$1 1935C SC "Brown Signature error"?

I just saw a couple of ebay listings from a very reputable seller. The two notes I saw were PMG slabbed with a "brown signature error". Any stories on this type of an error? I've never seen this. Thanks

Brown sig error link

Edited to add link

Comments

• That's odd. Wonder if that is a true error, or if something has happened to the ink?
    Dan
    Collector of Large Size Notes

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Yeah, like I say I haven't seen these either. Since the notes are slabbed with the brown ink notation, sounds like they are a geniune BEP error.
  • TheRockTheRock Posts: 7,855 ✭✭
    Interesting ERROR. I have not heard of this before on an SC. This might be one for Laura and Lew to explain.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• JamericonJamericon Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭
    I have heard of this error before and recall there being a post a few years ago about the notes. A few (or just one...?) showed up in a CAA or Knight auction a few years ago.

Basically, the signatures were printed in brown ink similar in color to the Hawaiian brown seals, most likely because of an improperly mixed ink stock.
    Jamie Yakes--U.S. paper money collector, researcher and author. | Join the SPMC.
  • from fred bart's website:
    35C $1.00 s.c. wrong color ink
    i have not examined any "in-hand" but fred's word is good enough for me
    Collecting since 1986! Currency by Lew Dufault - Specialties: ERRORS, $2.00 FRNs, AUTOGRAPHS, FANCY #'s, SCARCE BLOCKS & STARS!
    On ebay since 1997 wwwlewdufaultcom My Ebay items SPMC Life Member #373, LICC Life Member # 65, ANA & FUN.
  • Now that makes sense Jamie. I'll bet (as you say) the brown ink used on the 1935A Hawaiian notes was pulled from the ink locker and used by mistake. I'm assuming that the "A" series Hawaiian notes were printed around 1942, curious to know when the "C" series 1935 SC's were printed. Thanks
  • BooBooBillQueenBooBooBillQueen Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this before. All of the notes are all 35C, all the M-E block, all low grade. The brown ink wasn't printed on the note- but rather "changes" into brown after circulation.
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com

• << <i>I've seen this before. All of the notes are all 35C, all the M-E block, all low grade. The brown ink wasn't printed on the note- but rather "changes" into brown after circulation. >>

Interesting Laura. So would these be considered genuine errors due to the ink being defective and turning brown after time?
  • BooBooBillQueenBooBooBillQueen Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭
    Strait question, so I will give you a strait answer. Years ago I did not like these as "error" notes at all. BUT!! After seeing enough of them, recognizing the precise color that it "changes" to, and knowing that it is specifically this series and this block, I have more confidence in calling them error notes due to ink mixture. Make sense?
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com

• << <i>Strait question, so I will give you a strait answer. Years ago I did not like these as "error" notes at all. BUT!! After seeing enough of them, recognizing the precise color that it "changes" to, and knowing that it is specifically this series and this block, I have more confidence in calling them error notes due to ink mixture. Make sense? >>

Yes mame. Thanks. Being as the "error" only occurs on this particular block, it does make sense to lean towards an ink solution issue. Really odd that notes in this block apparently were printed as black, then the turn to brown........... and that bugs me!

Thanks again for your view.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Bump for a current thread.

The ME block was printed sometime around 1948 / 1949.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” Benjamin Franklin
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭
    Intresting ????????????????
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Does anybody here have this block with a normal color signature?

I'm guessing so, as some of you guys seem to have every possible type of small size notes.

• Any more info on the brown signature error?

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Yes, I have the 1935C ME block notes circulated with brown and black ink signatures.

• JamericonJamericon Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭

These were likely altered (intentionally or not) after being circulated. The BEP never printed signatures in brown ink.

Jamie Yakes--U.S. paper money collector, researcher and author. | Join the SPMC.