Home U.S. Coin Forum

Capped Bust Half Dollar question - 1828 Large 8 (O-108 and O-109) - Are these tough to find Redbook

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a question for the CBH folks......

How tough is the 1828 Large 8 Redbook variety (O-108 and O-109) to acquire in say AU55 and 58? The reason I ask is because one (O-108 PCGS AU58) recently sold on ebay for moon money and I was trying to figure out why. The only reason I could come up with is that the coin looked PQ for the grade and likley had a good shot at upgrading. I happen to have bought quite a few CBHs from this seller who is a very well respected collector and in my opinion expert on CBHs.

Here is the link in case anyone was wondering.....1828 O-108 PCGS AU58

Thanks to everyone who cares to respond.

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are scarce but findable. Pretty tough to find at that grade level in PCGS plastic, though. This guy's auctions always seem to draw top dollar. It appears this time that the coin got caught in the crossfire of a couple of snipers who each thought that he might get it into an MS slab. Edit to add: and probably will. image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    This CBH variety usually sells for around a $1000.00 coin in this grade. The coin in the Ebay auction is exceptional and as said might regrade MS.
  • I have not seen too many 108's and 109's. I would think that they should get the same attention as the 106's and 107's do but they don't (a pair of R3's vs an R2 and an R4). That one may have gone for a wheelbarrow of cash because it is so close to a nice MS, and not because of the variety.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dave. My guess is those competing for that coin felt the coin might upgrade to MS, given the old B&M docs and MS63 grade.

PCGS figures there are only ~40 MS surviving (sq base 2, lg 8, O.108 & O.109). And wasn't 1828 the last year for large 8's?

At Long Beach and Baltimore last year NGC AU58's sold for around $1k. The coin in question sold for twice that.

I would have paid some premium for this lovely example from Kahn but nowhere near $2k. If I had been looking for years maybe I would lose my head and bid moon money to get it. Desperate need drives desperate bidding, you know?
    Lance.
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

The coin does look PQ for the grade based on the pics and the winning bidder, and apparently the underbidder felt the same way.

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    This particular PCGS 58 1828 O-108 is truly an exceptional specimen, and it has a pedigree not mentioned in the ebay description. Obviously, it has a good chance of upgrading to MS. I assure you the winning bidder knows Bust Half Dollars well. He is considered to be one of the top men in the Bust Half Dollar series.

Both the 1828 O-108 and O-109 are common R3s, and are available in circulated grades, and well up into the MS grades. PCGS 58 holdered Bust Half Dollars are very popular these days.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probable MS candidate from those pics.

Here's my AU55 for reference.
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful O-108 Goldbully......and I read that you bought it raw from JJTeaparty as an AU55, that's AWESOME!!!! image
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both the 1828 O-108 and O-109 are common R3s, and are available in circulated grades, and well up into the MS grades. PCGS 58 holdered Bust Half Dollars are very popular these days. >>

The first bust half I ever bought, probably 30 years ago, was an O-108. I still have it.

Of course, it's nowhere near as nice as the coin above... image I think I graded it as VF25.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭

I posted this in the *Busts for the weekend* thread, but think I found the VAM, discussed here. Would anyone else agree this is a O-108.R3 (Recut 8 under 1st 8)

This one seems much stronger then others I could find. (?) thanks in advance.

108 and 109 share the same obverse die. It's definitely one or the other because of the square, knobbed 2 and the large 8.

Can you show us the reverse too?
    Lance.

P.S. That looks very much like a PVC flip.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing this thread, I had to go and check out some 1828's that I hadn't gotten around to attributing...
    lo and behold, an o-108 ! ( I believe that the awesome 55 posted by goldbully is actually the 109, btw, just fer comparison...)
    Alas this is not a 58, not a shot MS....but a really nice original AU anyhow. Much sharper and less shiney than my soso pics...

• << <i> ( I believe that the awesome 55 posted by goldbully is actually the 109, btw, just fer comparison...) >>

Yep, the Goldbully beauty is indeed an O-109. Nice circular die crack on the reverse!

The link in the OP apparently has been disabled by eBay? (at least from my computer)
    Golf time!!

<< <i>

The link in the OP apparently has been disabled by eBay? (at least from my computer) >>

Yeah, I wanted to take a look to, it's gone.....I don't miss too many of the coins DK puts up, but this one was not on my radar.

One interesting thing I noticed in all three coins posted so far, there is a small bump on the bust that I took to be a tiny hit , but it's there on all three....
    it's partly raised and partly incuse....probably something dinged the die ?
    thanks Lance. yes it was in a PVC holder, for LONG time but no more. I only have these pictures right now, but the coin will likely go for grading.

and Jay, the die mark on the breast is mentioned here

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=550913 third to last post, by OK bustchaser-Jim, in attribution to a o-108. This was something I saw mentioned in my research earlier today.

I'd like to check out that thread...but it's not linkified !
    I just noticed that this thread is from last year....that explains why GAB and myself aren't able to see the original listing !
    As for the die mark, there are two things in that area and one looks like a engraving slip, a short line extending out of the drapery. The other looks like a little dig out in the middle of the bust...
    Here's a 109 I bought from the Solomon estate, through Sheridan Downey.
    Lance.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a 109 I bought from the Solomon estate, through Sheridan Downey.
    Lance.

image >>

Very nice. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

<< <i>I'd like to check out that thread...but it's not linkified !
    I just noticed that this thread is from last year....that explains why GAB and myself aren't able to see the original listing !
    As for the die mark, there are two things in that area and one looks like a engraving slip, a short line extending out of the drapery. The other looks like a little dig out in the middle of the bust... >>

that is one thing I can fix.

Link to even older 1828 bust thread
    Got her out again, and updated photos of the front and back... Looks a lot like the 109's posted here, from the back.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add my raw O-108
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file