Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln Cent People .... What do you think of these ? Sorry Really large pics (1924-D & 26-S

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
first one scanner with book together so slight angle
second pic scanned straight on
Would you slab them all?
Results under Pics

1924-D MS63RB
1926-S 91 Questionable Color

Comments

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some nice ones in there. Difficult to judge the color. An easy sell I would think.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Some of those have real value. Like the 1926-S. They are missing most of the keys, but
    what's there looks nice. Don't know about the reverses. They look like they were
    collected contemporaneous to their dates. Any with "D", or "S" mints have the most value.

On the first set there are at least two in the wrong spot near the 1915-1916 area.
    What's the story about who collected them and when?
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were mine I would slab the 11D, 15D, 24D, and 26S. The rest I would sell raw.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Oh I see, I was seeing the coins from the 2nd page thru the 1st page holes.

Some may have condition problems, but a few nice examples.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Hard to say which I would send in. A few have questionable color in the pics...better to see in hand.
    Always nice to find a group like those.
    Good luck!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hard to say which I would send in. A few have questionable color in the pics...better to see in hand. >>

Yeah, I'm seeing some that may be AU and messed with, hard to tell from the pics but the 11-D, 11-S and 26-S look like they may have been messed with in an attempt to improve their appearance.

Some of the others may bag for questionable color (especially the 15-D and 24-D).

Given the persnickety nature of graders these days a lot of what once was "market acceptable" has been deemed not to be anymore.

Most of the rest are probably best enjoyed and/or sold raw, as the cost of slabbing would probably be more than the difference in value between these coins in and out of plastic.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Not sure any would slab as they all looked dipped/cleaned.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Almost all, if not all, look like problem coins to me.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thr 1926 looks stunning!!!
    It's difficult with the rest not in hand.
    Some nice conditions....might like the back porch for a few months.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure any would slab as they all looked dipped/cleaned. >>

Yes, it looks like there were some nice AU and lower grade UNCs but they got messed with.
    I'd sell em raw, most or all won't grade.

Ed
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell them raw. I think you will have a hard time getting them in non-genuine holders. Too many appear to have been messed with at some point and the "work" is now showing in unflattering ways.

I think you might get better feedback from individual photos of both sides.

Good luck!
    Lance.
  • lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I agree with the last few posts. They all appear to have been cleaned at some point, so to answer your question, I like your early wheats and some of the dates but none are worth slabbing IMHO.

<< <i>Thr 1926 looks stunning!!! >>

This one looks 100% natural, it's a fairly well-stuck date in general with a high proportion of "gem" survivors.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, but VERY hard to tell what has been messed with. Not sure what you have in this little set, but I can see why you bought it. If you can afford to send a couple in I would just to see if we are all wrong. Try the 22 D and 24 D first. And by all means report back to us.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • I like the 18P. Most of the others have been messed with. The 26S and 24D for sure and the way PCGS is grading now, most of the others will certainly not go through. Send in the 18P if you want and sell the others raw.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Results in on two
    24-D MS63RB
    26-S Questionable color
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smitty you’re the Man! Thanks for keeping us posted, and thanks for challenging our grading skills. Good luck with the next round. And I would not throw that 26 S away just yet. Try setting it in the open air of a covered porch.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

<< <i>24-D MS63RB >>

Hopefully that alone makes up for all the rest.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That '22-D looks unusually well-struck. Not sure about the color, though- I agree wit hthe others in that most of them look cleaned.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file