Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Crown-sized coins featuring a bat?

Can anyone suggest any coins, preferably crown-sized, that features a bat design? The cooler the bat image, the better?. (This would be part of a set I'm putting together for my child, so I'd like to be able to locate any suggested coin for $50 or less.)
"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!

I tried looking for any coin with a wild turkey on it and could not find one.
    The closest I came was a New Orleans Mardi Gras token on Ebay.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Try either http://www.wcoins.com/Default.htm or http://www.blackmountaincoins.com/c/BMC/MAMMAL-COINS.html (danglen is a member on the boards). Hope this helps!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭
    Both worthwhile sites, but sadly no help on a Bat Crown.
    Thanks for the link James. That coin doesn't quite make it to Crown-Sized (being a mimic of a 2 Euro coin), and no offense to the Trannistrian Revolutionary Movement but I was hoping to hold out for a "real country" image I'm also aware of the recent Australian Dollar coin featuring "Ghost Bat", but it too is undersized. I wonder when Liberia, Cook Islands, or Palau will fill the crying need for Bat-Crowns image
  • Ill keep looking too , its an interesting one.My first find was a Silver coin with bat , the only problem was it was a NY Yankees baseball bat with a coin embedded to celebrate diddling the Phillies out of the WS.The obvious batman coins too , i think some of the african countries might be worth looking at , i have rwanda elephants and lions , there might be a bat there somewhere , i also immediately thought Australia too with the dangerous critters series , kookaburras and roo's , bound to be a bat there.Good luck , if i find one ill post it image
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most countries don't seem to be proud of their bats. They get a generally poor showing on coinage, compared to lions, eagles, etc.

The bat is a good luck animal in Chinese mythology; several fantasy coins and charms from there and some examples of "hell money" have bats on them. But that's probably not really what you're after, either. I'm not aware of any genuine specimens of currency with a bat, but you're probably more likely to find them from China than from elsewhere.

In the mediaeval series, will a badly drawn angel suffice? He's got no arms...
    French feudal states, Bishopric of Valence, denier, c. 1300 AD. A denier's quite a bit smaller than your "crown-sized" target, but it was the closest thing to a bat I could find. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    WHERE'S THE BAT??

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. Bats are tough to find.

Inquiring minds wanna know... why are you making your child a "batty" collection? Does he or she have certain... uhm... special powers or sumtin'? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Rob, I'm putting together a set of The twelve animals that play an iconic role in the Stephen King 7-novel series "The Dark Tower"". The animals were "Guardians of the Beam" [suffice to say it's a very long and involved mythology], and are: Bear, Turtle, Horse, Dog, Rat, Fish, Elephant, Wolf, Lion, Eagle, Bat and Hare. The Bat is the only really elusive one in that group....

Aside to Sapyx: I LOVE the badly-drawn angel, I may make a size exception and put it in the bat slot....!
  • There are some nice Vietnam 5 (and maybe 7 ) Tien pieces with bats on them, but nowhere close to $50.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    8th Spetsnaz Airborne brigade.

Ukraine.

Other more common colors are white, red and Black

Only Bat that I have.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob, I'm putting together a set of The twelve animals that play an iconic role in the Stephen King 7-novel series "The Dark Tower"". >>

Which remain perhaps the only Stephen Kings I haven't read. I've been meaning to give those a go, but wanna make sure I lay out a good chunk of time before I dive into them. I am a voracious reader and can put away some fairly large tomes, but Stephen King himself mentioned how he and his books (particularly the Dark Tower series) are singlehandedly responsible for the massacre of entire forests in Canada. I think I also read where he considers those his magnum opus?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Two batnewps from Baltimore. Duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh BAT COIN!

The Annam 5 tien is for sale, but not close to the $50 I'm afraid. The medal is in that price range, but it's only halfcrown size.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carlsbad Caverns in NM is known for there bat population.At sundown
    millions can be seen leaving to feed at night.They may have a souvenir medal /coin
    depicting a bat.maybe try there web site.
  • All I can find, besides several 5 mace coins with bats and dragons are:

Cook Islands - 1998 proof dollar (silver) - multi-color ghost bat (KM#317)
    Samoa - 1994 proof 10 tala (silver) - flying bat (KM#101)
    Kal, Excellent finds...! I've added 'em to my watch lists.... And thanks to all who offered replies, I am grateful.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    The 1999 Sri Lankan 5 Rupee coin (KM#161) has a cricket bat. Does that count?