Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GIES: 1917 WWI Cast Iron Art Medal

Hunger und Not (Hunger and Need), 1917, Cast, broad oval, iron medal, Ermsting WVZ 154a, VZ, RRRR.

Obverse: Women engaged in the Polonaise ritual at a butcher and baker shop.

Reverse: A sword pointing left resting on a platter with a boule of peasant bread. Inscription: IM WIND UND WETTER / UMS LIEBE BROT / STEHN STILLE HELDEN / IN GROSSER NOT / 1917;

In wind and weather
Around loving bread
Stand quiet heroes
In great distress

Only two known examples;

Bronze - Wein (Vienna) Kunsthistoriches (Art History) Museum; Sammlung und Medaillen, Münzen und Geldzeichen II 30.721 (VS) und II 30.722 (RS)

Iron, this one, has not been seen since the following catalog listing was publish in 1918; La Guerre Européenne Medailles de Necessité Papiers-Monnaie. Insignes Destinctifs des Régiments; Lagerkatalog 70, J. Schulman, Amsterdam 3/1918, S. 183,, Nr. 1945; Metzger-Bäcker

I'll provide more subject analysis once I have had a chance to study this new addition to my Gies collection.

Comments

• determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Historically interesting and expressing a poignant sentiment of those times.

I really like its historical significance. The rarity is just the icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing.

What's its size?
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Wow! You never ever cease to amaze me with your finds... I can't wait for the book(s) that will follow your incredible collection and the history behind these fine medals of yours, including your Goetz cabinet. Is there any kind of current reference available? Just in case on the off chance I should ever come across a medal that I may be able to save. I have some interest in Goetz simply because some of the stuff he produced kinda fits in my German collection but have yet to come across them (I am using your posts and pics as reference to what I want and think fits in my collection). I see medals and tokens all the time from Germany but having no idea what they are so I pass on them unless the price is right or in incredible condition.

Thanks for all your posts in the past and look forward to more in the future...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "What's its size?"

oops, 63.5mm X 60.0mm
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the size.

It's truly a historically important piece.

If there are only 2 known (so far), then there probably weren't many made. Who do you think the few were made for?

Just curious - where did you get it? From a dealer, a collector, or a lucky find? I'm not asking for specifics. I'm just curious.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Thanks for the post, always enjoy viewing your new purchases. You must have incredible sources!

Dan
    The glass is half full!

<< <i>Thanks for the size.

It's truly a historically important piece.

If there are only 2 known (so far), then there probably weren't many made. Who do you think the few were made for?

Just curious - where did you get it? From a dealer, a collector, or a lucky find? I'm not asking for specifics. I'm just curious. >>

It is likely that these are the only two but I can't claim they are the only two. The bronze example was the only one proved to still exist and that had held for 93 years. Gies created this iron example and then probably submitted it into an art medal competition. Museums would then order or buy examples directly from these competitions. It is likely that they wanted a copy in bronze and then he cast one. This iron piece was then placed for sale with Schulman and sold from Schulman's catalog in 1918. Ernsting's tome talks about this piece being in the catalog but that it wasn't known where it was until it just popped up in a recent german auction...obviously from an old collection.

I have found my examples through dealers, other collectors, ebay (believe it or not) and British and German auctions. You'd be surprised how collected German material is in Britain.

If you haven't seen my funky Gies page then take a look at it here: Ludwig Gies Click on the award ribbons will show actual display images. I badly need to update this page as I have six or seven new pieces to add to it...unfortunately, the Goetz web site development is taking priority right now. image
  • So disappointed that it's likely unique - I need it for my pig collection!
    yeah, it's a pretty neat little sow isn't it? image