Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just realized that I have a fear of collecting copper

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
Especially red copper. I was looking at some of the sweet tokens posted here recently, and started to have the urge to get one or two for myself. That old voice came back to mind again that said "don't do it" to me over and over in my head. I am deep down afraid that the coin will turn on me in the holderimage

I think this might be due to a childhood event where I had a proof lincoln develop a huge spot relatively quick. Also I live near the coast and worry the salt air might be dangerous.

Anyone else here scared to collect red or red brown copper? Do you have copperophobia? Maybe we could start a self help clinicimage-------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conquer your fear...learn to love brown copper. Many pieces are beautiful. I'd suggest building a milk chocolate collection.
  • Just go small in your purchases for abit and get a feel for the metal and your enviro. See where it leads without a big risk.image I love copper, but raw copper.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I will try sleeping with a proof 63RD 1964 cent under my pillow just to see if it gives me nightmares-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • lol, sounds like fun. But, if your significant other sees it, they might think something strange......

Well........... You are a coin collector after all.......image
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Conquer your fear...learn to love brown copper. Many pieces are beautiful. I'd suggest building a milk chocolate collection. >>

I agree, I find brown copper to be much more satisfying vs. red copper where the smallest imperfection can wreck the eye appeal of the coin.

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your fears and they are worth considering.
    I don't worry nearly as much now that I store all of my coins in airtight plastic containers.
    Get some Rubbermaid or other similar containers from Walmart and put a box of silica gel in there with them.

I also toss some new red lincolns in the bottom of the box as sacrificial pieces.
    If you use a box of silica gel with a color coded indicator you will notice you rarely have to recharge it.
    This is because the box is airtight.

I don't worry nearly as much now. image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm paranoid about Red, and collect chocolate brown copper. It also depends on where you live, I live at or below sea level in a high humidity area. Losing thousands on a color change would ruin my day.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it as "chocolate" and look for that, BigE image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Dessicant and a nice archival box are your best friends
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have learned to love nice chocolate brown copper pieces. I too am scared of RED and Time. image

That said, I collect mostly gold to avoid that issue. image
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    There is a term for that, but I've misplaced my DSM.image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for the gold
    LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file