Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What percentage of US coins in the of collectors, investors and dealers are in slabs and what percen

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
In other words, how big of a dent have TPG's made in the past 24 years in getting collectible US coins into slabs?

Is it 1%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 50%?

If it is only a small percentage (say 10% or less) then that means that TPGs will have a large pool of raw coins to grade in the future, insuring continued viability of the TPGs.

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Define collectible better. Are common wheat cents collectible?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that it would be an inverse ratio i.e. like about 90% of the coins valued over $10,000 and 10% of those under with the total percentage slabbed growing each year.
    Recent changes in the certification process make it probable that many of the higher value coins will be recertified in the next few years.
    As for trying to determine a finite percent of the US coins slabbed that would almost be impossible. How many billion cents will they make this year? And what would the figure if you could come up with an answer mean. The vast majority of coins out there are not worth the cost of certifying but some of them are going to be submitted any way.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree we need a better definition of collector coins.

But consider this:
    PCGS surpassed 10 million a few years ago, I believe NGC did as well. Given all the various TPGs, there are probably less than 100 million coins in slabs.

there must be billions of collector coins, many stashed away in granny's drawers, grampa's closet, collections that have been sitting idle for years and collections by people that have no interest in plastic.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will give two definitions of "collectable coins".

#1. All US coins in the possession of collectors, investors and dealers that are considered by them to be in their "collection and/or inventory" [This is a very broad definition that would include circulated wheat cents, etc, but would exclude pocket change]; and

#2. All US coins in the possession of collectors, investors and dealers that have a wholesale value of $10.00 or more that are considered by them to be in their "collection and/or inventory".

LindeDad has a good point that is probably accurate. A higher percentage of lower value coins are raw and a higher percentage of higher value coins are slabbed [and vice versa].
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    TOO MANY
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Julian, we need a much better definition of which coins you are wanting to consider. Your two definitions do not fill the bill for me.

Perhaps you want to consider only collector coins worth retail of $100 each or more?

Best I can offer, is that I believe about 80% of the coins worth $1000+ are already in slabs --- IF they are gradable.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TOO MANY >>

Sorry we need more thats what pays for this forum. And it's iced tea not cool aid I'm having now.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I'd venture 5% or less of all US coins that are worth $100 or more are in TPG holders, with a very small number of those worth 1 cent to $100 being holdered. Many of the total number already in holders have been counted multiple times because of resubmittals.

"Have a nice day!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file