Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Collector's Greed: Post your answer...

2»

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    50/50
    I'm in for the risk factor.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just enter me in the drawing.

HE>I

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No matter what you got in whatever box Perry Hall would tell you it was a counterfeit image >>

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could I use the X-Ray glasses I got with box tops when I was a kid? Oh wait...those only allowed you to see through clothing, not boxes. Sorry about that and please ignore the question...

Anyway I would pick the G4...yeah the chances at a big score are there but the G4 '16-D allows me to accomplish 2 things...one I get a nice coin for free guaranteed and two it would allow me to finish my circulated Merc dime set that I have been working on for quite some time. The MS-67 would just look out of place in the Dansco and since I am a collector I cannot easily get rid of things so it would just languish in a drawer somewhere...

K
    ANA LM
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with the chance and blow on the box's then make my pick. I did not pick up the box. image

Hoard the keys.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I know with my luck I would get the empty box, but go for it.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No matter what you got in whatever box Perry Hall would tell you it was a counterfeit image >>

Only if it were a raw gold dollar coin purchased by Ambro on eBay.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way the question is phrased it's not a 1/3 chance, if you turn down the box with the G 4 dime you get to choose one of the other two. 50/50 shot at $125 grand, value of that bet is $62,500 (over repeated chooses). I'm in!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • G4

• << <i>Ever see that TV show, "Deal or No Deal?" Where some contestant, in the beginning, will say that all they've ever wanted in the whole world is their own (blank) and they need 40K to get it?
    Then they get to a guaranteed 125K and keep going, instead. Often ending up with nothing? I can see this as a question of greed...

Oh yeah, forgot to add, - I'd go for the box! image >>

I like your style sister.imageimage I would go for the box as well. image
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Funny, last year would've gambled, this year (in present situation), I walked with the G4. Now, what we all want to hear...

(both hands supinated) "Open the case (box)"

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a good risk taker.......I'd just settle for the G-4. Either way I came out a winner, if I do the two boxes, I could come out a loser or a winner.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the ratio of gain to loss is so great, that 50% odds make the effort

a no brainer. Now if the values were 300 dollars vrs 1000 dollars and there were three

boxes ,where two were empty, I believe that you would have ended up with an even split

in opinion.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Go for the sure thing! G4 works for me!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To those of you who will take the G4, if ever the opportunity is presented to you, PLEASE allow me to trade you a VG8 for the opportunity to take one of the boxes.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if both boxs are empty? How would you even know. Remember that you are only allowed to open ONE of the boxes.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file