Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Seated Half Dollars from 1839-1849 Crusty Original

SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
I was working on some pictures of my early seated half dollars and I figured that the forum might enjoy taking a look. I have added some of the more popular varieties as well. Feel free to give any opinions. As always, this is a work in progress and I am always looking for the next upgrade or more eye appealing example to come along.

imageimage
imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Thanks for looking!
Scott

Comments

• Options
    what do your 1839's grade?
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful looking set! Look forward to seeing other examples of your set...

agentjim007- your 39 doesn't look too shabby either...
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, Scott. What a great collection of Seated Halves. You should be proud of this set of coins. Great character and originality. Look forward to seeing more of your collection.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    amazing, love the 1840 (o) rev of 38 and the 1844 o doubled date. What are those two of less than 150 in PGCS holders. One of the better collections I have seen on these boards or anywhere.
  • Options
    SaultYooperSaultYooper Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    I like your 1840 (O) Reverse of 1838. What did it slab at?
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking bunch of coins!!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some lovely looking coins. Congratulations on a very nice collection of SLHs! image
  • Options
    Wonderful original set. Thank you for sharing.

Tom
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed, and definitely a 'path less traveled'. I love the 'baseball' die crack rev on the 41O - I've read about it, but never seen one until now. Thanks for sharing.
    I've been accumulating nicer seated halves when I can find them, but haven't yet committed to trying to do a set. There appear to be a number of tough issues in the series.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

Very nice selection! image

I too love the baseball crack on the 41-O, and your 47 is, mmmm ... yeah baby (IMO)

I like them all, and there are a few I would LOVE to call mine.

Thanks for sharing!!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1840(O) Reverse of 1838 certainly got my attention!imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! The photography is exceeded only by the coins themselves! Now I want to see the rest of em image
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice set, thanks for posting
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Wow... nice looking bunch of coins. The die cracks on the reverse of that one '41-0 are wild.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    WOW!! Thanks for making my stop by the forum today worthwhile!!! Beautiful coins and excellent photography! I only collected this set for a short time and gave up (VF-XF), but loved the challenge. That 'baseball' die crack is phenomenal!
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW some really hard ones to find there. Nice display.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set.

I like the 41-0 baseball and 1840 with rev of 38 as well. The understated luster on the 40-0 is also nice. No early seated half in original condition is common anymore.

Thanks for sharing.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated halves are quite lovely and very tough to find nice.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What attributes does one look for on the 40-O to see if it's a Rev of '38 (from the capped bust half era)?
    I looked at my 40-O and it has the same closed talons, flower buds, etc. as the one posted here - the only difference is that mine has a very small O mint mark.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    scott,
    thanks for the look , their great !! 43-o !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins! Same series & grade range as what I have been collecting lately.
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice comments guys!

To answer a few questions, my 39 ND was graded VF30 by PCGS and the 39 WD was graded AU55 by PCGS. I have considered upgrading my 39 ND but it is the reverse die crack variety that is much more difficult to find, so I don't think I will upgrade it anytime soon.

The 1840 reverse of 38 was graded XF45 and I paid solid AU money for the coin when I purchased her. This variety is difficult to find nice and I am actually working on a die state progression for it so I have been watching most of the examples that come to market.

Walkerguy21D asked what attibutes to look for on the 1840 reverse of 38 and while there are actually quite a few the quick and easy one to notice is the ends of the arrow shafts as the reverse of 38 shows 3 arrow shafts and the standard SLH reverse shows only 2, so check for the middle arrow shaft first.

The 41-O baseball cracked reverse is one of my favorite coins as I believe it is in a VF30 holder and I am only aware of about 4 or 5 of the 41-O baseball cracked reverse halves that are actually in PCGS plastic many of the examples have problems, which when only 30-40 coins are known in total it makes a big difference. I own three examples of the 41-O baseball cracked reverse, this one and one PCGS VF25 and a raw low grade example. This VF30 example is one of only a very small number that in my opinion are both problem free and original looking. Some of them, even a few in PCGS holders, appear to me to have been dipped or cleaned. Keep your eyes out for one, there are bound to be a few more around still.

Thanks for looking,
    Scott
  • Options
    That's a really nice group of seated halves. Nice rare varieties and most of them are choice for the grade!image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice original coins, Southcounty! Congratulations! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, inspirational post. There should be more like it!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Killer set of halfs....image
  • Options
    Very nice collection! I like the look of those much more than any set of prestine ms69/70 coins.
    These have tons of character and almost pull you back into the 1840's!

Thank you for sharing these with us!
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    WOW! That '41-O cracked reverse is awesome. Cladiator must agree. He pulled out my favorite one of the batch before I got to it.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful set and thanks for sharing it with us!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file