Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritage is going to force the use of the "new" search feature starting March 10th

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Just curious how others feel about this? I know when they first created it, most preferred the old method.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the new one, but the old one sucked IMO. Maybe change is good.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with change when it is necessary but this change is not and is for the worse. If anyone from heritage is listening please do not switch.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted "don't care" because I don't but will acknowledge that I have been using the new search method for quite some time.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the want list button on every listing?

Oh, I like the old search best.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I still like the old one better.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope no one's still using Windows98!! (I was until a few months ago)image
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i voted don't care because I didn't even know there was a new search feature, either i'm using it already or I guess I'll see it after March 10
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like heritage but dont care for thier web site in the least bit
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I have resisted the new since it was first introduced, don't like it.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with RWB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....SO..........am i to understand you people DON'T like CHANGE???image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    old.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I have always found the old system easier to use, but I'm sure that the new system will be just fine too.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's too bad. I use the old search system 19 out of every 20 searches. The new one is kind of a PITA to drill down to where I want to be with each click requiring the data to refresh each time
  • Options
    I'm sorry to learn that my choice of searches will be taken away. For those who don't like the prospect, I encourage you to contact Heritage (as I have done) and let them know.image
  • Options
    I often refer to their archives as a reference... I just went there to do a simple search... 1910 Barber Half VF... with the old system I get a complete list of ALL VF's from 20-35... with the new system, I get one hit for a VF details coin... I had to put in a specific grade to get other results...

Perhaps they wish to discourage the use of their site for research... with the new system it will be a much more time consuming task... at least for grades with numerous numbers attached, such as VF and AU...

I do not like the look of the new system nor the manner in which it operates...

That is the way of "progress"... all must be changed... nothing can remain the same... even if it works just fine...

I suppose the next "innovation" will be charging people to use their site for research... but then, who on earth (or in the known universe) would consider doing such a thing? imageimage

Ah yes... the joy of living in a "free" society... image

yeah yeah... I know... everything costs money... somebody's gotta pay... so what I wonder is... if nothing is free... why do we keep referring to our society as a "free society"? Heck, it is even getting to where complaining publicly is to risk punishment. Take this post, for instance... it is probably right on the borderline of acceptable posting practices here... who knows... might end up being my last post here... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the new search. It's way to "busy" and is not easy on the eyes. I believe the poll here speaks for general feeling. Come on Heritage, take the hint from the common folk.........they do not like the new search!!! Drop the idea!!!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I like the old one, LEAVE IT
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I have a tshirt that says "Hows that hope and change working out for ya?"

I like the old.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

OLD !!!
  • Options
    I just sent this email to Heritage:

"Dear (names omitted to protect the guilty),

I don't know whether it's true, that beginning later next month, customers will no longer be able to use the older auction archives search feature. If that is the plan, however, I ask that you reconsider it, and, in fact, drop it.

I have raved about your auction archives to people for years, due to the wealth of information readily available and its ease of use. But the newer version is more cumbersome, time consuming and frustrating to many users, based on the searches that they typically perform.

Here is a link to a Collector's Universe poll on the subject. While statistically insignificant, I would bet that it is close enough to accurate to make its point.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=765022

Sincerely,
    Mark Feld"
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Is the auction archives a financial benefit to Heritage, or is it more of a professional courtesy to maintain it, must cost them some $$ to run?----------------------BigE

Edited to say: Don't get me wrong, I like the old feature much better, just wondering if the new setup is more beneficial to Heritage for some reason
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I like the old much better...hopefully they will reconsider...
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Please let us stay on the old Search system. New search feature is not user friendly. For reference, I am computer friendly and am comfortable with change. Having both systems is ok.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I pm'd forum member swhuck (Heritage staff member) asking him to have Heritage reconsider this move if they are indeed carrying it out and I suggest others do the same if you don't like the new search feature.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I'm with the "old search" crowd.
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options

<< <i>So can the op please state exactly where he sees this change announced in writing? >>

Realone --- Go to Heritage site... log in... then click on "switch to old search style" and a pop up message will appear. If you are already in the "old search" mode, you will need to switch to the "new version" and then switch back to the "old" in order to get the pop up...

But, hey.... you're not worried... right? imageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    SeaEagleCoins:

What you’re running across is the differing way that keywords work on the new search against the old, in that the search functions on the old search are open-ended and those on the new search are exact.

For example, if you use the search term you mention, “1910 Barber Half VF”, in the old search, you are going to get all VF coins regardless of VF grade, but you will also get all 1910, 1910-D, AND 1910-S coins. Once you make that search, there is no way to refine the search; you can sort it, but that’s all.

In contrast, under the new search, you can perform the search “1910 Barber Half”, and the results you receive will include only 1910-dated coins, with no 1910-D or 1910-S included. A single click on the left side of the page, on “VF20-VF35” under “Coin Grade” will refine your search to exactly what you want – 1910 Barbers minted in Philadelphia with any VF grade. From there, you can refine the results further if you like; for instance, you can put in a filter to look for only PCGS coins.

Here is a link to the search results I mention: http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ne=16&Ntt=1910+barber+half&Ntk=SI_Titles&N=51+790+231+64

The new search is faster, and far, far more powerful than the old one. We know that there are differences, and we know that there will be cheese moved. But once you get used to it you won’t want to go back.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions at 800-872-6467 x1355, or at stewarth@ha.com.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>SeaEagleCoins:

What you’re running across is the differing way that keywords work on the new search against the old, in that the search functions on the old search are open-ended and those on the new search are exact.

For example, if you use the search term you mention, “1910 Barber Half VF”, in the old search, you are going to get all VF coins regardless of VF grade, but you will also get all 1910, 1910-D, AND 1910-S coins. Once you make that search, there is no way to refine the search; you can sort it, but that’s all.

In contrast, under the new search, you can perform the search “1910 Barber Half”, and the results you receive will include only 1910-dated coins, with no 1910-D or 1910-S included. A single click on the left side of the page, on “VF20-VF35” under “Coin Grade” will refine your search to exactly what you want – 1910 Barbers minted in Philadelphia with any VF grade. From there, you can refine the results further if you like; for instance, you can put in a filter to look for only PCGS coins.

Here is a link to the search results I mention: http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ne=16&Ntt=1910+barber+half&Ntk=SI_Titles&N=51+790+231+64

The new search is faster, and far, far more powerful than the old one. We know that there are differences, and we know that there will be cheese moved. But once you get used to it you won’t want to go back.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions at 800-872-6467 x1355, or at stewarth@ha.com. >>

Stewart, even if Heritage thinks that the new search function is better, why not allow those who prefer the old one to be able to continue using it?
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Trying to be reasonable about this, I first encountered the "new" version of the search at Heritage some time ago, perhaps 12-18 months or even more. My immediate reaction was to try to navigate with it to look stuff up like I usually do, incidently, barber halves. What I found was that I had difficulty finding my way and liked the more direct access to their listing of barber halves that I could get to with fewer mouse clicks, which generally brings up only a screen or two of the items available. For some series, the list would be much longer. At any given time, it isn't hard for me to look over the list that comes up with the old search.

I understand the idea for the new and more powerful search, and for some series it works better. I just tried it again and found that it wasn't all that irritating, perhaps it's the same and I just did better this time, or perhaps they've improved the design and flow so it is easier to use.

The one time that I found the search to be problematic in the past, was in Auction Archives. If I wanted to look up the auction prices for a date and mintmark that was a Philadelphia coin, I would get coins of all mint marks, which was a bit of a pain to deal with. It sounds as though the new search feature will fix that.

All in all, I find the Heritage web site to be an amazing resource to find coins and to look up values of auctioned items, among other benefits. They seem to be a very savvy organization and provide a lot of value on their web site for free, but it also helps them with their marketing. That's smart.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the issue isn't searching, but just looking at the auction lots. Way too much crap on the screen using the "new" search. My issues have nothing to do with "searching", but this is the term Heritage uses. Perhaps the new search is better if you want to look something up, but it is horrible for looking at lots in general.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    But once you get used to it you won’t want to go back.

That was my experience.
  • Options

<< <i>SeaEagleCoins:

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions at 800-872-6467 x1355, or at stewarth@ha.com. >>

Stewart --- Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed response. I will check out the new search option again tonite... apparently there are ways to use it that I was not aware of. In all fairness, I am not exactly a computer whiz image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Realone- LOL, you misspelled a few words maybeimage

I just think the new system is to busy, i like plain and simple. While the new system is most likely superior the old system, i perfer looking and spending money on the old format.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭
    I've been using the new search method for a while now. One I got used to it, I liked it.

..Tom

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    I have tried the new one, but still prefer the old search feature. Sorry to see it have to go.

john
  • Options
    Who are they "forcing" to use it?

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the guided navigation. I have tried it, I find it a pain in the rear. Typically I look at the coins at Heritage coming up once per week. I'm pretty sure I will visit less frequently when the new system is implemented.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't like the guided navigation. I have tried it, I find it a pain in the rear. Typically I look at the coins at Heritage coming up once per week. I'm pretty sure I will visit less frequently when the new system is implemented. >>

Perhaps the disgruntled folks will feel compelled to pay up for CoinFacts now. image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    swhuck, thanks for posting...

I checked it out and I am one of those who definitely like the old way better so far...

For example, since I'm working on a Mint set of a specific date (1909), I regularly search Heritage for "1909" and I like that all of the 1909 coins come up, regardless of the grade and/or mintmark. Now with the new search I'll have to run searches for "1909" "1909-D" "1909-S" and "1909-O" to get the same information??? Is that correct, or is there another way instead of doing 4 searches. Thanks, I'm willing to learn the new way, but I'm not going to like it very much if it take me 4 times as long to get what I want.

Also, under the old search my search appeared to search against the 8,481 items currently listed as Bid/Buy items. in the new search the same search appeard to only look at 1,881 "all rare coins" items. Seems like in the new search that I'm missing out on a lot of potential hits????
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't like the guided navigation. I have tried it, I find it a pain in the rear. Typically I look at the coins at Heritage coming up once per week. I'm pretty sure I will visit less frequently when the new system is implemented. >>

Perhaps the disgruntled folks will feel compelled to pay up for CoinFacts now. image >>

No way!
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I REALLY like their old search feature. Never cared much for the new one, but it seems like BOTH would keep a lot of people happy. The only change I trust is the kind that jingles in my pocket.
  • Options

<< <i>SeaEagleCoins:

Thank you, again, Stewart...

OK... I just went to your site and tried out the new search feature with the added info you have provided. Eh...it will take some time to get used to it... I am very uncomfortable with it right now... but since no one has a choice (other than to simply not utilize your site), I suppose most folks will just muddle along and hopefully get comfortable with this new navigation. After all, the archives are provided as a free service and it is a very useful one, at that. image
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>swhuck, thanks for posting...

I checked it out and I am one of those who definitely like the old way better so far...

For example, since I'm working on a Mint set of a specific date (1909), I regularly search Heritage for "1909" and I like that all of the 1909 coins come up, regardless of the grade and/or mintmark. Now with the new search I'll have to run searches for "1909" "1909-D" "1909-S" and "1909-O" to get the same information??? Is that correct, or is there another way instead of doing 4 searches. Thanks, I'm willing to learn the new way, but I'm not going to like it very much if it take me 4 times as long to get what I want.

Also, under the old search my search appeared to search against the 8,481 items currently listed as Bid/Buy items. in the new search the same search appeard to only look at 1,881 "all rare coins" items. Seems like in the new search that I'm missing out on a lot of potential hits???? >>

There is absolutely a way to do your "1909" search, and we implemented it because we know people look for specific years. By default, you are searching under "Titles", which means that you're looking for the term "1909" in the short description of the coin. Instead of "Titles", use "US Coin Year" from the dropdown list. This brings up all matching US coins with the date 1909 (or whatever you're looking for). (This kind of search does not work on world coins; we don't have/haven't parsed the necessary data.)

The second thing you mention probably has to do with the fact that we just today posted the Fort Worth ANA auction, and that the build for the new search hasn't (or hadn't) happened yet. Try it again tomorrow, and let me know if you're still running across the same thing.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Stewart, is it a lot more costly to continue to offer both search features? And/or is there another (non-secret) reason that Heritage wishes to discontinue the old one, despite its popularity? Thanks.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am compelled to ask:

Why do websites have to change once I finally figure out how they work?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I am compelled to ask:

Why do websites have to change once I finally figure out how they work? >>

I am compelled to ask:

Why do you keep figuring out how they work, thereby forcing them to make changes?image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But once you get used to it you won’t want to go back.
    That was my experience.

rephrased..................
    But, get used to it, you won’t be able to go back.
    That's the end of it!!

and time marches on leaving us little choice but to adapt, improvise and overcome. my only ponderance is that with all we have available to us nowadays as the result of ever-advancing technology it baffles me that we are ultimately left with no choice in many things when more choice is what we should have. you can put a card in a cell phone that's so tiny my old fingers can hardly grab it, and the thing stores a gig!!! why can't both features be left availableto us dinosaurs?? it can't be a case of cost, or can it??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file