Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should there be a "Coin Dealers licences?" Again.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
Accountability on both sides of the fence would help. One side, some of them, needs to be straight shooters if they even know how to do this and the other side has to get some knowledge before jumping in and buying with both feet before they judge the other side.

In 30 years I have just as many beefs with collectors habits and judgement as I do with the dealer side. Go figure.

Ken

Comments

• my reply to this thread is the same as the other thread... image

Sure...it works real well for Wall Street... the Banking industry... the Insurance industry... and of course, all liscensed Auto Mechanics are above board and above reproach... let us not forget Lawyers... none of them are shady... and then there's Real Estate agents... no shadiness there... heck, the list is endless... (edited to add Accountants... can't forget them image )

Regulation... that is always the answer... cleans up everything all nice and tidy...

So let's see how this will work...

We can administer a series of tests...

Ethics... by Andy Lustig

Grading... by TDN

Hygiene... by Longacre

Coolness factor... by CCU

Numismatic History... by QDB

Political correctness... by WTCG

Proper use of spell check... by Legend

etc etc etc... imageimage

Me? I'll just sit back and laugh image

Jeez... the lack of common sense displayed by so much of humanity... it simply astounds me... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez... the lack of humanity displayed by so much common sense... it simply astounds me...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fishing license is important but it never caught me a fish.

• << <i>Jeez... the lack of humanity displayed by so much common sense... it simply astounds me... >>

cute... this from the Barber Quarter expert... imageimageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Sure the govt could use more money image
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a hobby.....image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• why limit it to coin dealers ?

expand it to salespeople - anyone who sells anything, should be bonded, licensed with yearly fees and required 40 hours continuing education of approved material - which can only be completed at workshops that typically cost $100+/hr
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    You start this thread again and didn't correct the spelling of license?
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Licensing coin dealers would not necessarily filter out the dealers who may not act in a totally ethical manner.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I second the "it's a hobby" response.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I second the "it's a hobby" response. >>

I third the " it's a hobby " reponse...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It may be a hobby for us, but it's still a business.
    sorry, i was working off one cup of coffee image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Why don't we just cut to the chase and require everyone to get a license to think out loud. That way we will only have good thoughts.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>Why don't we just cut to the chase and require everyone to get a license to think out loud. That way we will only have good thoughts. >>

That will solve the deficit problems.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a business license does that count!!! image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my reply to this thread is the same as the other thread... image; >>

What exactly does this mean? "and then there's Real Estate agents... no shadiness there." What's your beef with RE agents?
    And by the way, it should be --then there are, not is.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    If there were coin dealer licenses, every wannabe dealer in the country would be wearing a dog collar with his license proudly displayed.

Ray
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    You should need a license to buy coins
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I say, Yes: they should be licensed. You might consider running a poll.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we have seen from history the coin business is regulated somewhat by the Federal Trade Commission. Because the industry is small, to date self regulation has staved off additional government regulation. To the extent the industry can implement more effective self regulation (i.e. a more effective PNG cracking down on coin docs, the "coin posse" clamping down on boilerplate sellers), the less likely the feds will interfere with oppressive, ineffective, and inefficient regulation.

• << <i>A fishing license is important but it never caught me a fish. >>

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you will not have to listen to his incessant whining about how hungry he is.”—Author unknown

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you can sell him fishing equipment.”—Author unknown

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.”—Author unknown

“Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Unless he doesn't like sushi—then you also have to teach him to cook.”—Auren Hoffman, Herald Philosopher

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day.”—OldFox

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”—Author unknown

• << <i>

<< <i>my reply to this thread is the same as the other thread... image; >>

What exactly does this mean? "and then there's Real Estate agents... no shadiness there." What's your beef with RE agents?
    And by the way, it should be --then there are, not is. >>

Sit on a soggy cornflake and twirl... image
  • How about this... The govt is up all our collective asses enough dont ya think?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again I would say no- This is a hobby and the government has more important things to do- a comprehensive energy policy would be great for starters - but we won't go there. I will be good and not get on the soap box

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

This discussion has been closed.