Home Precious Metals
Options

Stopped by the B&M at lunch

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
He had four fresh-from-NGC AU liberties. Various flavors, from 50 to 58. $1200 for either of the 50s, $1350 for the 58, IIRC.

He also had a PCGS OGH MS63 1927 saint that was drop dead gorgeous. Healthy strike, blazing luster under a thick coppery skin. No marks in the field or on liberty. Original price tag on it said 12/96: $700! He offered it to me at $1400 and I was *this* close to running to the bank. And then I noticed it had a pin-hole dig about 9:00. It was so perfect it didn't even look out of place until the 4th time I picked the coin up. But I couldn't bring myself to buy a coin I knew I'd be unhappy with down the road. What a shame. In my 35 years of collecting I've never owned a saint, and this one would have been a keeper image
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He had four fresh-from-NGC AU liberties. Various flavors, from 50 to 58. $1200 for either of the 50s, $1350 for the 58, IIRC.

He also had a PCGS OGH MS63 1927 saint that was drop dead gorgeous. Healthy strike, blazing luster under a thick coppery skin. No marks in the field or on liberty. Original price tag on it said 12/96: $700! He offered it to me at $1400 and I was *this* close to running to the bank. And then I noticed it had a pin-hole dig about 9:00. It was so perfect it didn't even look out of place until the 4th time I picked the coin up. But I couldn't bring myself to buy a coin I knew I'd be unhappy with down the road. What a shame. In my 35 years of collecting I've never owned a saint, and this one would have been a keeper image >>

That "pin-hole dig" is why this Saint was a 63 rather that a much higher and less affordable grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    The date and grade is a very common one. Wait for a better example.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know it was the dig that kept it from a higher grade--but since it was an OGH I thought maybe it was an crack out candidate @64. Maybe, maybe even a 65.

Oh well. It's not that I was looking for a saint. And I think my buddy Guru could hook me up with something special if I was really in the market. But you should have seen the glow beneath the skin on this one...
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I know you posted $700 in MS63 around 1996, I was buying PCGS 64's I believe around 1998-1999 for $450 when gold hit the lows.......

If we could only go back and have bought more......
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    A dealer friend of mine just sold 10 ms64's for 1400 each---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up my first 08 no motto (NGC 64):

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to own some old old but the price is too much!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.