Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My "coin collection"

Well folks I just found this forum and its pretty cool.
I have been "collecting" for a few years.

I don't really have anything worth anything I don't believe.

About $1000 face value of statehood quarters of all types of condition. Not sure if I shoud even hold onto these.
About $300 of copper pennies non I think are MS Worth keeping?
About $10 in mercury diems passed to me. Nothing better then VF I think
About $15 in silver roosevelts nothing better then VF
Silver quarters (washington)
one liberty seated,
Some ben Franklins in MS various years (so said the dealer)
Several AU Morgans.
Gold and silver boulion.

lots of circulated world coins passed down to me.

I suppose in actuality it is all essentially junk right?

I mean the state quarters and pennies will never be worth anyhting will they/
lost cause?

thanks for keeping the forum up and obtainable. I really appreciate it. I hope to learn lots form you folks.

take care
moneycrab

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Probably not junk unless you are experienced enough to make that determination. MS Franklins for example bring a nice premium over the silver value!

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing...hope you get enjoyment regardless of their worth.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey moneycrab image

I've been "accumulating" for years and I'm still trying to get on to the next phase which is "collecting".

You've come to the right place.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I mean the state quarters and pennies will never be worth anyhting will they/
    lost cause?"

The State Quarters are certainly a lost cause, I would dump them all unless you have some unc rolls in there. As for the cents, assuming they are pre-1982 (i.e. 90% copper), I've got good news and bad news for you. The good news is they're worth double face value LINK to coinflation site, the bad news is it's illegal to melt them (for now), so no one will buy them from you.

Oh, I forgot my manners, welcome to the asylum!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    What has grabbed your attention within the coin world - a certain series, perhaps, or maybe a time period? Then I would suggest you study it for a while, then start selling portions of your present collection to begin focusing on that series or time period. You do have resources accumulated within your present holdings. Have fun, be smart and welcome to the party.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! You've found the right place to hang out and discuss coins.

You say "one liberty seated", but you don't say year/mint or denomination or condition.

A nice 1878-S Seated Liberty Half Dollar in MS-65 is worth a lot more than melt, heck I'd give you 10x face today.

Tom

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please remember that a collection, or better said, a hobby need not have inherent worth other
    than the satisfaction and enjoyment realized when you shut off the world and play with your hobby.

I spent many many years as a youngster collecting Jeff's from the 40's and 50's and wheat cents
    from pocket change. Are they "worth much" nah, but I still remember the fun trying to find that darn 50D
    or that 55 DDO.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you read through the posts on this forum, and see some the coins that other collectors post images of....youll be introduced to a whole new numismatic world. Youll also hear time and time again that literature is one of the most important things you can buy to help your collecting passions along.

Its tough to make a call on your accumulation, other that even at melt or face value, you have the opportunity to sell it all, or hone in on one aspect of what you have...and develop an interest that can prove to be long term and worthwhile.

There are collectors who thrive on quantity, sheer bulk and numbers, and then there are collectors who may only own twenty, or fifty coins...but what they have is focused and high quality. Both types of collectors enjoy what they have but in different ways. From what you are saying, it seems like you are about ready to phase out of quantity, and about ready to focus on a solid meaningful collection you can be proud of.

Do you have a Redbook? If not, thats step one toward developing a focused, meaningful collection. The one thing you DO have going for you is that it appears you have not fallen for the TV advertised coins or sunk a lot of money into common proof sets and mint sets which are a pure sucker trap.

Good luck, get focused and dont be afraid to ask for help and advice. Get a camera that can do macro and learn how to post images on this forum and youll do better here.
  • Options
    "Gold and silver boulion."

Making precious soup? image Good luck in the hobby image

Best,
    Eric
  • Options

<< <i>As you read through the posts on this forum, and see some the coins that other collectors post images of....youll be introduced to a whole new numismatic world. Youll also hear time and time again that literature is one of the most important things you can buy to help your collecting passions along.

Its tough to make a call on your accumulation, other that even at melt or face value, you have the opportunity to sell it all, or hone in on one aspect of what you have...and develop an interest that can prove to be long term and worthwhile.

There are collectors who thrive on quantity, sheer bulk and numbers, and then there are collectors who may only own twenty, or fifty coins...but what they have is focused and high quality. Both types of collectors enjoy what they have but in different ways. From what you are saying, it seems like you are about ready to phase out of quantity, and about ready to focus on a solid meaningful collection you can be proud of.

Do you have a Redbook? If not, thats step one toward developing a focused, meaningful collection. The one thing you DO have going for you is that it appears you have not fallen for the TV advertised coins or sunk a lot of money into common proof sets and mint sets which are a pure sucker trap.

Good luck, get focused and dont be afraid to ask for help and advice. Get a camera that can do macro and learn how to post images on this forum and youll do better here. >>

Yes that how I feel i have a "hoard" of stuff i feel i have worked on and try to "grade" just looking at the stuff I have. I am proud of my little collection that actually began when I was young and my mother gave me a can of coins from relatives pst. Christmas I would get silver coins of different denominations. she turned me on to the silve reagles which has been a passion over the years. She probably paid more the what they are worth who knows. they are part of MY collection.

vietmenese dong
    bannk deutscher lander
    Philipnas centavo
    british half pennies
    Euros in all denominations from 1 cent to 100 euro form various countries during my travels. I feel they are good condition worth anything? I dunno.

Yes I do have a redbook and an "ANA grading standards" book I have looked at for the past 3 years. That has good description but nothing like looking at the real thing.

I have some proof sets from mom but the prices they were labeled for never turned me on. (mom still leaves the price tag on everything).

I have been thinking about turning in some of my hoard for a 1934 maryland tercentenary but everytime I look at one I cannnot tell the difference between the $285 and the $385
    Maybe one day

crab
  • Options

<< <i>What has grabbed your attention within the coin world - a certain series, perhaps, or maybe a time period? Then I would suggest you study it for a while, then start selling portions of your present collection to begin focusing on that series or time period. You do have resources accumulated within your present holdings. Have fun, be smart and welcome to the party. >>

My mom many years ago
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome! You've found the right place to hang out and discuss coins.

You say "one liberty seated", but you don't say year/mint or denomination or condition.

A nice 1878-S Seated Liberty Half Dollar in MS-65 is worth a lot more than melt, heck I'd give you 10x face today. >>

Sorry NOT aa seated liberty
    STANDING liberty Maybe VG I dunno
  • Options

<< <i>"Gold and silver boulion."

Making precious soup? image Good luck in the hobby image

Best,
    Eric >>

;-) I dunno
  • Options

<< <i>Probably not junk unless you are experienced enough to make that determination. MS Franklins for example bring a nice premium over the silver value!

Tom >>

I hope it is ok that I am answering each post..

I have a 1953 and a 1956 P that was soldto me MS something
    1954d and 1959p in 2x2's that look like there is some powde ror something on them.
    When I get time I will start taking pictures.

crabmoneyguy
  • Options
    okracerokracer Posts: 436

<< <i>Please remember that a collection, or better said, a hobby need not have inherent worth other
    than the satisfaction and enjoyment realized when you shut off the world and play with your hobby.

>>

....I agree....nothing is "junk" if you really enjoy what you have.

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have $1300 to buy real coins with image

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the nut house have fun, Type2.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    "Sounds like you have $1300 to buy real coins with- Paul"

Well, some of those coins have been passed down to him. That's a real pedigree you can not buy!

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Where my "collection" stands now.

I went through a lot of my Staties, sorry but I am still very partial to them since I have been collecitng them for so long.

I bought a 1/10 ounce 2009 (Daughters birthdate) gold eagle with the ones I did not want. I still have many more to go through.

I am still keeping my coppers. I enjoy going through them and "grading" them on what I think they are. I have my list of what I am supposed to be looking for cams, wams, that 84 double ear I can't think of the rest (hence my list)
    I like going through the boxes of pennies I think it is educating me to be honest , and its really relaxing. If I am feeling pissy or irritated I go through about 10 - 20 rolls and am relaxed. I think thats pretty cool.

Since posting this I have come across about 40 rolls of 2010' and about 20 rolls of various 2009's.
    I have found a good source of these with folks keeping the rolls for me and actually giving me a call when they come in. Should I be keeping these in rolls or going through them also? I am not interested in flipping them if they might be worth something down the road. Or should they be flipped?

Also have a bunch of rolls of 2010 dimes
    Should I be keeping these as rolls or go through these too "grading" them and put in 2x2's or is this a waste?

I have lots of rolls of 2009 1$, several Georges, James Madisons , and some others I cannot think of off the top of my head. Again are these better to stay in rolls. A waste of time and space? I dunno.

I have been going through straps of $2 I really like them a lot. I like what they represent or what I think they represent.
    Looking for stars, repeaters,ladders, "birthday serials". I have been collecting the best specimens I can find of the various series by district. I know probably worthless but I think it is fun and educational to find creases, tears,smears etc looking for the best ones.

My Bank branches have been really cool so far. I tell them I collect and go through them and then circulate. They don't get on me about the "business acount" clause anymore. In fact the one branch says some people won't pick up their orders and have to send them back "would you like those orders too"

I love going to the toll booth with a handful of pennies, nickels and dimes everyday. It has slowed me down a bit , which I actually enjoy. I get honks and dirty looks but I don't care.

I have a friend/co worker that is as green as me but has a small morgan collection and silver eagle collection from his uncle over the years. We get together with some brews and act like we know what we are talking about. We play poker with our busted zincolns, sometimes he buys some of my coppers from me. We work in a very high stress job so small chump change and haggling over pennies is just fun.

I know most of you recommend going out and getting a "real" coin collection but seriously after reading all over this forum I think its scared me off of the hobby a little bit.
    Trying to determine fakes, dips, whizzed, what AT etc. I do not want to make any crucial mistakes in starting my hobbie/investment.
    I think I will continue to read and try to find what type of coins interest me most. I am trying to find a coin club that is local to me, so I think that would help too.

I definitely look at currency/coins very differently. The lady is even looking too. Anything that is not interesting goes to the babies piggy bank which is loaded right now. We are going to take her to her first deposit soon. It has also helped us solidify our 2010 New years resolution of using hard money to buy things.

Well I have been a little long winded with this one.

Take care all and thanks for the help and insight thus far.

Crab
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keepable:

one liberty seated,
    Several AU Morgans.
    Gold and silver bullion.

Take your time to learn about what you've got. This is a good place to start.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I would not call gold and silver bullion junk and the rest are part of our history with lessons to be learned.
  • Options

<< <i>Keepable:

one liberty seated,
    Several AU Morgans.
    Gold and silver bullion.

Take your time to learn about what you've got. This is a good place to start.

image >>

Yeah I know thats the meat of my collection the rest is worth its face.
    I just thought meybe the new stuff might be worth holding onto.
    So the new pennies and dolars and such should not be kept?
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Crab, as I am sure you know, silver is silver and will always have value. Regarding the state quarters and new coinage you are finding in change or the bank, as long as you are picking them up for face value, it really doesn't matter if they should be kept or speculation on future values etc. What matters is you are accumulating a chunk of cash and if you have no issue tying up a bit of money then you probably can't go wrong. At the very least you can take it back to the bank and possibly spend that money on a more advanced segment of the hobby. Say you really like Morgans and want to build a collection of them etc. etc.

It sounds like what you are doing is bringing you enjoyment and easing some stress and those are two great benefits of a hobby. It kinda sounds like what you are doing now is a pretty good plan. You are learning about the hobby and possibly headed on your way to find what inspires you and focus on whatever that may be in numismatics. In the mean time, you are adding money to your piggy bank (your collection) and can cash it out when the time comes. I think most if not of all of us realized at some point WOW we got too much stuff accumulated and there really isn't a central point or goal of the collection! We then move it out and now have some new funds to get serious or passionate about coin collecting.
  • Options

<< <i>Crab, as I am sure you know, silver is silver and will always have value. Regarding the state quarters and new coinage you are finding in change or the bank, as long as you are picking them up for face value, it really doesn't matter if they should be kept or speculation on future values etc. What matters is you are accumulating a chunk of cash and if you have no issue tying up a bit of money then you probably can't go wrong. At the very least you can take it back to the bank and possibly spend that money on a more advanced segment of the hobby. Say you really like Morgans and want to build a collection of them etc. etc.

It sounds like what you are doing is bringing you enjoyment and easing some stress and those are two great benefits of a hobby. It kinda sounds like what you are doing now is a pretty good plan. You are learning about the hobby and possibly headed on your way to find what inspires you and focus on whatever that may be in numismatics. In the mean time, you are adding money to your piggy bank (your collection) and can cash it out when the time comes. I think most if not of all of us realized at some point WOW we got too much stuff accumulated and there really isn't a central point or goal of the collection! We then move it out and now have some new funds to get serious or passionate about coin collecting. >>

I was thinking the same. Money I am using is my play money anyway and can be used anytime I need it. I have always loved my silver. I ave been collecitng that stuff (bullion and bars) since 01'. Might be time to turn that into someold coins I am thinking. I was on another thread where a gentleman was collecting " classic raw coins"
    Seems to catch my interest. I will probably wait untiil October or November for that though. We'll see. I plan to go to the quarterly show here locally and plan to go to the November Baltimore show. I figure when I get tired of going through the rolls and looking at the different conditions of circulated coins I can start looking at some real good stuff and become more discriminating in what I want to buy. I'll keep yall posted and maybe get some guidance here on what to look for when I pinpoint my collection goals.

thanks for the input and insight.

MC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file