Home U.S. Coin Forum

The judge in the Langbord suit is taking his time to issue a ruling on the two pending motions.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
When the judge issued the big ruling last July requiring that the government file a forfeiture proceeding against the 10 1933 double eagles, that ruling was made a little over one month after the final legal brief was filed by the parties to the case.

In connection with the two motions now pending before the court [#1 the motion by the government asking for permission to expand the scope of the case by filing addtional legal claims and to bring in new parties; and #2 the motion by the Langbord family to strike out the government's "Claim" to ownership of the 10 double eagles that it filed in response to the forfeiture proceeding that it filed against the 10 double eagles as required by the 7-2009 ruling], the last legal brief was filed on 12-16-2009, almost 2 months ago.

The two pending motions are much less complicated than the motions that were ruled upon last July.

I check the court docket regularly but the case has been [on the surface] as quiet as a tomb.

This waiting for the court to rule is just annoying given the current culture we live in where everything must be instantly available.

Anyone out there in forum land have any tidbits about what, if anything, is going on under the surface and behind the scenes?

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    "This waiting for the court to rule is just annoying given the current culture we live in where everything must be instantly available."

That's a sad but true commentary about the world today.

Thanks again for keeping us up to date!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Is this the most recent update?

Where are things at now?

Inquiring minds want to know...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanctionII,
    What possible reasons can you think of for such an inordinate delay? There must be some justification. I would think there is major behind the scenes manuevering going on... with possibly an out of court settlement negotiation in process. Cheers, RickO
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Wouldn't it be nice to work in an industry where you did what you want, whenever you wanted to, at your own speed, and the public be damned.image
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    There ought to be a law requiring a responses in a timely manner. What's this judge doing - playing golf or ironing his robes?

Appreciate your updates, Sanction. Every now and then I do a search on your username to see if I missed anything about the case. Unfortunately not.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have learned about our government is that compared to the private sector it moves at glacial speed.

This is not the only suit I am following where the judge takes his time and the defendants don't do what the judge has ordered.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    how long has it been since the Langbords sent their 10 double eagles in for authentification? is getting up to 5 years?
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of last friday there has been no ruling.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how long has it been since the Langbords sent their 10 double eagles in for authentification? is getting up to 5 years? >>

The coins were sent in in 2004 and they were authenticated by the mint in 2005.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>how long has it been since the Langbords sent their 10 double eagles in for authentification? is getting up to 5 years? >>

The coins were sent in in 2004 and they were authenticated by the mint in 2005. >>

Justice delayed is justice denied
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took India courts over 25 years to rule on the Bhopal disaster. We should be
    pleased that we have such speedy courts!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

I got a judgement award last May (2009) It still has not been entered, not sure what my judge is doing. The 2 must be friends.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is corruption in government at the judicial level, but since this is about coins, I'll just stop right here. (as I lay my gavel down image )

Re:
    "The two pending motions are much less complicated than the motions that were ruled upon last July.

I check the court docket regularly but the case has been [on the surface] as quiet as a tomb.

This waiting for the court to rule is just annoying given the current culture we live in where everything must be instantly available.

Anyone out there in forum land have any tidbits about what, if anything, is going on under the surface and behind the scenes? "

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file