's and early 1970's. These coins have been stored in cardboard albums [Whitman, Dansco, Wayte Raymond, LOC], Original Government Packaging, plastic holders [Capital and Whitman set holders and single holders], flips and envelopes.

Some have been stored away for years without me looking closely at them.

Over the past day or so [while the family is out of town] I have looked at some of the coins closely [I guess I should look at all of them]. It is very surprising to see how many of them [90% silver, 40% silver, clad, nickel, copper and zinc] have developed a wide range of very attractive toning.

Some of the best toning has developed on pre 1971 Cameo proof and SMS coins, particularly the clad dimes, clad quarters and nickels. Rim toning is very common with single color or multi color rim toning which provides a very nice frame for the contrasted devices on the coins. Other toning is single color or multi color which has developed on large areas of the coins; plus crescent toning. Some of the toning is muted and dusty looking. Some of it is very vibrant. Some of the silver coins have developed some toning, but not to the extent as the non silvers. Some of the silvers have developed the milky haze that you see on many of these coins in OGP. Some of the circulation strike coins [MS and circulated] have also acquired some toning.

Have you experience the same thing with coins in your collection that have been stored for long periods of time?

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file