Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first thread at CU and the "RETURN OF THE UGLIES" GIVEAWAY!!! WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!

So, I joined back in mid-Feb 2003, and this was my first thread.

And, whilst recently digging through stuff in my SDB I came across a Mystery Box which contained the infamous "Uglies" which was the subject of a giveaway many moons ago from Aethelred, Coulport (what happened to him?), Mongoose, and Wybrit (he's like the Eveready bunny, eh? image ).

Anyway, these coins are all Darkside, and only a blind mother could love 'em, and it's time to pass them along.

The giveaway coins are as follows:

Aethelred - 1921 George V florin in Ugly VG (actually just an avg. circ.)
Coulport - a large chunk of Mexican heritage in the form of a 1959 peso.
Mongoose - a 1910 ha'penny which defines "burnished", and a well-commerced 1915 1/2d.
Wybrit - a nice pocket piece which he probably carried since he picked it up at the teller's window in 1921 at the Royal Chelsea Bank located near Arsenal and Man U. Mall. imageimage

I'll add a mystery ugly or two in keeping with these atrocities of yesteryear, so enter at your own peril. image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, count me in. If I get it, I will add something scary of my own and then pass the giveaway on yet again. image

PS- congrats on the milestone. Seven years is a long time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect ugly coins! Seriously, I am saving coins that look like they have been run over by a truck.

I know this is not a US forum, but this baby is so smashed you can barely tell that it was a US cent at one point image

Out ugly THAT why don't you? image

Seriously, that is the star of my ugly collection. And I love it.

OK, I'm not saying I don't need professional help here image

The coins in the giveaway don't sound bad to me. Please consider this scatterbrained post as my entry!

I personally hate reading my early posts on any forum. Sometimes I read some of the crap I have posted and literally cringe. Since I was 15 years old, in 2000, I've posted on about 200 message boards to a total of something like 100,000 posts. (Including yahoo groups). What can I say, I have more time on my hands then I know what to do with. image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please enter me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please enter me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, I joined back in mid-Feb 2003, and this was my first thread.

>>

Don't enter me, but what was the freaking grade of that 1799 1/2d in your first thread? You never revealed it!image I'm guessing MS66 RB, even if there's no brown to be seen.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Dimitri on this one - what was the freaking grade???? image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you're still among the vertical, MacMus!!

Please enter me in the giveaway for that ugly 1799 penny.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    I showed an image of the OGH insert which was apparently killed in the archival process. Thankfully Cosmic tweaked and enlarge the original image which he must still be hosting. Anyway, the "original" PCGS grade was MS64RD. Of course, it was nicer than a 64, but not a 66. The images do not show some fine chatter here and there which I believe precluded a 66. As a result of all the above I sent the coin for a "guesstimate" at the guys ATS.

They scored it an MS65RD, I enjoyed it another 2 years or so, and then sold it major dealer for a tidy profit. image

BTW, that halfpenny has sold again for another 100% profit (over my sell price) in the past few years. Oh, and the coin was much, much more of a frosty, blazing red than my crummy image indicates.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coin- now I feel guilty for not responding but I have a viable excuse based on the time frame.

Welcome aboard...

Better late than not at all

I am not entering... there are more deserving folks

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Count me inimage
  • Options
    Hurry! Hurry! Last chance to enter this giveaway is by 8pm, 4/4. image
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    I have been cajoled into entering the ugly giveaway. Thanks for the chance, I think....
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Sounds like a fine giveaway! Please enter me as well!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    It seems like yesterday when Mac came on board. Since then, he has been torturing me with pictures of his fabulous coins that are housed in his vast underground environmentally controlled vault that is guarded 24/7 by a cadre of the best mercenaries money can buy.

Don't enter me, just had to get a comment in. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems like yesterday when Mac came on board. Since then, he has been torturing me with pictures of his fabulous coins that are housed in his vast underground environmentally controlled vault that is guarded 24/7 by a cadre of the best mercenaries money can buy.

Don't enter me, just had to get a comment in. image >>

Yeah, it's been a few days, eh?

cadre? mercenaries? image

BTW, the random number generator popped up the name of some clown named, ajaan!!!

ajaan, send me a PM to confirm your addy................just in case you've moved to the state house in Albany?

BTW, ajaan was only entered once.