Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anybody know where I can get the small Chinese silver bullion coins?

I see that hundreds of thousands of the silver 3 yuan pandas have been minted. They have about 1/4 ounce of silver in them, and are attractive. I'd like to buy a few hundred as both to collect and to use as gifts. Does anybody know where I can get them?

I live in Asia, so I can buy in Asia. Or, of course, I can buy in America.
Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't help but how's Krung Thep?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • The are two types of authentic 3 Yuan 1/4 oz. silver Pandas. One comes from the silver 25th Anniversary set issued in 2007. An original set in its box is a beautiful thing — the Chinese Mint really knows how to make an attractive presentation. There were just 30,000 silver sets minted and those are pretty expensive today relative to their silver value; prices are in the $650-$750 for 6.25 oz. of silver, or roughly $100 per oz. No coins were sold individually so single Anniversary coins must come from broken sets which limits their availability. These coins have been widely copied. My web page on counterfeit Pandas includes a comparison of a genuine vs. a fake 3 Yuan Anniversary silver Panda. It's at Bad Bears: Panda Counterfeits.

There was also a 3 Yuan silver Panda issued in 1997 to commemorate the World Wildlife Fund. Mintage was 75,000 and these usually sell for $35-$45 dollars. I can't think of any other 3 Yuan 1/4 oz. silver Pandas, so if you see hundreds of thousands of 3 Yuan Pandas for sale than you are looking at copies that probably aren't silver. Here is a photo of the 1997 World Wildlife Coin:

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    www.pandacollector.com
  • Dear FolderHolder:

Thank you for the great explanation. We were going to have one of our employees search through Hong Kong for these coins. Now we know not to bother her.

And Ajaan, with the raw rua, Krung Thep Mahanakorn is wonderful. Great place to walk; great place to live. Unless my 20-year old daughter, who still lives in the states, decides to get married, I don't think I'll ever go back there.

Just Having Fun,
    and lots of it in Bangkok (aka Krung Thep Maha nakorn)

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock