Home Sports Talk
Options

The "Big House" in Ann Arbor is now the largest football stadium in the US

Just announced today that the newly remodeled stadium has a capacity of 109,901.

I suspect that won't last for too long as that game of oneupmanship is a big deal in college football.

There are still around 20 luxury suites available at prices of $55,000 to $85,000 per season with a
three year committment required. If the economy was better I suspect those would be long gone by now.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not really paid much attention but have they continued to sell out the last couple years?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I H-A-T-E Michigan, as any self-respecting Ohio State Buckeye fan hould... but I must admit, I went to last year's OSU-UM game, and it was a blast. It really is a cool experience to see all of Michigan's rituals and chants. I gained a *little* respect for them, and I can at least be cordial to a person wearing those disgusting colors. We tailgated across the street from the stadium, at the high school. Aside from the big house being a GIANT HOLE in the earth, the stadium is actually pretty nice. We had 16th row seats, next to the endzone. There were four of us who went to the game together, two OSU fans, and two UM fans. Even though OSU spanked Meatchicken, I was respectful and enjoyed friendly banter with the folks around me. They were also respectful, and didn't hate on me too hard for being a Buckeye fan. It was a great time!

My Facebook Photo Album of The Game

• Options
    Tiger Stadium is #9 but the maximum capacity is questionable. 2005 LSU/Auburn game was close to 93,000 but at the stadium they announced a total of over 101,000. It took us about 30 minutes to get from our seats to the exit after the game.

According to Wikipedia, Tiger Stadium at max capacity would make the stadium the 6th largest city in the state.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Who has the uglier helmet, Ohio State or Michigan? It's a toss-up. For overall ugly, I would go with Penn State, Oregon, and Oregon State in no particular order.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Tiger Stadium is #9 but the maximum capacity is questionable. 2005 LSU/Auburn game was close to 93,000 but at the stadium they announced a total of over 101,000. It took us about 30 minutes to get from our seats to the exit after the game.

According to Wikipedia, Tiger Stadium at max capacity would make the stadium the 6th largest city in the state. >>

and #1 for drunk Cajuns who like to flip over cars after their tigers lose, especially night games, and especially to Alabama
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    not a Michigan fan at all but I think they have some of the nicest and most classic helmets out there
  • Options

<< <i>not a Michigan fan at all but I think they have some of the nicest and most classic helmets out there >>

I disagree... I think Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens helmets are much nicer.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    REMOVE THE PHOTO

End of discussion

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    The powers that be have the ability to remove that photo, and if they deem it offensive then I suspect they would take it down themselves. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I will let them decide. It's not that bad, is it? I mean, unless you're a fan of that unfortunate team up north...
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat.

Win something (i.e. national championship)and Jeff will remove the photo.

Till then STFU!

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>not a Michigan fan at all but I think they have some of the nicest and most classic helmets out there >>

I respectfully disagree. Michigan helmets should be wrapped with toilet paper because they look like crap.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Look to the left

------
    stupid print dots

• Options

<< <i>Look to the left >>

nice... image
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Look to the left >>

nice... image >>

It's always been one of my favorite avatars.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    History and tradition deserves respect...

Even if there is disagreement and I am aware of all the Woody Hayes comments- the decision to go for two in the 1968 game and not buying gas in Michigan and the folk lore goes on and on...

The snow bowl game of 1950 and the big Michigan win at Columbus that propelled them to the 1951 Rosebowl against Cal-

These stories and events deserve more than a middle finger...

• Options
    Even if there is disagreement and I am aware of all the Woody Hayes comments- the decision to go for two in the 1968 game and not buying gas in Michigan and the folk lore goes on and on...

The snow bowl game of 1950 and the big Michigan win at Columbus that propelled them to the 1951 Rosebowl against Cal-

These stories and events deserve more than a middle finger...

I even believe Woody, Earl Bruce, Paul Brown- Bo, Lloyd Carr, Gary Moeller and the coaches of both Ohio State and Michigan in the history of their respective programs would agree

• Options
    Ahhhh yes... Michigan glory-days stories from before any of them were even alive. I've heard those before. What have they done for you lately?
  • Options
    Ahhhh yes... Michigan glory-days stories from before any of them were even alive. I've heard those before. What have they done for you lately?

I think it is fair to say YOU are an OSU fan- which is fine- if you are truly an OSU fan, you would know what happened to Michigan in the game with Ohio State in 1968. This was the game that clearly made Ohio State the front runner for the National Title- before the Rosebowl game against USC- of course, I would rather talk about the Illinois game that nearly cost the Buckeyes the 1968 National Championship- blowing a 24-0 lead against a team that lost 58-8 to ND earlier- it doesn't get any better than that...

Consider developing a respect for the events, players and coaches that made both Ohio State and Michigan that happened before today

• Options
    At least LSU fans only have to go back a few years to talk about great victories.
  • Options
    So what do you think of Rich Rodriguez? I love him. image
  • Options
    Did you get the score of the 1968 OSU-Michigan game yet?

How about the 1969 game?

• Options
    Rodriguez is a good Coach

Some coaches move on and leave positions they were better suited to handle. There are some jobs that no matter what you do- the legacy that exists can never be matched- do you want to follow Woody, Bo , Bear or JoePa? I would rather create my own legacy- examples? Hayden Fry at Iowa, Bill Snyder at Kansas State and even Gary Barnett at Northwestern- he never should have left

I understand Rodriguez did not follow Bo, but he stepped into a program that expects perfection and that is tough to deliver... for anyone

• Options
    I am just glad that Rodriguez said no to Alabama.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    PayRod is a Joke.

He has turned UM into a complete JOKE.

The OSU-M game isn't even a contest these days. I almost feel bad for UM for blowing as bad as they do.

They're evolving into the Big10 whipping boy.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

edited to add:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I still remember where I was that day... ahhh such a fond memory. image
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, can you agree that if this Coinkat character posts a pic of himself wearing nothing but a Michigan Speedo while striking the Heisman pose like Desmond Howard, that you'll remove your pic?

edited to add that after thinking it over, wearing just a Speedo wouldn't be very classy. He would also need to wear an old leather helmet and have two gold coins glued to his nipples.
  • Options
    I would agree to those terms. What do you say, coinkat?
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...all this talk about teams that have won championships once each in the last 40 years!!! One had to split it with a Nebraska team that probably would have destroyed them in a true final game, and the other one that needed a couple of overtimes and questionable flag to win the game!! Hilarious! It still makes me laugh when people talk about Big-10 football! image
  • Options
    Touché... lol
  • Options
    LOL....Michigan Blows.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow...all this talk about teams that have won championships once each in the last 40 years!!! One had to split it with a Nebraska team that probably would have destroyed them in a true final game, and the other one that needed a couple of overtimes and questionable flag to win the game!! Hilarious! It still makes me laugh when people talk about Big-10 football! image >>

Charles woodson and co. wouldve killed nebraska in 97.

ohio state has won 2 national championships last 40 years.
  • Options
    Alabama has won 5 in the last 40 years
  • Options

<< <i>I still remember where I was that day... ahhh such a fond memory. image >>

Oddly enough, I do too...I was in Ohio visiting family...same day that Clay Buchholz pitched his no hitter if I remember correctly.

There were a lot of happy family members that day...and I got a kick out of it too because App State is my alma mater's big rival...

I hate OSU and Michigan though...as a Miami fan, I don't like losing National Championships to a ref.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate OSU and Michigan though...as a Miami fan, I don't like losing National Championships to a ref. >>

Oh yeah, I loved that day too... we almost broke the floor in my brother's living room from everyone jumping up and down... lol

I still throw in the DVD of the 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and fast-forward to Will Allen's tackle... "back, and to the left" image

• Options

<< <i>ohio state has won 2 national championships last 40 years. >>

Since 1968 is longer than 40 years,(apparently you are not living in 2010 like the rest of us!)...I wasn't including that one. But if it makes you feel good about yourself then yes...2 in 42 years!

BUT...they do have twice the number of LOSES in championship games in that time span!!
  • Options

<< <i>I still throw in the DVD of the 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and fast-forward to Will Allen's tackle... "back, and to the left" image >>

I cringe everytime I see that. I snapped my ACL, MCL, and PCL, and tore off my knee cap in high school. Similar injury in a similar manner, but my knee buckled inside and I landed with my left ankle on my left hip.
  • Options
    No...

Not a good direction for the thread

By the way- did you have the chance to look at the back to back games from 1968 and 1969?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ohio state has won 2 national championships last 40 years. >>

Since 1968 is longer than 40 years,(apparently you are not living in 2010 like the rest of us!)...I wasn't including that one. But if it makes you feel good about yourself then yes...2 in 42 years!

>>

uh, no i said 40 not 42 years. They also won the national championship in 1970.

Woody Hayes won 5 national championships.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just announced today that the newly remodeled stadium has a capacity of 109,901. >>

Penn State's Beaver Stadiums Attendance Records:

Rank Attendance Date Game result
    1 110,753 Sept. 14, 2002 Penn State 40, Nebraska 7
    2 110,134 Oct. 27, 2007 Ohio State 37, Penn State 17
    3 110,078 Sept. 8, 2007 Penn State 31, Notre Dame 10
    4 110,033 Nov. 7, 2009 Ohio State 24, Penn State 7
    5 110,017 Oct. 18, 2008 Penn State 46, Michigan 17
    6 110,007 Oct. 14, 2006 Michigan 17, Penn State 10
    7 109,865 Nov. 5, 2005 Penn State 35, Wisconsin 14
    8 109,845 Nov. 22, 2008 Penn State 49, Michigan State 18
    9 109,839 Oct. 8, 2005 Penn State 17, Ohio State 10
    10 109,754 Oct. 13, 2007 Penn State 38, Wisconsin 7
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    OSU won the National Championship in 1970? Which National Championship was this? The AP ranked Nebraska as the National Champion as they gave out their final poll after the bowl games, during which Texas (#1) and OSU (#2) both lost (wow - there's a shock). The UPI gave their title to the Texas Longhorns, since they gave it out before the bowl games, and Texas was #1 at that time. Maybe the Columbus Gazette ranked OSU #1 in their final poll, so the Buckeyes claim that one.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>OSU won the National Championship in 1970? Which National Championship was this? The AP ranked Nebraska as the National Champion as they gave out their final poll after the bowl games, during which Texas (#1) and OSU (#2) both lost (wow - there's a shock). The UPI gave their title to the Texas Longhorns, since they gave it out before the bowl games, and Texas was #1 at that time. Maybe the Columbus Gazette ranked OSU #1 in their final poll, so the Buckeyes claim that one. >>

What he said! image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    And it houses one of the worst teams in the Big Ten! image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One had to split it with a Nebraska team that probably would have destroyed them in a true final game[/quote]
    You mean the Nebraska team that only went undefeated because the refs ignored the illegality of the game-tying catch against mediocre Missouri?

Am a Michigan guy, through and through, but as I get older the hate for Ohio State lessens just a little bit. Now it's just really, really strong dislike, LOL.

People crap on RichRod and the job he's done at Michigan. Of course, they ignore that Lloyd Carr left him absolutely nothing to work with when he retired. Nothing at all. Then Rodriguez is left to overhaul an entire program with the leftovers from a team that ran a completely different system. Yeah, you're going to struggle doing that (though losing to App State is still not acceptable - even if App State that year would have been favored against half of 1-A...)

Anyway, I love Michigan football and can't wait for the season to start.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>OSU won the National Championship in 1970? Which National Championship was this? The AP ranked Nebraska as the National Champion as they gave out their final poll after the bowl games, during which Texas (#1) and OSU (#2) both lost (wow - there's a shock). The UPI gave their title to the Texas Longhorns, since they gave it out before the bowl games, and Texas was #1 at that time. Maybe the Columbus Gazette ranked OSU #1 in their final poll, so the Buckeyes claim that one. >>

Do your homework. Ohio state is credited with 7 national championships. Their 6th championship came in 1970 when they won a share of the national championship by the NFF.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Oh, I see. I saw it beforehand. But it is just such a rinkydink title that it means virtually nothing. Much like the 1961 "National Championship" that OSU claims from 1961 when it got the FWAA and PS titles, while Alabama went undefeated and won all of the others. Or the 1957 title when OSU won the UPI because UPI wouldn't recognize a team on probation, even though Auburn was clearly the best team in the country. Or the 1944 "National Championship" when Army was the consensus National Champion and clearly had the best team in the nation. And 1933, when you won the "Dunkel System" National Championship, while Michigan won the consensus title (and beat OSU 13-0 while at it).

So let's talk about how many REAL National Titles OSU has won. In 1942 they split the titles with Georgia. OK, fair enough. We'll give them credit for one. In 1954 you went undefeated and won a few choices, but UCLA got most of them. In 1968 you won most of the titles while going undefeated. This is a year where you are the consensus champion. And in 2002 you were given the National Title by the referees against the Miami Hurricanes. So, I see two consensus titles (68 and 02), and two titles that you shared 50/50 (42 and 54). Any other years that OSU won some sort of title (33, 44, 57, 61, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75) are just pipe dreams. They are as valuable as the titles that Texas and Georgia 'won' in 1968, when Georgia was 8-1-2 and OSU was undefeated. They are just silly. Anybody can give anybody a championship. Kinda like boxing.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, I see. I saw it beforehand. But it is just such a rinkydink title that it means virtually nothing. Much like the 1961 "National Championship" that OSU claims from 1961 when it got the FWAA and PS titles, while Alabama went undefeated and won all of the others. Or the 1957 title when OSU won the UPI because UPI wouldn't recognize a team on probation, even though Auburn was clearly the best team in the country. Or the 1944 "National Championship" when Army was the consensus National Champion and clearly had the best team in the nation. And 1933, when you won the "Dunkel System" National Championship, while Michigan won the consensus title (and beat OSU 13-0 while at it).

So let's talk about how many REAL National Titles OSU has won. In 1942 they split the titles with Georgia. OK, fair enough. We'll give them credit for one. In 1954 you went undefeated and won a few choices, but UCLA got most of them. In 1968 you won most of the titles while going undefeated. This is a year where you are the consensus champion. And in 2002 you were given the National Title by the referees against the Miami Hurricanes. So, I see two consensus titles (68 and 02), and two titles that you shared 50/50 (42 and 54). Any other years that OSU won some sort of title (33, 44, 57, 61, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75) are just pipe dreams. They are as valuable as the titles that Texas and Georgia 'won' in 1968, when Georgia was 8-1-2 and OSU was undefeated. They are just silly. Anybody can give anybody a championship. Kinda like boxing. >>

Gee, a debate in college football lol? Never heard of that one.

Whether you agree or not, it is in the record books that ohio state has 7 national championships. Many other teams have shared championships and doesnt take anything away from them. In 1970 3 teams split the national title. Ohio state, nebraska, and texas. However only 2 of those teams,(OSU, and nebraska) were givin the title after the bowls were played.

Many felt in 1970 that Notre dame should have been awarded the national title because they beat #1 texas in the cotton bowl. But being there was and still is no playoff, it always makes a good debate.
  • Options
    Days since Michigan’s last victory over Ohio State in football: 2433

image ~ and counting.
  • Options
    And how many days will pass until Ohio State is .500 against Michigan in their rivalry?

• Options
    As for seating capacity- it seems we are talking about seats and not standing room.

As for attendance records- Soldier's Field in Chicago- 1929- USC and ND- that was over 120,000